SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
ThreeSaturnsGuy
ThreeSaturnsGuy is a jewel in the roughThreeSaturnsGuy is a jewel in the roughThreeSaturnsGuy is a jewel in the rough

Default Front Motor Mount fun.

Does anyone know why the front motor mount on my 2005 Saturn Ion 2.2l auto does not seem to match up with all the parts on the car parts site?

Existing has long bar attaching to engine block. Replacement part is much shorter.

Thanks

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191112_125730.jpg (197.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20191112_125748.jpg (169.7 KB, 17 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThreeSaturnsGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThreeSaturnsGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThreeSaturnsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2019, 11:26 PM   #2
jbuenavides
jbuenavides is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Front Motor Mount fun.

Have you checked the information before purchasing these parts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jbuenavides's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jbuenavides reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jbuenavides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:23 AM   #3
ThreeSaturnsGuy
ThreeSaturnsGuy is a jewel in the roughThreeSaturnsGuy is a jewel in the roughThreeSaturnsGuy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuenavides View Post
Have you checked the information before purchasing these parts?
Well, I checked for both Auto and Manual trans motor mounts along all years of the Ion production, and they all seem to indicate a motor mount with the shorter support arm.

I am also going to check some Ions at the local u-pull-it yard to see if I can snag an engine support that will work with my new mount.

If there are two versions of the support and the mount, I haven't found them yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ThreeSaturnsGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

There should be a part number stamped on the original/OEM mount. Please post it on here when you find it. If possible, find the part number stamped on the bracket and post that here too.

The parts catalog mentions replacing the mounting bracket when replacing the mount on Ions with 2.2L engine & manual trans, but not for auto trans. I can't say for sure, but I suspect that engine isn't the one that originally came with the car and was sourced from a manual trans Ion that used the long bracket.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 182K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 194K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 41K miles

Last edited by ruley73; 11-13-2019 at 01:44 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:47 PM   #5
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

You may need to install a new bracket (p/n 15854396) to make the new mount fit. If you can't find the correct mount for the long bracket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2019, 09:04 PM   #6
ThreeSaturnsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
You may need to install a new bracket (p/n 15854396) to make the new mount fit. If you can't find the correct mount for the long bracket.
I am thinking that, as well.

I bought all three motor mounts off of Amazon, and I probably would have been ok not replacing the other two, but that front mount is shot.

I plan to go to a U-Pull-It yard tomorrow in search of a proper mount, although I will look it up by part number to see if it is available new for semi-cheap.

Thanks,

Tom

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #7
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSaturnsGuy View Post
I am thinking that, as well.

I bought all three motor mounts off of Amazon, and I probably would have been ok not replacing the other two, but that front mount is shot.

I plan to go to a U-Pull-It yard tomorrow in search of a proper mount, although I will look it up by part number to see if it is available new for semi-cheap.

Thanks,

Tom
The original, longer mount is no longer available. The parts catalog doesn't show the part numbers for the old mount and bracket. That is why I requested that you post the part numbers for both the original mount and bracket on here.

Even if you happen to find a new old stock part on eBay or Amazon that matches the original mount, the price of it will probably be far greater than the price of the newer mount and bracket combined. The new bracket should be fairly easy to replace and only costs ~$35 on Amazon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #8
ThreeSaturnsGuy

I found a short mount at a U-pull-it yard and will be using that with the new mount.

I will also do the tensioner and Serpentine belt at the same time, since it looks like access will be easier.

Thanks for all your help.

Tom

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2019, 10:17 PM   #9
goaliemo
goaliemo is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

I don't recall ever seeing that long mount on an ion. I've owned every year they were produced. Now I have seen an in Cobalts. So I wonder if that's not the original motor.

I'm just a guy that enjoys my Ions.
Try Google, first. Then ask.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goaliemo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goaliemo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #10
ThreeSaturnsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliemo View Post
I don't recall ever seeing that long mount on an ion. I've owned every year they were produced. Now I have seen an in Cobalts. So I wonder if that's not the original motor.
Pretty sure a potential donor ion had the long mount, but it has been a couple of weeks since I pulled the bracket. Most of the ions in the yard I went to had the smaller brackets.

My wife bought the car from a dealer for her kids in 2010, and it had fairly low miles on it. I tend to doubt it was swapped prior to then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!