saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #21
youngrwaggs
youngrwaggs is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Re: RPM Not Dropping after shift

Ok, second opinion works for me...

My temperature is usually at ~1/4, like wolf said in his post. I will go ahead and do this tonight.

Thanks!
98 SL2 5 speed, 166k miles

It's unconditional love ;D
youngrwaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #22
youngrwaggs

1998 SL2

I swapped out my thermostat last night. My temperature gauge reads what it should now, and I idle at about 800 rather than 1300... So that's good!

Still shifter trouble though

Old 04-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #23
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

I don't think wolfehunter even read the thread. His issues that were taken care of by the thermostat were idle issues, not issues with rpms rising without an increase in speed. The thermostat (and ects, have you changed that before?) are still good to have in good condition, so don't consider it a waste, but it won't address your main problem. With a manual transmission car, I cannot think of any way that the engine increasing in RPM while the car does not could be anything but a slipping clutch.

A good clutch creates a solid connection all the way from the crankshaft to the wheels, so any increases or decreases in the speed of one should show in the other. Pistons go up & down, crankshaft turns, the engaged clutch makes a solid connection into the trans, which turns gears, which turn your axles, which turns the wheels. Solid mechanical connection, except for the clutch, which is a tight (normally) friction connection.
SaturnSeries.net owner
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #24
youngrwaggs

1998 SL2

After reading wolf's post, I noticed I had the same symptoms, but was not very concerned with them. After a stop at autozone, and seeing it would cost $16 and about 2 things of fluid, i didn't mind. I needed to change the oil too. It was a good excuse to do a little cheap work.

At the same time, I am hopeful that maybe one of these small solutions would save me

Anywho, the new clutch has about 2 weeks before going in (stupid weather)

Old 04-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #25
wolfehunter
wolfehunter is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I did read your post but misinterpreted what you were saying the first time. I think I mentioned that in my post. When I read it again I said it does sound like a clutch issue. My car acted differently in that the rpm's wouldn't come down between shifts which would push me along when coming to a stop unless I depressed the clutch. The title "RPM Not Dropping after shift" made me think you were having the same symptoms. PurdueGuy is exactly right in his description of how a manual transmission car's rpm's should increase with the speed of the car unless of course the clutch is depressed.

Glad you got the stat installed OK and your temp and idle are in good shape now. Once you get that slipping clutch replaced that thing will purr like a kitten!
wolfehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:30 AM   #26
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

youngrwaggs there is little doubt your clutch is slipping and you're going to need a new one. Here's my thread where I screwed up just about everything you can screw up doing a clutch. Should help you avoid some mistakes. The only thing I would change now after I've done a couple tranny swaps and another clutch is to leave the passenger side drive axle connected to the wheel as described by ssicarman here. It sounds difficult but it's really not too bad to do by yourself.
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:08 PM   #27
youngrwaggs

1998 SL2

And you thought this thread was dead, ha!

Anyways, I tried to do my clutch this weekend. Saturday started off well and slowed way down, with bad weather. Again today I was hindered by weather (and a lack of tools apparently)

So I put every thing back together, and the car is having problems. Its a little hard to start, and soon after it does, I hear a pretty loud screach and it stalls.

I didn't get a chance to do too much, removed connectors, shifter tower, some mounting bolts, put in new trans fluid...Obviously somewhere a long theway I messed up.

Any ideas?

Thanks!