SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 11-24-2021, 10:00 PM   #1
saturns4ever
saturns4ever is on a distinguished road

Mad 07 ion alarm is now going off randomly

Hi,

I have owned my Saturn for about 6 years with very minimal issues. All of a sudden, the car alarm is going off randomly - this started about 3 days ago out of nowhere. It has gone off when the car is parked and locked without explanation. I now see this is a common issue with Ions. Has anyone disabled their Saturn alarm system permanently? Honestly, I would rather not have the alarm system at all. There is not an issue with the automatic locks or the interior lights which seem to be an issue with other Ions when they have alarm problems.

Can anyone tell me how to disable the alarm system so it can't go off again?

Thanks!
saturns4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2021, 03:57 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 07 ion alarm is now going off randomly

You might find this problem not as common as you believe if you search past threads in these forums. Factory Passlock security have two functions; electronically disable the starter and flash lights/cycle the horn for several minutes. Security should be flashing and as the lights and horn stop, starting remains disabled until the remote is used to disarm/reset security. Door switches may be sending a signal to the bcm, triggering the false alarm.

Any aftermarket security added to your Ion?

There are several ideas of disabling factory security. One method seems popular (I have no idea of its validity); cutting one of three wires (white) in the Passlock sensor assembly by the steering column/ignition switch. Cutting the white wire is done after turning on ignition and starting. This should trigger Passlock detecting something wrong, disable itself and turn on security permanently (led). No more security but the led left on permanently may be a deterrent to anyone unfamiliar with Passlock indicator modes (off, blinking, flashing, on). If you try this, you assume all risks of consequences such as not starting and engine running. There are numerous youtube videos describing this method but they may not cover Ions. Passlock is on most GM vehicles since 1995 with Saturn using it since 2000 when body control modules were added to electronics (EFI system).

The idea of cutting the while wire relies on Passlock being disabled for engine starting before cutting the wire to let Passlock detect an error then react by disabling itself from interfering with starting and driving.

Another method of disabling Passlock may be simply not using the remote to lock doors since this enables Passlock security. Use the remote to unlock or ignition key to unlock a door. When leaving the car, press the master door lock switch before exiting the car and closing doors. The doors should lock after the last door is closed. Security isn't enabled. Returning, pressing door unlock on your remote allows unlocking. Security shouldn't be blinking before pressing Unlock on your remote.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote