SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
dhunch
dhunch is on a distinguished road

Default 2001 SL1 Manual Transmission problems

About two months ago I replaced the Clutch Disk, Throw out bearing, etc. Haven't had any issues, until this afternoon, I drove the car home with out any issues. Car sat for about 2 hours. Got in it and had trouble putting it in reverse. It finally went into reverse then driving to work it was as if I was starting out in 3rd gear. Very slow to start out. So I figured that maybe the clutch is slipping. Car eventually gained speed, and the shift light did not come on until about 35 mph and the RPMs were normal for being in 3rd gear at that speed. Got car up to 60 and downshifted and the RPMs would go up as expected and car would slow down, but shifting from 3rd to first no different. Got to work the car sat for 4 hours got in it and drove home without any problems at all. Is it possible that there is some sensor that got reset when I turned the car off and on again.
dhunch is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: 2001 SL1 Manual Transmission problems

Maybe a cable issue? There are hardly any sensors on a manual trans.
SaturnSeries.net owner
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

There's only one sensor on a manual transmission, and it's irrelevant. It's a _manual_ transmission. Gear ratios are determined mechanically. So is the selection. There's a problem with the left-right movement in the shift pattern. The cable that goes to the higher linkage (the easier one to see) on the transmission responds to left-right movement of the shifter. If you have an assistant, pop the hood and have the assistant row through the gears while you observe the cables and linkage on the tranny. Look especially where the left-right cable's HOUSING (the part that doesn't move) is moored to the tranny case. There's a horseshoe clip that holds it in place. If it pops off and the housing strays from the case, you can get exactly what you're experiencing.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
dhunch

Thank you for your advice, I will check this tonight when I get home and i will let you know my findings.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
dhunch

I checked the cable and all looked fine. Car was running fine today, then started slipping again. Parked for about 5 hours and it drove fine again. Open the hood and you can smell like a burning clutch disc smell
Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

When it was "running fine", was it actually going into first and second?

Now that it's slipping, is it starting out in third again?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
dhunch

Yes when it was working fine it would go into first and second. Everything seemed normal. Then when it started slipping again it was like starting in third gear again
Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
madpogue

1996 SW2

You're smelling the clutch material because you're starting in third. That's secondary, but if you continue driving it this way, it'll eventually take out the clutch.

There's still something wrong with the left-right movement. Seems like it's related to how long you've been driving it, but that's hard to explain. You'll have to "catch it in the act"; wait 'til it starts happening again and do the same observation test. You may want to try removing the console and driving with it for a while, just to see if something happens under there when it happens.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
dhunch

I will give it a try thank you
Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
1lowstro
1lowstro is on a distinguished road

Check the bushing at the bottom of the shifter that goes side to side when selecting gears mine broke and do the same thing then finally it broke completely at which point it no longer shifted you can replace the bushing only. dorman makes the bushing instead of buying a new cable assembly dorman part number is 14043 just goto napa or advance and they can order it mine was like $25.00
1lowstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #11
madpogue

1996 SW2

The bushing is typically prescribed for the much more common failure of the fore-aft cable. So the Dorman solution also works on the left-right cable? That's good info to have.

(*Note: this Dorman number is NOT the "Toyota wiper bushing" product. It's one designated for the Saturn. Unlike the wiper bushing and the eBay saturnbushingman product, there's remarkably little field experience information about it.)
Old 03-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
dhunch

Thank you I will check it in the morning. Is this bushing at the shifter or the part that connects to the clutch
Old 03-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #13
1lowstro

[QUOTE=madpogue;1853641]The bushing is typically prescribed for the much more common failure of the fore-aft cable. So the Dorman solution also works on the left-right cable? That's good info to have.

(*Note: this Dorman number is NOT the "Toyota wiper bushing" product. It's one designated for the Saturn. Unlike the wiper bushing and the eBay saturnbushingman product, there's remarkably little field experience information about it.)[/QUOTE

being a mechanic i called dorman when mine broke verified the bushing was for the left right cable and ordered it from my wife at advance had it two hours later and had it installed in under five minutes

goto dormanproducts.com and look it up under manual shift cable bushing
Old 03-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #14
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhunch View Post
Thank you I will check it in the morning. Is this bushing at the shifter or the part that connects to the clutch
It's at the shifter end. But the other end connects to the transmission, not the clutch.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #15
dhunch

To get to it, does it just require the removal of the console. I appreciate the advice.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #16
1lowstro

Yes to remove the shifter there is a clip in the back under the leather that pops out you may have to cut the leather to find it I twisted mine off because I was replacing it anyways
Old 03-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #17
madpogue

1996 SW2

Leather? In any event, you're not removing the shifter. Just disconnect the lighter socket and light, remove the knob (it just pulls straight off; sit in the driver's seat and pull backward to your right side, like you're pull-starting a chainsaw), remove the Phillips screws (look for some under the console box, if you have one), and as you lift it out, disconnect the cup holder light.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
dhunch

I got the console off and the bushing looks fine. There is a plastic piece that I can't tell if a fastener broke off or not. You have a metal piece on the side thatappears to control up and down movement. Towards the top back end of that piece is a white circle with a hole in it. I can't tell if there was a fastener in that hole or not I was wrong the end piece is the side to side. But I cannot find a diagram or a pic the see if it is right or not
Old 03-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #19
dhunch

Free removing the battery and PCM I got a good look at the cable. The retaining clip for the left right cable is missing causing the cable to slide back.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #20
dhunch

I found the missing retaining clip sitting on the engine. I ensured it was on nice and tight and took the car out for a drive. I am not 100% positive that it is fixed, but it did not happen so far so I believe that the problem has been solved. I appreciate all of your help and everyones advice. You guys saved me countless hours of work for I was ready to drop the transmission again. Once again thank you.