SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
haunter
haunter is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default anyone else have issues with glove box closing?

I hate to go in the glove box of the astra because, well, it doesnt like to stay shut. it will randomly open again afterwords, especially when its below 50F and above 90F

makes it a real pain 6 months out of the year here in Illinois

anyone else have this issue....and did you ever fix it?
haunter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
oilburner
oilburner is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: anyone else have issues with glove box closing?

Yes I have the same issue, I haven't really gotten around to messing with it more to see if I could fix it. It is the worst in the cold.

I can tell that the problem is that the spring for the latch is too weak to offset the friction of them especially when cold. The issue could be the friction or the spring, but its one or the both. If you use it a lot its really annoying, but I don't really so haven't look into fixing it. You could try getting grease into the latch, but for me if I just close it gently and lightly vibrate the door and lightly wiggle the handle once its parked and not going anywhere the latch eventually makes its way to shut the door. Slamming it seems to ensure it never works.

The rear shift unlock button also gets stuck for me when parked outside in the cold. The plastics were not tested very well for the cold. It also makes a lot more noise in the cold.
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
PanVet
PanVet is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L

I have the same issue. Comes open when I turn left because the left side spring is weak.

I don't keep anything in it anymore so I won't have to open it. When it comes open I just leave it for a while then the spring will eventually push the latch out and I can close it and it will typically stay closed.
PanVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR

There is another thread on the board regarding someone who disassembled the glove box and put a stronger spring in it. It didn't have a lot of detail on how to get at the spring so if you can dig this out it would probably be beneficial to post for everyone.
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

CRC White Lithium Grease in a spray can, the kind that sprays on and has a carrier that evaporates, is what you need. It fixed my issue. I haven't had a glovebox pop in 6 months. It's like $4 a can or something like that. Totally worth it. Once you've used it a couple of times, you'll lube everything in your car with it, and everything will work much more smoothly. It's great for power windows, too.
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Burgandy25
Burgandy25 has a spectacular aura aboutBurgandy25 has a spectacular aura aboutBurgandy25 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla sky View Post
CRC White Lithium Grease in a spray can, the kind that sprays on and has a carrier that evaporates, is what you need. It fixed my issue. I haven't had a glovebox pop in 6 months. It's like $4 a can or something like that. Totally worth it. Once you've used it a couple of times, you'll lube everything in your car with it, and everything will work much more smoothly. It's great for power windows, too.
could you explain the process for powered windows? do you spray the motor or lube the rubber "Squeegee" and let it dry then wipe it down? might sound stupid but I would do this.
Burgandy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

You can lube the felts, and you can take the door panels off and lube all of the joints. If your windows are slow, it will speed them up. If you've ever applied a grease to your felts in the past, you need to clean them before you apply fresh grease.
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
haunter
haunter is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn4Ever View Post
There is another thread on the board regarding someone who disassembled the glove box and put a stronger spring in it. It didn't have a lot of detail on how to get at the spring so if you can dig this out it would probably be beneficial to post for everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla sky View Post
thanks guys Ill check into both
haunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
martlet
martlet is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L
2008 VUE Green Line

Yep - 2008XR - it closed but only if I held it in place for a good ten seconds after I closed it. Replaced it under warranty. The process that has been described here sounds good. Best of luck.
martlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
nrramse
nrramse is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Ugh yes mine does this too, but just when its cold. I guess it doesn't get very cold in Belgium LOL.

It will close after getting the car nice and warm, so I haven't tried to troubleshoot.
2008 Astra XE, 5 speed stick
nrramse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
Weeman
Weeman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Mine latches but it rattles a lot, even slight pressure makes the sound go away. Not sure if it's a related issue to it not latching..
Weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
LivingColour
LivingColour is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeman View Post
Mine latches but it rattles a lot, even slight pressure makes the sound go away. Not sure if it's a related issue to it not latching..
Mine rattles like crazy too!! Only thing I don't like about the car. Almost to the point now where I might try to buy a new door if that is possible. Or do you have to buy a whole new glove box assembly? Either way, I want to get this fixed ASAP.
LivingColour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Try a bit of stick on foam weatherstrip around the perimiter to tighten things up
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
eneloop
eneloop is on a distinguished road

I did the same as above. Cleaned and lubed the latch and all has been well.
eneloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
Supe
Supe is on a distinguished road

Had the glovebox door replaced under warranty once, and it failed again, at roughly the same mileage interval (30k).

At least on mine (the replacement door), the biggest PITA was that there is NO way to nondestructively separate the two halves of the glovebox door. No screws, no fasteners, and the latch mechanism was clearly in place while the two plastic clamshell halves were ultrasonically welded together.

However, since a replacement door is about $100, I said what the heck, and gave it a go. Once again, note that cleaning/lubing was NOT an option, as the cam latch mechanism is not accessible from the door handle, and isn't even directly connected.

The two halves of the glovebox door can be carefully separated using something with a flat blade. My Harbor Freight gasket scraper was just right, about an inch wide on the head. Starting at the top of the door, gently start prying the inner and outer halves apart. By gently pushing down, you will crack the relatively fragile plastic welds without doing any damage. Work your way around the sides, and by the time the top and two sides are done, you can just pull the bottom apart by hand.

You'll be facing the mechanism depicted below. There is a relatively thick glop of lithium grease on each cam, and what has to be the world's weakest return spring on the bottom.

I removed that spring and replaced it with one that came in a universal box-o-springs from the local big box hardware store. Dimensionally they were about the same, but the replacement was noticeably stiffer. A few test tries out in my frigid garage indicated that they would retract and extend just fine with the new spring, regardless of the state of the grease.

Clean off the plastic burrs around where the plastic was fused together on the door perimeter. I used a light bead of liquid nails to reattach the two halves, following the lines where you could tell the two halves were originally joined, and used spring clamps to hold in place while it set.

End cost to me was nothing, as it was all parts I had laying around. Door functions better than before, and there's no discernible difference that it had ever been separated/modified in any way.

Hopefully this saves someone else the headache and endless internet searching that I went through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (2).jpg (208.3 KB, 108 views)
Supe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
mbenus
mbenus is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

The glove box design is truly pathetic.

A simple latch would keep it closed.

Undo the latch and your planet's gravity would pull the door open.

Centuries-old technology, tried and true.
mbenus is offline   Reply With Quote