SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 12-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Sodzo
Sodzo is on a distinguished road

Default Power window and mirror problems

Hello everyone! I'm a loyal Saturn Ion owner and I want to keep up on everything to keep it running like new. My 2006 Saturn Ion 2 has 118k miles on it and some of the electrical is starting to go! The passenger side power window will roll down but not roll back up but the driver side can roll the passenger window up and down just fine.

Also, on the driver side side -mirror, the switch will move the mirror left and right but not up and down! Help!!!
Sodzo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
jjones0377
jjones0377 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Power window and mirror problems

I had this same issue. Except with the drivers door. Not the passenger. You're switch is worn out. Just replace it. If you read my pst asking for help a couple days ago, I also posted a reply stating I "fixed" it. Wat I did was a temporary fix. But it isn't probably possible on that window. I swapped some wires in the drivers switch around. And I can use my drivers window until I get the new switch.

The mirror issue is also the switch sounds like. Mind did the same thing. I could move any direction I wanted except right. Replaced switch. Problem fixed.
jjones0377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

or a wire's broken in the door boot...
2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
or a wire's broken in the door boot...
+1 that is more likely.

Check both the wire(s) and Switch(s) for issues.

Personally currently got completely "dead" (both sides/directions) mirrors and my Driver's side Power Lock Switch is dead. (Power Locks Work via Fob or Passenger Side so it's seems localized. Hoping it's a bad ground wire and can run an alternative at least for a "quick fix".)
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
abby1diesel
abby1diesel is on a distinguished road

i currently have the same issue with the windows , and my passenger window was stuck down .. so i brought to a mech. and he said there was a ground issue. he got it up , but now all 4 windows are not working... i need help also. where is the ground?? 2005 saturn ion . 4 door.
abby1diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Well that depends. When I had mine repaired a few years ago... I was told of a large quantity of Ground wires in the ION's setup.

Wish I could be of more help...I grabbed a photocopy of the wiring diagram for the ION's Power Locks. If we were talking about the Power Locks the Ground wires are Black.

Assuming they keep the same color code throughout then check any Black wires you may find for continuity to ground.

I'd probably try getting a copy of the Wiring Diagrams for the ION (like http://www.haynes.com/products/productID/510 ) before you start hunting. Maybe you'll luck out and one or two "common" grounds that would result in a complete failure of all the windows.

Locally, my Library has copies of various Vehicle Repair Manuals (including the ION Haynes Manual)... maybe see what's available to you nearby.

If you don't have any luck... I could probably check out a copy and look up what you need. (Plus, fix my Mirror/Power Lock issue)
Old 02-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

So did the Mechanic claim to have fixed it or just "fix it" (temporarily get the window up) and say to repair it you'd need to permanently repair the ground issue?

Did it work for a time afterward or no? You might check for a blown fuse(s) see if it's something simple. (If it happens to burn out additional fuses then you've got a short/overload issue.)
Old 02-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
abby1diesel
abby1diesel is on a distinguished road

well the mechanic got the passanger window up . he told me he would have to troubleshoot more. i don't have too much experience with electrical systems. don't even know where the ground is..
abby1diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby1diesel View Post
i don't have too much experience with electrical systems. don't even know where the ground is..
This may be a bit long but...

Then I'd suggest some reading at your local library (or online). At the moment I've got a copy of a Black&Decker Home Wiring Guide Book... which (IMO) does a very good job of simplifying the issue of Electrical wiring. (If you wanted to do repairs to your residence... but the concepts are similar. Of course you may find resources that cover auto electrical too.).

Basically the ION's "ground" source can be anything you might otherwise use during a Jump-start (where you ground a clamp not on the Battery - (Neg) terminal but an unpainted bit of metal connected to the frame/engine block.) So while connecting a Jump Start cable to say your Power Windows/Power Locks/Radio's "ground" wires is VERY BAD (you could overload/burn/short them out) They do go to the same place. The "ground".

If you look at your ION's Trunk Battery you can easily see how the Battery's (-) Terminal is "grounded" by a short cable to the ION's frame. That is one, if not the most important, ground in the ION.

So any ground wires you see eventually should "go to ground" in similar fashion as the battery.

If you ever suspect a "bad ground" to the Battery (or in the power lock/window system, etc.) during "troubleshooting" you can "jump" a bad ground to a good one or by-pass and create a new ground path to confirm.

So to simplify it all down. If you find where in the windows system your ground wire(s) are disconnected/broken... Your guestion of "where is the ground"? It can be in various different places. (You can try creating a new ground near the break. Or just "jump" over the bad bit of wire,etc.)
Old 06-17-2015, 07:01 PM   #10
Buckskinner15
Buckskinner15 is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for the advice/experience shared on this and a few other threads!

I was having the same problem on my 04 Saturn Ion 2. Intermittently, all of the windows would stop working except for the passenger front when using its own switch. I had also tried a new driver's side front window switch with no success. When I checked out the wires going through the boot between the body and the driver's side front door, multiple wires were completely broken, cut halfway through, or damaged. All of this damage was located in the area where the wires go from the boot into the door. I ended up ordering the complete wire harness (GM part # 10376708) from my local dealer for about $120 to avoid the headache of trying to splice that many wires back together. After installing the new wire harness (complete with some extra tape around the wires for added protection) all the windows worked perfectly.

On a related note, the power side view mirrors have never worked for us. I had previously tried replacing the switch, but it made no difference. After installing the new wire harness, both mirrors would adjust in only one direction. I ordered another new switch, installed it, and voila! I now have working power side view mirrors!
Buckskinner15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:03 PM   #11
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskinner15 View Post
Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for the advice/experience shared on this and a few other threads!

(Cliped) I ended up ordering the complete wire harness (GM part # 10376708) from my local dealer for about $120 to avoid the headache of trying to splice that many wires back together. After installing the new wire harness (complete with some extra tape around the wires for added protection) all the windows worked perfectly.

On a related note, the power side view mirrors have never worked for us. I had previously tried replacing the switch, but it made no difference. After installing the new wire harness, both mirrors would adjust in only one direction. I ordered another new switch, installed it, and voila! I now have working power side view mirrors!
How is the repair holding up?
Lost my Window controls (except Front Passenger from its switch) recently. With "Winter" having arrived here Yesterday... I was able to get everything but the Power Mirrors working just in time.

I'm currently debating if I should follow your experience and order a replacement mirror switch for the "quick fix". I thought I got all the broken wires and checked them before reinstall. Got a wire diagram I can use to check the switch... has anyone that has tested the switch noticed any particular failure point or advice on tests to avoid?
Old 11-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #12
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

My power windows save for the RF, and both sideview mirrors quit working in October. Power locks still work, though. Car's got almost 121K on the clock.

It spent two Saturdays at a local repair shop as they eliminate the possible sources of the problem. So far, the switches in the driver's door have been replaced and they tried a new BCM but neither restored functions so this coming Saturday, they will check and trace all of the wires from the door to the body.

Fortunately, I haven't been charged as they continue to track down the problem. However, if they don't find any wiring issues, they will send me off to my old Saturn (now Mitsu) retailer, where there are still former Saturn techs on the payroll.
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #13
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

128k+ here. Surprised when they pulled the switches they didn't check the Continuity of the wires at the Door Frame connectors or inspect the wires at the Boot, first.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:02 PM   #14
Tethys
Advanced Member

Wires fixed or replaced and now the windows all work from the driver's seat. The new wiring didn't help the mirrors but since I don't adjust those nearly as often I wasn't worried about them. It took 3 weekends to get this far; I didn't want the car in the shop for a 4th Saturday.
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey
Old 12-01-2015, 01:06 AM   #15
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post
Wires fixed or replaced and now the windows all work from the driver's seat. The new wiring didn't help the mirrors but since I don't adjust those nearly as often I wasn't worried about them. It took 3 weekends to get this far; I didn't want the car in the shop for a 4th Saturday.
Did they suggest a possible cause or what they want to try next? (For the Mirrors) Still debating buying a new switch and seeing what happens... (so if the wiring diagram shows a problem or I fry it during testing I can throw in a fresh one...)
Old 12-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #16
2007_ion2
2007_ion2 is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Anyone have any issues with their drivers mirror? I can't move it up or to the left. I can use the power switch to have it moved to right or down and that's it. The switch will move the passengers side tho.
2007_ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:40 AM   #17
Tethys
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post
Did they suggest a possible cause or what they want to try next? (For the Mirrors) Still debating buying a new switch and seeing what happens... (so if the wiring diagram shows a problem or I fry it during testing I can throw in a fresh one...)
No, they only offered to keep looking for the issue behind why the mirrors don't work. My next step, as they outlined previously, would have been at a dealership service department.
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey
Old 12-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #18
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007_ion2 View Post
Anyone have any issues with their drivers mirror? I can't move it up or to the left. I can use the power switch to have it moved to right or down and that's it. The switch will move the passengers side tho.
That suggests you might only have a few wires broken in your Driver's side Boot, a Motor problem, or a switch problem. 22664402 is the GM part # for the Mirror Switch and a Wiring Diagram is included here... http://www.kitcentral.com/index.php?...t=9461&start=0
Old 12-03-2015, 11:28 PM   #19
Tethys
Advanced Member

Thank you for the extra info, lgodave!
2015 Buick Verano Turbo