SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 07-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #1
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan
Default One headlight out on Ion, both fuses good. Bulbs good.

2005 Ion.
Replaced the bulb, still out.
Replaced both fuses, still out.
Replaced headlamp assembly, still out.

Is there by chance separate relays for each light?

Any other ideas of what I could try?
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: One headlight out on Ion, both fuses good. Bulbs good.

When I had issues with my ION's Driver's Side Headlight Bulb Socket (I'd had the Passenger Side Headlight Assembly Replaced after hitting a Deer.) I bought a new socket and spliced it in where the old one had been. The socket/contacts showed obvious signs of overheating and electrical arcing... The problem (Bulb would randomly go off/on/off/on) went away and no more issues.

I'm not sure if the Passenger and Driver Side Headlight Assembly connections are identical or not but if they are that might be one easy way to confirm the New and Old Assemblies are Good (or not). Then it's just a matter if it might be the plug connection at the Harness/Assembly, a break in the wire(s), or as you said some other overlooked connection.

Depending on what you have for testing equipment AND how far you're willing to go to troubleshoot this at home you might be able to hardwire or use a jumper wire to bypass a bad connection/connector. The Replacement Socket I bought had all kinds of extra wire. I just needed to replace the bad socket inside the Assembly on mine... but I left as much of that wire as I could alone, just in case it didn't work and I needed to re-splice it again or if I had to run the wire farther back and "hardwire" or Jump the connection.

If you're able to use or buy a Voltage or Multi-Meter you should be able to determine where you have and don't have power and/or Continuity. Hopefully if both Assemblies have identical power connectors you can compare readings from the "good" and "bad" lights to see what should be available at the Headlight.
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #3
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post
When I had issues with my ION's Driver's Side Headlight Bulb Socket (I'd had the Passenger Side Headlight Assembly Replaced after hitting a Deer.) I bought a new socket and spliced it in where the old one had been. The socket/contacts showed obvious signs of overheating and electrical arcing... The problem (Bulb would randomly go off/on/off/on) went away and no more issues.

I'm not sure if the Passenger and Driver Side Headlight Assembly connections are identical or not but if they are that might be one easy way to confirm the New and Old Assemblies are Good (or not). Then it's just a matter if it might be the plug connection at the Harness/Assembly, a break in the wire(s), or as you said some other overlooked connection.

Depending on what you have for testing equipment AND how far you're willing to go to troubleshoot this at home you might be able to hardwire or use a jumper wire to bypass a bad connection/connector. The Replacement Socket I bought had all kinds of extra wire. I just needed to replace the bad socket inside the Assembly on mine... but I left as much of that wire as I could alone, just in case it didn't work and I needed to re-splice it again or if I had to run the wire farther back and "hardwire" or Jump the connection.

If you're able to use or buy a Voltage or Multi-Meter you should be able to determine where you have and don't have power and/or Continuity. Hopefully if both Assemblies have identical power connectors you can compare readings from the "good" and "bad" lights to see what should be available at the Headlight.
Thanks for the well thought out answer.

I should have mentioned in my first post, that this is for my daughter's car who just moved out of state this past weekend.
I'd tried to figure it out in advance, but couldn't get any other answers in the general area.

Which is why I was hoping their might be some sort of relays that might operate each light independently, and her boyfriend could replace it.

Next up I guess I need to see if there's a length of harness that might be plug and play that I can have them replace next.

I'm really hoping that this isn't somehow related to the turn signal stalk at the steering wheel.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You'll need to review lighting description and wiring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (193.3 KB, 9 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Exterior Lighting Systems Description and Operation.pdf (110.5 KB, 3 views)
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
You'll need to review lighting description and wiring.
Thanks, i'll check this out later this evening.