SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 07-10-2016, 10:47 PM   #1
Rubble Monkey
Rubble Monkey is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
Question License Plate Help

I just got a used 2006 Saturn Ion (my first car) and I just got my license plates and I have no screws for it. I went to AutoZone and the guy there recommended some screws for me, the problem is the screws at the top just keep turning and never tighten, and the ones at the bottom don't even line up with the license plate! I have tried to look up what to do and get either no or conflicting information and I was wondering if anyone here can give me any suggestions on what to get. I would prefer a basic metal or sturdy black frame if possible, and I have heard that nylon fasteners are the best. I have included an image of the mounting holes on my car, any help would be deeply appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160710.jpg (191.2 KB, 13 views)
Rubble Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #2
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: License Plate Help

Looks like the Nylon Inserts the Screws go into are intact. With a flat screwdriver you should be able to remove them and use them as reference when finding screws that'll work. Worst case you can find replacement Inserts and screws that'll fit if it's stripped out.
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #3
Lion IX
Lion IX is on a distinguished road

The top inserts may be stripped out (mine tightens on the top left, but the right one slips after a certain point). Take care to not over-tighten in the future (probably not your fault). The bottom part should have 2 rubber pads (cone shaped). The license plate is only held on by the top 2 screws. Those might be best found at a salvage yard if possible (you might have a bit of luck at the parts store, but no guarantees). The top inserts should be pretty standard, and it'd help to pull one out to be matched at a parts store.
Lion IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
Rubble Monkey

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Thanks, both of you! You guys are lifesavers!
Old 07-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubble Monkey View Post
Thanks, both of you! You guys are lifesavers!
Did you resolve the issue? Snag a couple new/used inserts and/or find a few screws that fit?
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:21 PM   #6
Rubble Monkey

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post
Did you resolve the issue? Snag a couple new/used inserts and/or find a few screws that fit?
Not yet. I was trying to find out what size of fasteners to use, but there are like three measurements on them and I wanted to make sure I got the right ones. I would assume that since the head of the fasteners measure 5/8" that is what I need to look for, but I'm not sure. My Dad is coming to the house tomorrow and he knows more about this stuff than I do, so I was going to ask him to make sure I didn't do something stupid when I ordered them. Thank you for asking, I really appreciate your concern!
Old 07-20-2016, 02:49 AM   #7
dcjredline
dcjredline has a spectacular aura aboutdcjredline has a spectacular aura aboutdcjredline has a spectacular aura about

You shouldnt need to order them. Take one out (using a screw driver as mentioned) and bring it to AZ with you to get new ones. They sell them usually in the help section, they come in a clear package with red backing and have screws and white plastic inserts that will pop right in. There are only like 3 different sized ones for most every car out there.

Not specifically the ones you need but they look like this.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31MH0VE8VZL.jpg
dcjredline is offline   Reply With Quote