SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-17-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default 5th from a DOHC to a SOHC tranny?

I know they mostly (only...) go the other way for economy but 5th is upsetting me. NO POWER. Latly I've been on the interstate more and so it's just bothering me now but going with the flow at 75-80 in 5th gear is fine 'till a hill. Then it drops down to 60-65 and it's just rather annoying. The majority of the power in my SOHC seems to be between 3k and 4k rpms and 5th is under 3k till 85-90mph so if the 5th gear from the DOHC is shorter, would it give me a bit more "hill" power?
Has anyone done this or would it work exactly the same way as the swap the other way?
I'll probably have to read a few threads on the swap, any of them come to mind as good ones?
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
1993 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 5th from a DOHC to a SOHC tranny?

I would not do it..i just recently swapped in a 5th gear from a sohc car into my dohc so the engine wouldnt have to scream like crazy just to keep up on the interstate.. With the dohc 5th gear, your rpm's will be at 3100 just to do 70 mph and that sucks, now, with the sohc 5th gear, i can cruise like a cadillac at 75-80 mph and the motor doesnt have to scream like it did..i would swap in a dohc motor before i would switch to a dohc 5th gear..
1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

SOHC needs the power, and the current 5th dosn't have it. I don't go on the interstate very often but when I do I'd rather not drop speed horrably so thats what I'm wondering about.
I know the SOHC's are geared for economy and the DOHC's are geared for performance, thats why the SOHC gear gets put in the DOHC tranny.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
1993 is on a distinguished road

Just drop down to 4th when coming to hills, i think the 4th from a sohc is pretty darn close to the 5th of the dohc, so if you did the swap it would be close to having the same 4th and 5th gears..
1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

I thought about that, does cruise control disengague with the clutch? I know it does with the brake but...?
I hope the SC2 I wanna get is in okay condition, I'll get that swapped in.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:10 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido
I thought about that, does cruise control disengague with the clutch? I know it does with the brake but...?
Well, no, and yes... Early models had a switch. Later models did not, but the cruise module was programmed to "get the hint" that the revs are going up, but the speed isn't, and interrupt itself. You'll notice that, when you drop the clutch, the revs race for a split second, then the CC abruptly disengages.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:50 AM   #7
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

I wasn't sure what it would do so I didn't want to try it and have it suddenly floor it and overrev the engine.
I'm thinking about doing a VERY long road trip so I'll leave the 5th gear swapping alone, the majority of the trip will be in "flatlander" country so the hill climbing shouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #8
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Clutch and brake disengage the curise control.

Just downshift when you come to a hill, it's not that hard.
85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:45 PM   #9
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

I know it isn't hard, I just didn't feel like bothering to manually disnengauge it and all before downshifting. I just didn't know how it worked in this manual and now I do. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:59 PM   #10
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

So instead of simply downshifting when you came to the occassional hill, you'd rather open up your transmission and put the new gear in? You're crazy man! Not that I'm against doing projects on cars like this, but I think you're nuts. I'd swap the DOHC motor in with the DOHC transmission and then swap the 5th gear if you like (I know that's going away from your original plan though).

--Tom
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

I was just wondering if anyone had done it this way, I've read about tons of people that have gone the other way with it.
"occassional hill"?????? Ever been in the north east? It's more like "occassional flat" then "occassional hill".
When the CC is on, I didn't want to harm the engine by hitting the clutch when I didn't know that it would also disable it. If the SC2 I'm looking at has the engine in decent shape it'll get swapped in.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:44 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
"occassional hill"?????? Ever been in the north east? It's more like "occassional flat" then "occassional hill".
Sounds like southwestern WI.

Yeah, I don't like that little rev spike from the cruise when I drop the clutch. I usu. tap the brake pedal, just enough to interrupt the cruise, then clutch, before downshifting. So the guy behind me sees my brake lights blink, big whoop.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #13
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

You'll get an increase in engine RPM anytime you downshift... the clutch pedal switch, via the PCM, should disengage the CC if the clutch is depressed, but of course it must be depressed to the same point that it would be in order to start the car...so...you, in theory can downshift without the cruise disengaging with practice and clutch pedal finesse.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:11 AM   #14
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Quote:
I know they mostly (only...) go the other way for economy but 5th is upsetting me. NO POWER. Latly I've been on the interstate more and so it's just bothering me now but going with the flow at 75-80 in 5th gear is fine 'till a hill. Then it drops down to 60-65 and it's just rather annoying. The majority of the power in my SOHC seems to be between 3k and 4k rpms and 5th is under 3k till 85-90mph so if the 5th gear from the DOHC is shorter, would it give me a bit more "hill" power?
Has anyone done this or would it work exactly the same way as the swap the other way?
I'll probably have to read a few threads on the swap, any of them come to mind as good ones?
As other said, 4th in a Sx1 is nearly identical to 5th in a Sx2. Therefore, you would lose a gear, since the 2 are the same. If you really want to do this, just drive your car in 4th gear on the highway.
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:45 PM   #15
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Ok, so I'll leave the gear swapping alone, I kinda wondered why people didn't do it this way and now I know. I'll just take some time looking over my new SC2 with 70-90k miles on the engine and make sure it's good before swapping the whole thing, including the 5th gears (going the "good" way though) and welding the diff pin just because it's out.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:54 PM   #16
asdf
Advanced Member
asdf is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

Has anyone figured out how to get the cruise control working again after you put a different 5th gear in?

And yeah, with any other 5 speed I've driven, you can never maintain speed up a steep hill or really increase your speed. Always have to downshift to 4th or 3rd. With an automatic, it shifts out of overdrive of course.
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:57 AM   #17
madpogue

1996 SW2

Has anyone verified that the cruise gives a rat's patoot what size gear it's in? There's no inputs to the PCM or CC module from a manual tranny. It gauges speed via the VSS. For example, is the CC module for a given year, manual tranny, the same between a DOHC and SOHC?
Old 06-20-2006, 02:07 AM   #18
asdf
Advanced Member

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

I think the earlier years aren't affected. I'm guessing it started with OBD-II? The CC monitors the RPM vs. MPH readings for the 5 gears. So it has 5 gear profiles that must match or it refuses to operate (I guess it would think the clutch is slipping?)

It really sucks since 5th gear is all I use CC in anyways. So, it is the only thing stopping me from changing 5 th gear. Mine is a '96
Old 06-20-2006, 02:10 AM   #19
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
You'll get an increase in engine RPM anytime you downshift... the clutch pedal switch, via the PCM, should disengage the CC if the clutch is depressed, but of course it must be depressed to the same point that it would be in order to start the car.
For what years? The '96 FSM shows the clutch switch being only part of the starter circuit, not going to the PCM. And mine certainly doesn't affect the cruise, as I have mine jumpered closed at all times.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:12 AM   #20
asdf
Advanced Member

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

I think it has something to do with that RPM vs. MPH reading again.

As soon as the RPMs raise a little, the CC disengages. That's why you don't have to put the clutch all the way to the floor to hit the switch before the CC quits.