SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2019, 07:43 PM   #1
Edhaynes
Edhaynes is on a distinguished road

Default Poping noise in front end.

Hello, I have a 2004 V6 Vue front wheel drive. When you apply the brakes there is a loud popping noise from the drivers side front wheel. You can feel the jolt inside the car. When parked you can roll the front tire by hand and make the pop both forward and rearward. It has new brakes and rotor. New front and rear lower control arm bushings. The wheel bearing seems to have no play and makes no roaring noise while moving. The ball joints appear to have no play. I am thinking it could be the tire end of the CV axle but not sure. Does anyone have a guess at what it might be? Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Edhaynes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Edhaynes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Edhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #2
ScotSHO
ScotSHO is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Poping noise in front end.

Hmm, this is a tough one. I assume you have the front end jacked up when you are rotating forwards & backwards? Or are you pushing the car on the ground?

Bad CV joints typically only start popping when you apply engine force while turning. Straight line you typically don't hear a popping, and if you do hear it in a straight line, it will quickly tear itself up and you'll be stranded.

It sounds like you've had a bunch of front end suspension/brake work done recently. I suspect a loose bolt will be the culprit. Or maybe loose brake components? For instance, if the caliper bolts are loose maybe the brake assembly would pop as you change direction. Or if the brake pads are installed incorrectly (missing spring shims), the pad itself could move around and cause the noise.

I have also seen loose lug nuts make noises, but I think you've eliminated that with the bearing check.

Maybe you have the dreaded rusty subframe or subframe mounting point problem?

Regardless, I would try not to drive it much until you can eliminate any loose bolt/structural issues.

Last edited by ScotSHO; 11-21-2019 at 09:28 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ScotSHO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ScotSHO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ScotSHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

look at the struts. maybe the top mounts. i think my noise could be due to that. as the struts are newish but i do not know about the mounts. cant go by appearance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:19 PM   #4
Edhaynes
Edhaynes is on a distinguished road

The popping noise while parked is with the tires straight rocked fore and aft. With the wheels turned L or R it does not make the noise. While driving is when the brake is applied. I have been all over the brakes/bolts and can find no play there. The lug nuts are tight. The poping noise was before replacement of the control arm bushings and new ones did not fix the issue. I checked the strut attachment bolts and all are tight. I thank you for the imput. I am stumped for now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Edhaynes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Edhaynes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Edhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:07 AM   #5
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edhaynes View Post
Hello, I have a 2004 V6 Vue front wheel drive. When you apply the brakes there is a loud popping noise from the drivers side front wheel. You can feel the jolt inside the car. When parked you can roll the front tire by hand and make the pop both forward and rearward. It has new brakes and rotor. New front and rear lower control arm bushings. The wheel bearing seems to have no play and makes no roaring noise while moving. The ball joints appear to have no play. I am thinking it could be the tire end of the CV axle but not sure. Does anyone have a guess at what it might be? Thank you.
In a past lifetime, I had a 1985 Subaru Brat (4 wheel drive) that would make a similar noise when the CV joints needed to be replaced.

Saturn 1998 - SL2
Singer 1952 - 301A

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
ScotSHO
ScotSHO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
look at the struts. maybe the top mounts. i think my noise could be due to that. as the struts are newish but i do not know about the mounts. cant go by appearance.
I like that idea. What do the strut bearings consist of on this car, plastic on plastic? Very possible that is worn out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ScotSHO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ScotSHO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ScotSHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #7
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

Top mount is steel plate. With a rubber molded inner donut and a steel core. Itís bonded steel/rubber. And has a sandwiched bearing Assy. I have a pair on my shelf. I assumed they were identical to my equinox but are slightly different. You can get cheap ones for $30 and all the way up to $75. Depending on the seller.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote