SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
scalemechanic
scalemechanic has a spectacular aura aboutscalemechanic has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2
Default P0032 code

I have a 2000 saturn sl2 with a DOHC 1.9 engine.

Recently after replacing a solenoid valve or switch (part of the air pump system), I drove out of my driveway and the SES light popped on. Thinking it a fluke i cleared it, but again, i was hardly down the street and it came on again.

I continued on to Auto Zone for a scan. They said it was a code P0032. The readout was as follows:

Definition: 02 (oxygen sensor) heater condition-check repair resource for sensor location identification.
Explanation:
The power train control module controls the electrical circuit for the oxygen sensor heater. The computer has recognized a failure in this circuit.
Proable cause:
1. check circuit fuse
2. relay defective
3. check circuit wiring

My questions are: what fuse, what relay, what circuit wiring?? The man at AZ said it may be the sensor itself although he didn't say which 02 sensor.

Any help to solve this would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scalemechanic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scalemechanic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scalemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
scalemechanic
scalemechanic has a spectacular aura aboutscalemechanic has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2
Default Re: P0032 code

Maybe i'm reading too much into the readout. Is it just telling me to replace the oxygen sensor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help scalemechanic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemechanic View Post
Maybe i'm reading too much into the readout. Is it just telling me to replace the oxygen sensor?
as the problem solving steps says, it says to check and/or replace the fuse, the relay, and/or the wiring (in that order).

Did you at least do all of that first?

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
scalemechanic

2000 SL2

i haven't done anything yet because as i asked in my first posting on this, what or which fuse, which relay, and what wiring? thanks again, jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemechanic View Post
i haven't done anything yet because as i asked in my first posting on this, what or which fuse, which relay, and what wiring? thanks again, jim
Oh, my bad. didn't see that.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Are you sure that it is a P0032 code? According to the documentation that I have your car does not have a P0032 code as you do not have a heated O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
scalemechanic

2000 SL2

OldNuc, i have the printout from the az scan in front of me and it definately reads PO032. but since you think i don't have a heated sensor (i don't know), i'll get it rescanned at az by a different person to see if i get the same code.

i'll try and post the results tommorrow evening. jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Take a look at your O2 sensor plug for the one in the exhaust under the hood. You will see only one small round wire coming out of it. A heated sensor has 4 wires and they will be in a braided loom and go to a square plug. I looked the codes up in the FSM for a 2000 DOHC and there is no 0032. On top of that the parts book doesn't claim there is a heated sensor. There is a code in there somewhere but the guy running the scanner has to set it for Saturn and not GM or you get funny results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
scalemechanic

2000 SL2

Well just back from AZ and no P0032 code showed up. And OldNuc i do have a single wire exhaust 02 sensor. But............................................... ........

a code P0037 and a code P0410 did show up. I thought i fixed the P0410 problem by replacing the solenoid valve or switch but i guess i'm going to have to revisit the air pump system video and doublecheck everything.

As for the new P0037 code the scan printout seems exactly the same as the readout was for the P0032 code. Any ideas? The man from AZ did say they use the same scanner for all cars after a certain year and the readout lists many foreign cars by brand but for domestic cars they fall under one readout listed as "Domestic". Maybe i should go to a different store and see if the use a different scanner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

P0037 is a real number so at least they got that right. And it is the rear heated O2 sensor heater voltage/current low. Your Air Pump solenoid is powered from the EGR fuse, at least for the 99 year it is. Take a look in the UHJB for a blown EGR fuse. The solenoid is probably the Air Pump system problem and very well could be the cause of the 0037 so deal with the Air Pump first. Later today I will see if I can dig up the electrical diagram and see where the rear O2 sensor is powered from and how its tied into the air pump solenoid, if it is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #11
scalemechanic

2000 SL2

Update. As you suggested, I looked in the engine fuse box and found the emiss fuse blown (nothing labeled EGR fuse). I cleared the codes and after running the car for about ten miles this evening no codes have reappeared, yet.

Thinking back i may have blown the fuse (checking for a P0410 code), when i was testing the solenoid plug before i replaced the solenoid. At that time there was power at the plug which according to the video meant the solenoid was no good.

Also, as you suggested that fuse may be used for both systems related to the codes P0032 and P0410. Let me know if you find anything that confirms that.

Well, thanks OldNuc for your help. If the codes should reappear after a week or so i'll let you know, but i think i'm good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I suspect that you have solved the problem. Run it for a week or so and lets see if anything comes back up. I suspect that the fuse was opened during the solenoid troubleshooting as it is real easy to do. There are some other checks the PCM will run as you drive the car that will point up any other issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!