SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 12-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
tadcan
tadcan has a spectacular aura abouttadcan has a spectacular aura about

Idea Cruise control activation

Hello everybody,

My girlfriend bought a Saturn Astra XE a couple of weeks ago.

So far we are really happy with the car. But there is this one thing missing, a cruise control.

A couple of days ago I was talking with my friend in Germany who owns the same car as a 1.7 liter Diesel and the guy asked me if I have the buttons for the cruise control and yes I do. There are two bottons but they have no functions.

So my friend tells me that I just have to go to the car dealership and the mechanics have to simply activate the cruise control!!! In Germany they charge between 0-100 depending on how nice the dealership is. Mostly it is about 45.

I used google to check some German Astra communities (I am German myself) and yes my friend was not joking. You can simply activate the cruise control, since the buttons are already there. Many people in German have done it and the cruise control works.

Currently I live in Vancouver, Canada and called some GM dealerships and they have no idea what I am talking about.

They try to explain to me that I am either wrong, missunderstood something or it will cost me 500 dollars since a software update on the car might take 5 hours or so.

My question is:

Has anybody activated his cruise control here in North America? If not could you be please so nice and ask your dealership how to do that? It might take some time and the people would have to do some research but in the end we might all benefit from that.

Kind regards!
tadcan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Cruise control activation

Here's an answer that will make you really happy; You HAVE cruise control already. All NA astra come it.

To turn it on you'll see behind the cruise control rocker switch there is a button that does the whole length of the switch, press and hold down that switch for 3 seconds till you CC ON appear on your odometer screen. Enjoy the car and welcome to the forums
09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
tadcan

Hi nicolas_p

I am a little bit confused. The pre owner of the car told us specifically that the car has NO cruise control since the buttons on the switch don't work.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Like nicolas_p said. Your car has cruise control (it's a standard feature on the Saturn Astra). The previous owner probably just didn't know how to turn it on.

If you have an owner's manual, it might help.

Behind the two way rocker switch on the stalk, there is a third button. You have to press and hold this for about 3 seconds to turn on or off the cruise control. Then the front two buttons will work for set/resume/accelerate. You'll see a "CC on" in the odometer area briefly flash when you turn it on.

The cruise control doesn't work below 25 mph.
Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #5
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR

Yes, one thing that is particularly unintuative about the cruise on/off switch is that you push in towards the steering column...ie along the length of the turn stalk.

The other thing I found annoying about the Astra is that it wipes out the "on" setting every time the car is turned off. Most cars I've driven allow you to leave it in the "on" setting all the time.

It appears the the Opel engineers were extremely worried about someone turning cruise on by accident...surprised they didn't add a flip up protective cover for the switch a la Star Trek.
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

You also have to tap the brake after starting the car before it will engage. That is really only an issue for those with a stick and in the rare instances where you go directly from parked to turning the cruise on without needing to brake somewhere in between, like leaving a rest area on the highway.

If I remember right, the cruise will also automatically disengage if you have your foot on the gas and hold the speed above set for a certain distance, can't remember how far, 1 kilometer maybe.
My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:23 AM   #7
tadcan

Guys, it works! I am so happy!

Thank you so much for your help.

I guess the pre owner had the car for 4 years and never used the cruise control

So far we are really happy with it. Next thing we might get though is an armrest but that can wait a little bit.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
PanVet
PanVet is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L

If you have the CC engaged the easiest way to disengage it without having to step on the brake is just press and release the button you use to turn it on with. That will just disengage the CC but not turn it off so it is ready to be used again. Or if you prefer just step on the brakes. I like to disengage it first before braking but that is a personal choice.
PanVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanVet View Post
If you have the CC engaged the easiest way to disengage it without having to step on the brake is just press and release the button you use to turn it on with. That will just disengage the CC but not turn it off so it is ready to be used again. Or if you prefer just step on the brakes. I like to disengage it first before braking but that is a personal choice.
Same here, I prefer to never use the brakes on the highway if I can help it.
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote