Old 09-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #21
PanVet
PanVet is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: Pulling slightly right

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
I just noticed that my XE is pulling very slightly to the right when I accelerate, but not when I am coasting. Is this normal? The tires seem to be balanced, no wobbling or shaking, car drives just fine otherwise.
Mine will do that also if I accelerate fast from a dead stop.
PanVet is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2019, 03:02 PM   #22
Ecomike
Ecomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of light

2001 SL1

Did any one ever figure this out?

2003 Saturn Ion 3, Manual 5 speed is doing this only when accelerating from a stop or while cruising. No pull while cruising.

Could bad engine mounts or Tranny mount cause this?
Ecomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:30 AM   #23
David R
Advanced Member
David R is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2

Hum... posting to the wrong forum for a Saturn Ion, and its a very old thread.

That said...

Assuming this a new issue, and your vehicle is high mileage. I'd be looking at a host of things in the suspension and steering. Struts aging, worn tie-rod ends, control arm bushing. There may also be other contributing factors as well.
~I'm not an authority on anything~

2009 Astra XE 5sp 225K km
2000 Honda Civic SI 5sp 172K km, AKA EX Coupe - Gone
1997 SW2 DOHC Auto 330K km - Parked, waiting for the value of scrape to go up
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:03 PM   #24
Ecomike
Ecomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of light

2001 SL1

The sight search engine dropped me here, and since this thread was about the same topic, and ion is also a Saturn with front wheel drive and Saturn suspension I started here.

Tires, rim and struts were already new. That got rid of a steady pull (curb attack on the un armed Ion bent a wheel, murdered a tire, LOL).

It had been aligned before and after the new struts were installed.

New tie rods and new sway bar links and SBL bushings added, not yet aligned but replacing the worn ones helped.

I had never heard of heard of loose tie rods causing a pull ONLY when accelerating.

I am still leaning towards possible engine mount/Tranny mount being bad???

In fact all the steering pull issues I ever worked on or had in 45 years were continuous, even while cruising and were almost always bad/new or worn tires.

I will have them recheck the strut caliper bolts and make sure the bottom ones are not moving!!! I agree on that one possibly being cause.

I am 1500 miles from the car, helping my daughter debug the cause.

Thanks for the reply!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Hum... posting to the wrong forum for a Saturn Ion, and its a very old thread.

That said...

Assuming this a new issue, and your vehicle is high mileage. I'd be looking at a host of things in the suspension and steering. Struts aging, worn tie-rod ends, control arm bushing. There may also be other contributing factors as well.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:00 PM   #25
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomike View Post
...In fact all the steering pull issues I ever worked on or had in 45 years were continuous, even while cruising and were almost always bad/new or worn tires...
A possibility of one tire having internal layers separating (probably at the right side) could account for the pulling which is being experienced.
332,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

Last edited by pierrot; 07-06-2019 at 07:09 PM.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #26
Ecomike

2001 SL1

I have never experienced, nor heard of, nor could I find any online claims that a tire issue (of any kind) would only pull to the side during acceleration. This a pull that is only during acceleration, from a dead stop or from any initial speed.

The pull stops while cruising at a steady speed.

Are you saying a tire issue can cause a pull only while accelerating?

Just to be clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
A possibility of one tire having internal layers separating (probably at the right side) could account for the pulling which is being experienced.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #27
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I intentionally highlighted the words possibility and could for a reason: I may be wrong (and I probably am - that's okay, it's not a personal thing). I believed it was something to be considered.
332,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:20 PM   #28
Ecomike

2001 SL1

My original post considered it and discounted it, but was asking for any out in left field experiences with odd causes..... In 47 years I have never seen or felt this exact issue, and I have had bad tires, new and old, bent frames, Cracked frame near where the steering hardware connects to the car, worn front end parts, busted engine and trany mounts, and even what we call death wobble on Jeeps (I also own jeeps LOL) and never had this issue before.

But thanks for the feedback!!!

Right now I am waiting for more feedback from the driver/owner (1500 miles away) as to whether the new tie rods ends and Sway bar links stopped it. It needs to be realigned first this week. I have also asked he to check for a busted engine or tranny mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
I intentionally highlighted the words possibility and could for a reason: I may be wrong (and I probably am - that's okay, it's not a personal thing). I believed it was something to be considered.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #29
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enoughmaschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

I had a tire issue last year that seemed impossible to diagnose. The car pulled slightly to one side and drove me crazy. I noticed it more while accelerating, but it was definitely always there at cruising speed. If I let go of the wheel on a highway, it would veer to one side.

Mileage was only 100k so nothing is too worn out or sloppy. The alignment shop kept saying everything is straight and within spec. They even tried to compensate for it with extra camber on one side. It started getting worse and developed a slight vibration. Eventually the tire started to visibly bulge from an outer band that had let loose. The bulge was very subtle and hard to see, but with all 4 tires off the car and lying on the ground, you could just barely see that one was slightly more oblong. Just a slight difference in tire diameter across the tread width, due to the loose band, caused the steering to do weird, unexplainable things.

It was time to replace tires anyway, and doing so 100% cleared up the issue.
'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #30
Ecomike

2001 SL1

Thanks!!!!

The tires are new, so I will add them back to the maybe causing it list!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschinenbauer View Post
I had a tire issue last year that seemed impossible to diagnose. The car pulled slightly to one side and drove me crazy. I noticed it more while accelerating, but it was definitely always there at cruising speed. If I let go of the wheel on a highway, it would veer to one side.

Mileage was only 100k so nothing is too worn out or sloppy. The alignment shop kept saying everything is straight and within spec. They even tried to compensate for it with extra camber on one side. It started getting worse and developed a slight vibration. Eventually the tire started to visibly bulge from an outer band that had let loose. The bulge was very subtle and hard to see, but with all 4 tires off the car and lying on the ground, you could just barely see that one was slightly more oblong. Just a slight difference in tire diameter across the tread width, due to the loose band, caused the steering to do weird, unexplainable things.

It was time to replace tires anyway, and doing so 100% cleared up the issue.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:58 PM   #31
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

I had some cheap tires on the back of the Astra which made some noise and vibration. The shop rebalanced the tires and in the process discovered some delamination.

Tech said not uncommon on cheap tires these days. I didn't see the issue on visual inspection so am not sure if the tech figured it out with balancing results, better visual inspection, dismounting or what.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #32
juvanta
juvanta is on a distinguished road

Good article. Really intersting
juvanta is offline   Reply With Quote