Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2
Default Squeaky Clutch, bad gas mileage

I did a search for the squeaky clutch pedal. I've already tried all the things that were mentioned. I disconnected the rod from the pedal, pushed the rod by hand. This showed the squeak to be from the rod, not the pedal. I still removed the pedal, cleaned and lubed the pivot bushing. I have tried every lubricant on the rod, oil, lithium grease, silicone spray. I have tried cleaning the rod with scotch brite. All no help. I am about to just remove the clutch master cyl and see what I can do from that end.

Before I do this, does anybody have any other suggestions. I am having this on my 99 SC-2 but my wife's 95 SL-2 does this as well as my brother's 96 SL-2.

Next problem, just in the last couple of weeks, my 99 SC-2 has suffered a MAJOR reduction in gas mileage. There has been no appreciable loss in power and the engine seems to be running fine. However, the gas mileage has dropped to only 17 MPG .

We have been experiencing very hot days here. Lows not below 80 and days over 100. I did recently have to replace the catalytic converter.

Any thoughts.
1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2
Default Re: Squeaky Clutch, bad gas mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
...squeaky clutch pedal. ...
Any thoughts.
Just like mine when the hydraulics was croaking. Time for a new Clutch Hydraulic System. $155.25 + Shipping

Quote:
the gas mileage has dropped to only 17 MPG .
We have been experiencing very hot days here. Lows not below 80 and days over 100. Any thoughts.
Sorry. No ideas why mileage drops from heat (AKA: "bump")
I'm going to go turn up the A/C...
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
...my 99 SC-2 has suffered a MAJOR reduction in gas mileage....We have been experiencing very hot days here. Lows not below 80 and days over 100...
Any thoughts.
Any additional info that might help?

"I'd rather be in Las Vegas 104 degrees than Memphis Tennessee 90 degrees, you know why? L e g a l i z e d p r o s t i t u t i o n. In any weather that takes the edge off." ---- Patient #3 (RAY ROMANO) to Dr. Katz (JONATHAN KATZ)
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Any additional info that might help?

"I'd rather be in Las Vegas 104 degrees than Memphis Tennessee 90 degrees, you know why? L e g a l i z e d p r o s t i t u t i o n. In any weather that takes the edge off." ---- Patient #3 (RAY ROMANO) to Dr. Katz (JONATHAN KATZ)

Thanks for the input about the clutch. As for the oldest profession, no comment. But another thing that makes Lost Wages more inhabitable is the fact that right now, according to the National Weather Service, it is 87 degrees with only 15% humidity in Vegas. Right now it is 81 degrees with a whopping 82% humidity in Memphis
Old 08-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Sudden decrease in mileage with no other symptoms? Check the front O2 sensor. another "guess" bump

(assuming you are correctly calculating mpg by odometer reading - miles traveled divided by gallons needed to bring tank back to full)
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Sudden decrease in mileage with no other symptoms? Check the front O2 sensor. another "guess" bump

(assuming you are correctly calculating mpg by odometer reading - miles traveled divided by gallons needed to bring tank back to full)
Would not a problem with the front O2 sensor give me a check light? I'll look at it anyway, thanks. Yes that is how I calculate my mileage. Actually some consider me a bit anal about the information I keep track of. I have a complete log book I keep in my glove box. One section is just for gas. ALL gas is logged with date, total miles on vehicle, miles on tank, $/gal and total price, and mpg. I always fill the tank to the top every time, never partial tank. I reset the trip odometer at every fill up.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Time for a new Clutch Hydraulic System. $155.25 + Shipping
I think it was Autozone I saw a couple of weeks ago had the hydro system for $99. Not sure of brand
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
saturn_babe
saturn_babe is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:
I did a search for the squeaky clutch pedal. I've already tried all the things that were mentioned. I disconnected the rod from the pedal, pushed the rod by hand. This showed the squeak to be from the rod, not the pedal. I still removed the pedal, cleaned and lubed the pivot bushing. I have tried every lubricant on the rod, oil, lithium grease, silicone spray. I have tried cleaning the rod with scotch brite. All no help. I am about to just remove the clutch master cyl and see what I can do from that end.

Before I do this, does anybody have any other suggestions. I am having this on my 99 SC-2 but my wife's 95 SL-2 does this as well as my brother's 96 SL-2.

Next problem, just in the last couple of weeks, my 99 SC-2 has suffered a MAJOR reduction in gas mileage. There has been no appreciable loss in power and the engine seems to be running fine. However, the gas mileage has dropped to only 17 MPG .

We have been experiencing very hot days here. Lows not below 80 and days over 100. I did recently have to replace the catalytic converter.

Any thoughts.
Hi, I have a 97 SL and my clutch squeaks! It does it more in the cold weather than warm. Drives me nuts! I never got anyone to clean or lube anything. I took it to some Saturn Dealer nearby and asked. They told me that it could need a new transmission. But if it shifts just fine, it's just a noise you'll have to deal with. I dunno if I trust that opinion... have you heard that before, tho? My clutch drives just fine... just that noise gets annoying sometimes.
saturn_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

New transmission? Dealerships say the darnedest things! Does the sound appear to be coming from under the hood, or from inside the car?

It's probably the pedal pivot point, right inside the car. Slither up under the dash and look for where the pedal arm comes down, and look for where it pivots way up at the top. Shoot that area lightly with some spray oil that contains teflon. Bet a nickel it'll shut it right up.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
saturn_babe
saturn_babe is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
New transmission? Dealerships say the darnedest things! Does the sound appear to be coming from under the hood, or from inside the car?

It's probably the pedal pivot point, right inside the car. Slither up under the dash and look for where the pedal arm comes down, and look for where it pivots way up at the top. Shoot that area lightly with some spray oil that contains teflon. Bet a nickel it'll shut it right up.

It's inside the car... when I press it in it squeaks... I'll try that and see what it does. I usually just crank up the radio or tune it out but there's times I want quiet when I'm driving and the squeak gets distracting!

And thanks for the advice
saturn_babe is offline   Reply With Quote