SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 12-04-2021, 03:33 AM   #1
Horologist
Horologist is on a distinguished road

Wrench Aura 3.5 LZ4 bank 2 catalytic is toast - retrofit?

Has anyone managed to retrofit a universal cat onto the down pipe of the 3.5?

My biggest goal is to not spend $2k in parts, one cat is bad, I'm sure the other 2 are not long for this world either. My next biggest goal is to not abuse the engine/fuel economy by goofing the o2 sensors. My final objective is to not dump extra hydrocarbons into the atmosphere.

This is the second set of cats according to recall info online) the car has had in 14 years and 175k miles. Even if I was a billionaire, I'd still lose sleep over replacing them with the OEM replacements for that reason alone. Even if I only get 3 or 4 years out of cheaper direct fit, that's stilll better in my opinion, for a third or less of OEM cost. But even that's expensive.

Reserving the right to just straight pipe the darn thing, I care about the long term health of my kids, the planet, and the engine as well, but not that much. Maybe I'll side pipe it just to be contrarian, or smoke stacks since it'll be billowing fumes. I kid, but maybe??

Anyone else run into this problem, how about the universals? I fear that like my former ehicles irreplaceable charcoal canister, nobody cares enough to fix this. I can't stand the CEL being turned into "The Car Is Running" light.

How about you guys? I'm certain with a recall and a significant number of these cars on the road I can't be the only one. Can't find any info online for this, other than advertisements for dubious and vague part listings.

Recommendations, advice, tips, boring anecdotes, insults all welcome. Thanks for reading
Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2021, 04:39 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Aura 3.5 LZ4 bank 2 catalytic is toast - retrofit?

I think several issues surround catalytic converters in exhaust systems. Designed for long life, at least meeting new vehicle warranty, then continuing beyond new car warranty includes the exhaust system - piping, flex couplers, exhaust manifold, etc. Info seems to show 409 stainless as the choice of material in oem parts as cost effective and most resistant to corrosion in normal wear and tear including exposure to corrosive road salts in the snow belt. Welding exhaust system parts together requires material to match these parts to avoid galvanic reaction of dissimilar metals corroding at weld joints. Replacing catcons and reusing exhaust piping can present issues experienced welders are knowledgeable of when fabricating custom repairs. I would presume exhaust system repair shops are knowledgeable but it never hurts to ask about detailed repairs and techniques if attempting this type of repair. Knowledgeable diyers may have knowledge too for diy repairs involving welding. Buying aftermarket catcons can show varying prices and material so choosing wisely is only the beginning of attempts to mate it to existing exhaust pipes. A good quality catcon can ensure long life depending on vehicle life expectancy/ownership. Finding a shop experienced in custom exhaust repairs should be considered too.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote