SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
wolfehunter
wolfehunter is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Spark plug fouling?

I'm still having a miss under load when the car is up to temp. Within the last few months I have replaced the thermostat, cleaned the EGR, replaced the ECTS, replaced plug wires and plugs and also took the coils off and cleaned them up real well. It is still stumbling although it hasn't effected gas mileage at all. I had also recently replaced the valve cover gaskets as I was getting oil in the passenger side spark plug valley. So for kicks I pulled the boot and plug to see if any more oil is getting down in there and it is dry. However i noticed that the white ceramic/porcelin part of the NKG plug was brownish/black almost as if it was burned. There also seemed to be some charred material on the bottom of the plug where the threads start. Could that plug be bad or fouled out and causing my hesitation symptoms?
wolfehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Spark plug fouling?

With all the major stuff replaced and out of the way but still having misfiring problems, one of the last things to try is the temporary soda can blocking gasket over the egr valve ports underneath the egr valve. This completely blocks off the ports from any exhaust leakage into the intake manifold that can cause misfiring if the egr pintle valve doesn't seat completely. A short drive will tell you almost immediately if the misfiring goes away to indicate either a sticking egr valve or faulty one.

As to the ceramic discoloring, I'm not so sure about whether its excess fuel or oil not burning off and caking. Its most likely caused by the misfiring that isn't allowing total combustion every time, fouling the plugs. When the misfiring goes away the dark plugs will burn hotter at its ideal operating temperature for the tan coloring that's expected .
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
wolfehunter

1998 SL2

Thanks Fred. Do you use an actual soda can to do this?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
tenn734
tenn734 is on a distinguished road

See richpin06's how to video for the egr soda can test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YRq2...e=channel_page
tenn734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
wolfehunter

1998 SL2

Thanks Tenn. I'll be checking mine out one night this week to see if it makes a difference.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfehunter View Post
Thanks Fred. Do you use an actual soda can to do this?
Beer can, brand of your choice or 2 nickels. Almost anything will work as long as it fits.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote