Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 01-15-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2
Default RKE has developed a mind of it's own

On my 99 SC-2 I have been experiencing some problems with the RKE/security system.

I have become quite good at resetting the mode and operation of my RKE system. Of late, it has started giving me problems. I have the system set for mode 1 which locks with one push of the lock button and chirps the horn once on the second push of the lock button. The unlock button, unlocks the drivers door and turns on the dome light on the first push and unlocks the passenger door with the second push.

However what it has been doing is locking normally as described above, BUT when I unlock and get in, it will not let me start the car. I have to jump pins 4 and 8 on the ADL, (assembly data link) and reset the mode to mode 1 to start the car. When I jump pins 4 and 8, the horn chirps 14 times. When you jump those pins, the number of horn chirps is supposed to indicate the mode the RKE is in. Therefor for me, it SHOULD only chirp once, not 14 times. In the instructions in the "HOW TO" section, posts that show how to reset the RKE system do not list a mode 14. I am wondering if this is some form of "failure" indication.

After I go through the process of resetting the mode the car starts normally. This will not happen every time. BUT likely 6 out of 10 times, I will have to go through this to start the car.

Anybody else had a similiar problem or thoughts on this.

Thanks
1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: RKE has developed a mind of it's own

Are you sure you're performing the programming correctly? The instructions basically let you choose what mode (jumper left in pins 4 & 8), manually cycle the ignition switch the same number of times as the mode number and ensuring its off when done, pressing the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the remote until the horn chirps the mode number you selected (taking up to 15 seconds to finish), and following up with the other remote in less than a minute to program that remote, finishing by removing the jumper wire and testing each remote.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
Special Forces
Special Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

I'm actually having a problem with my brother's '99 SL2. His factory security system is acting weird. When I jump those pins I don't get any horn chirps even before when the factory settings and RKE were still programmed. All I get is the flashing of the interior dome light and the sound of relay of the security module behind the rear passenger seat.

I pretended that the horn did its thing and cycled the key 13 times to disable the system. But I could not reprogram the RKE because nothing happened when I held the buttons (supposedly the doors unlock?). So I seemed to have disabled it but one of my family members was using the car today and it wouldn't start when he entered the car with the key. Eventually he started over, unlocked the driver side door, got in, closed the door, LOCKED the doors and then the car started fine.

I'm not sure what the heck it is doing.
/// Need rebuilt valve bodies? PM Me. \\\
//// Why bother with ebay when I'm right here? \\\\\
Valve bodies built to order

Please PM me about valve bodies, do not post a visitor message.
Special Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Are you sure you're performing the programming correctly? The instructions basically let you choose what mode (jumper left in pins 4 & 8), manually cycle the ignition switch the same number of times as the mode number and ensuring its off when done, pressing the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the remote until the horn chirps the mode number you selected (taking up to 15 seconds to finish), and following up with the other remote in less than a minute to program that remote, finishing by removing the jumper wire and testing each remote.
Yup, I did it exactly as described. After I hold the lock and unlock buttons, I get the one horn chirp confirming mode 1. A subsequent test confirms the reset. But when I come back to the car either in the morning to go to work or after work, I get the same thing, doors unlock but the engine will not start, inserting the jumper produces the 14 horn chirps. I have to do the reprogramming again to start the car.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

When I found the RKE module not being bright enough to unlock the passenger door on a '97 SC2 with the remote I grabbed a module from a j/y '97 for $15. Took longer to get to the yard & back then to swap it too.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
When I found the RKE module not being bright enough to unlock the passenger door on a '97 SC2 with the remote I grabbed a module from a j/y '97 for $15. Took longer to get to the yard & back then to swap it too.
So you think the module is loosing touch with reality? I have been thinking along that line. A replacement module would require pairing the fobs right?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Yes, with a different module you'd have to resync the fobs. With the '97 it was as simple as jumping the pins for programming it & holding the lock/unlock buttons on each fob in sequence. At some point between '99 and '00 it got changed so you have to have a dealer reprogram it.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Yes, with a different module you'd have to resync the fobs. With the '97 it was as simple as jumping the pins for programming it & holding the lock/unlock buttons on each fob in sequence. At some point between '99 and '00 it got changed so you have to have a dealer reprogram it.
Do you know how to tell when that change was made? Since the car I am having trouble with is a 99, I may be out of luck in the reprogramming.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

According to wolfman you should be good with the easy procedure with the '99, anyone with a '00-'02 have to use the dealer.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
According to wolfman you should be good with the easy procedure with the '99, anyone with a '00-'02 have to use the dealer.
Thanks for all the help and info.