SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
Kaseykurz
Kaseykurz is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Attention Saturn Ion 03... No Crank no start, maybe computer?

My car is a 03 Level 1 and about two weeks ago my car had started needing jumped after letting it sit all night (it kinda coincided with the cold weather) but after I jumped it the next day or a few hours after setting it would run all day pretty okay. Only needing jumped if I had let the radio or anything on at all after turning the key off.
This happened everyday the next three days that week. Then I left it set all night and I figured I would need a jump the next day and went out to jump it and it has not cranked or started ever since. I have replaced the battery, the ignition switch did the relearn procedure. .. my boyfriend jumped the starter and it cranked but imediately stopped pretty much .. my dash lights say power str service vehicle. Is there any thing l can check before spending the money on a computer which is what i am thinking Ill have to do it looks like. I am going to check the grounds today because my trunk has became pretty rusty and that's where my battery Is at...

Manual 2003 Saturn Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaseykurz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaseykurz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaseykurz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Saturn Ion 03... No Crank no start, maybe computer?

Yes, examine the trunk mounted battery for both connections then follow up with checking the 'Remote' start terminal (marked in red) next to the engine fuse box. This is where the red battery cable connects to the trunk battery and feeds the fuse box and starter. Check to be sure its not loose. This terminal serves as a connection for j the red jumper cable. Negative is always either the chassis or engine block.

My guess is this isn't a faulty engine computer and more about wiring, corroded connections, and electronics. Electronics are usually reliable, especially the engine and body computers because they have to be reliable during and after new car warranty. Second guessing can be expensivewith dealers and repair shops taking full advantage of vehicle owners.

If you try suggestions given and still have this problem, there are more things to check, each in some way logical in sequence. Starting with main power and distributing it before moving on to possible electronic faults as simple as a blown fuse. You can always check check for blown fuses to rule them out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
Kaseykurz
Kaseykurz is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

I will check and see about the terminals under the hood because I did notice that the fuse box under the hood seems very loose or like as if it needs screwed in or tightened down.
Another thing I should add is that I can't hear the fuel pump at all, and the gas gage isn't working. I know I have a half tank of gas too. But it must not be getting power because it would at least crank I think if it wasn't getting gas. Or relay or fuse maybe?

Manual 2003 Saturn Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaseykurz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaseykurz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaseykurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:12 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Fuel pumps aren't loud since most of them reside in the fuel tank. A diy way to determine fuel pump operation; pressing an ear to the rear quarter panel near the tank as someone turns the ignition switch ON (pump will run between 2-3 seconds then shut off if the engine isn't started), using the poor mans stethoscope of a medium length screwdriver - tip pressed on fuel tank, handle pressed to one ear, a fuel pressure gauge (borrowed from Autozone or Advance Auto) is connected to see actual pressures, depressing the fuel test valve (resembling a tire valve) on the fuel rail over or on one side of the engine or listening inside the car with windows up/radio off to hear the faint hum/hiss sounds of the pump. Once ignition is turned ON without starting, fuel pressure is near instantaneous with enough pressure to spray fuel when depressing the test valve (cover with a rag).

Most of the gauges and indicators are operated by the body control module (BCM) and fuel gauge is one of them. All you can do is examine fuses in the engine bay and on one or both sides of the footwell for interior fuses.

Below is the 'Remote Start' terminal to clamp a red/positive jumper cable to. This is where the red battery cable connects to from the trunk. One member s a few years ago found this loose and the problem to intermittent starting/power issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ion remote jump starting pic.jpg (42.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Ion remote jump starting.jpg (132.3 KB, 3 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:24 AM   #5
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I doubt you'll need a new computer. I think you have a weak connection somewhere that needs to be addressed. Ignore any error messages as they are likely false warnings caused by said weak connection.

Check the integrity of main power connection at the positive post on the front of the underhood fuse block and the connection of the power cables at the starter. Both have a history of corroding and causing weird anomalies, especially if you live in an area where salt is applied to the roads in the winter.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 182K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 194K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 41K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:50 AM   #6
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I took too long editing my previous post, but wanted to include the paragraph below.

The main positive cables are all connected together at the starter. A weak connection there would explain why when you try to jump start the car, the engine cranks but doesn't run. The starter is getting power, and is able to turn the engine over, but the engine might not want to run because the ECM, fuel pump, and anything else needed to keep the engine running isn't getting enough power.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 182K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 194K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 41K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote