SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 06-20-2016, 10:19 PM   #1
that1man
that1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nice

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Install inverter in my car

Has anyone here ever did anything like in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKkeEsZFw40

I replaced my fuses for my cigarette lighters front and back but I think I they're completely burnt out now because I tried charging things that needed more volts than they can give. I looked at the fuses and they aren't blown out.

Can someone guide me with this? Even if I have to leave the inverter sitting out somewhere and not mounted like in the video I would greatly appreciate it. Need to have a way to charge at least my phone because I will be traveling out of state soon
that1man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Install inverter in my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1man View Post
Has anyone here ever did anything like in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKkeEsZFw40

I replaced my fuses for my cigarette lighters front and back but I think I they're completely burnt out now because I tried charging things that needed more volts than they can give. I looked at the fuses and they aren't blown out.

Can someone guide me with this? Even if I have to leave the inverter sitting out somewhere and not mounted like in the video I would greatly appreciate it. Need to have a way to charge at least my phone because I will be traveling out of state soon
Thanks for the Video gives me some Ideas of my own... As for your issue, Per the end of the video where they effectively took an Extension cable to connect their GPS to Power...

Are you or have you been able to confirm power at the Power Outlet Fuse(s)? If YES and you don't have power at the Outlets you may be right that the Wire(s) have been fried... As a troubleshoot/temp fix/work around you might be able to run a Heavy Duty Extension Socket with a properly sized In-Line Fuse (don't overfuse the circuit) to bypass a bad Socket/wire(s). With that you can run much of what you need until you can repair/replace the bad sockets.
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

that1man, 'rednecking' an inverter as the video did (removing the guts from the protective housing?) and installing it without providing protection to potential electrocution hazards from 120 volts ac is simply asking for trouble no matter who claims its safe. While ac outlets are standard in every ambulance, heavy equipment tow trucks, and rv's, these vehicles are designed from the ground up to abide by electrical codes to prevent electrocution. Anyone can wire up anything electrical but who pays attention to electrical hazards? Even a small inverter can electrocute anyone foolish enough to let snow or rain on them while laying on the floor of a vehicle. Emergency vehicles using every imaginable electric equipment will have their ac outlets installed in outlet boxes to protect wiring against bumping against anything metal - the reason to protect outlets with their own housing. Rednecking outlets without protective housings is dangerous no matter how careful anyone is. Another hazard is without warning labeling on the outlets, someone may try plugging in a hair dryer and blow the fuse or worse blow the electronics altogether and ruin a custom installation. Very few people pay attention to rated wattage of inverters and simply overload them with useless things that should never be plugged into inverters (the exceptions are large wattage ones). Wattage numbers are deceiving. Emergency vehicles have their ac electrical systems rated for around 50 amps. Doing the math translates this to (120v x 50amps) 6k watts, more than enough to connect a lot of electronics used in emergency rooms. Inverters with ratings less than 1500 watts means small electronics like an ac operated cell phone charger (if a 12v adapter isn't bought for car use). A 1200 watt inverter means it can supply up to 10 amps of ac current, the inverter may begin heating up when half the current is used and without air cooling, the electronics will heat up to higher temps than if it was allowed free air cooling. Smaller inverters like those rated at 120 watts means it can supply one(1) amp of ac current. Knowing what your ac electrical devices need (current rating) can determine what size inverter is suitable. Let's say you have several ac devices with the largest one rated for 2 amps ac use. Multiplying 120vac x 2 amps = 440 watts. If two ac devices are used, the second device should be determined the same way to arrive at its wattage rating. Add these two wattage ratings together if two outlets are supplied with an inverter to determine total wattage needed for an adapter. If one ac outlet is supplied then the 440 watt rating determines what size inverter is needed. buy an inverter close to this wattage or go to the next size larger. A little over size is safer than under size. The actual dimensions of the inverter determines where it can be mounted (if mounting holes are available) and wired into the car's electrical system.

Wiring an inverter can be as easy as plugging into the power outlet as is or custom wired to mount the inverter in a place off the floor but allow air circulation and access to turning it on and off manually. If custom wiring an inverter, attention needs to be paid to having a dedicated fused power line with wire gauge to handle the current needed and the same for the ground wire. A small inverter may be better left as is and simply plugged into the power outlet; power outlets are either switched to allow power only when ignition is turned on or always powered. Always powered means anything connected without a switch on the device will drain the battery if not switched off or completely disconnected from the outlet.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:27 PM   #4
that1man
that1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nice

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

fdryer, Thanks for all the info! My settings were not set up to receive notifications when someone replied.

The inverter thing seems way out of my league so unless I can find a step by step guide or someone do it for me, I'll hold off for now

Do you know of a place online where I can get cig lighter port/receptacle replacements for my model? I searched online and am still looking.

I saw a video, link below, where a guy took the "insulator washer" and that worked for him but I took the back cig lighter port out and I don't see a bolt or washer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmwXCBo2M9k

Can you help me?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Try ebay or equivalent sites, online GM parts, your local GM dealer service department. Either repair the power outlets yourself or ask a friend with skills. Last is paying a repair shop to fix it. What determines whether or not a repair is needed or replacing parts depends on what was used for charging. In general, power outlets are fused for around 15 amps. Trying to use more than 15 amps simply blows the fuse. This also heats up the wires supplying power to each outlet. Abusing power outlets is protected by fuses. Trying to use higher amperage fuses is a recipe for fire.

The video simply shows someone unfamiliar with electrical wiring finding a cure - the washer may have been corroded or the nut was loose. Heating from power being drawn expands metal. Cycling power may have loosened the nut to cause a faulty connection rendering the power outlet intermittent or failure. If this person simply tried to retighten the nut, he may have fixed it without removing the washer. That video is about a Toyota and not your Saturn so your power outlet may have slightly different construction. Unless another Ion member can comment, you'd have to remove each power outlet and fascia to examine it. Be aware that one wire to each power outlet is HOT when a fuse is in place unless wiring burned out. Removing the fuse to each power outlet allows a safer work environment.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:22 PM   #6
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Found those parts on eBay like you suggested. Installed them (easier than I thought) and both back and front cig receptacles work again

Parts were under bux a piece

Thanks!