SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2018, 08:54 PM   #1
Toasterbath
Toasterbath is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Challenged to a drag race

Hi. I am new to this forum. I was thinking about doing a 13b and a RWD swap in my 02 Saturn sl2. I have a little idea of what i am getting into. I was challenged to a drag race with my saturn. Since you guys and gals are saturn experts. Will this work, be a fun car to drive and be good at cornering.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Toasterbath's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Toasterbath reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Toasterbath is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Challenged to a drag race

They are fun cars for the price point. However almost everything will be custom as we are all too cheap to support an aftermarket.

What type of rear suspension does the RX use?
It may be better to look into using a WRX rear differential, subframe and struts for the back since the 2002-2007 cars use trailing arms and lateral links like the Saturn.

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
Toasterbath

2002 SL2

Thanks for the information. Will look into that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Toasterbath reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
ErikTande
ErikTande will become famous soon enough

What were you challenged by? Any engine swap is going to need a lot of custom fabrication. Do you own a welder?

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:53 PM   #5
Toasterbath

2002 SL2

My dad challenged me. He has a 96 buick lesabre and is thinking about taking the motor out of the Grand national. I do own a welder. He wants to cam it out and turbo it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2018, 05:42 AM   #6
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1

Hi,
My 2 cents worth because you asked. I have been playing/ fabricating/ modifying cars for nearly 40 years now.
Yes you can modify your saturn and get it to work like you hope, BUT
It will be alot of work . Changing a front wheel drive to rear wheel drive will take alot of engineering, fabrication, and possibly frustration to achieve your goal.
Structurally there will be many changes.
Have you considered a twin cam motor with turbo? Thats still on my list of fun projects that should be relatively easy to achieve. Craiglist and junkyards are ripe with plenty of saturn parts.
Or a different body altogether and use a 2JZ motor? And old mechanic i knew in the late 1970s used to say he could get any motor into any car.
Maybe true, there are those who have gotten v-8 s into saturns, i think i read that here in mods section, so a rotary size wise should be easier.
Whatever you decide, have patience and realize there will be times you will ask yourself “what did i get myself into”? Dont give up.
Best wishes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ccrussell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ccrussell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ccrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:06 AM   #7
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasterbath View Post
My dad challenged me. He has a 96 buick lesabre and is thinking about taking the motor out of the Grand national. I do own a welder. He wants to cam it out and turbo it.
I think you should both be jailed for spending the effort on doing a lot of work for a drag race when instead you could just spend the effort turning the Grand National into a street rocket.

OR, spend the effort and make a turbo Saturn to race the GN. But changing the car to RWD is kind of pointless, and there are better platforms to start with if you want a RWD car... all of them being RWD cars.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:51 AM   #8
Toasterbath

2002 SL2

Thanks for the info and wishes. I dont get why my dad whats to make a GN lesabre but at least hes not LS swapping right? (Disclaimer i dont care what you do to your car unless its a fart can or other stupid mods that people do to their car to hinder their car.) I wanted to dorito swap cause doritos spit flames, and brap really loud so fun times. The rwd swap, i would probably get the rear end of a rx8 or another car. I could just save my pennies and buy a jdm 2000 impreza from my local importer but i want to ressurect my saturn. The motor is dead.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #9
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

There is a guy on youtube that put an Ion redline 2.0 LSJ supercharged in his 3rd gen wagon. No videos of it ripping yet though, he been easy on it.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:49 PM   #10
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg17 View Post
There is a guy on youtube that put an Ion redline 2.0 LSJ supercharged in his 3rd gen wagon. No videos of it ripping yet though, he been easy on it.
Here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI29ciPxaPQ

Last I heard he put it away for the winter.

My 96 SL2 and 98 SL1 have joined together to become one. So I guess I now have a 1996/8
SL1-2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLfun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:49 PM   #11
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_I-QVvQCDY

Do it.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #12
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

The Buick GNx engine came with almost 300bhp, stock, and is the RWD 3.8L V6. So, to bolt that into a FWD LeSabre will also be some fabrication, since the starter motor mountings are on opposite sides.

Sounds like you have a good set of projects ahead of you, for both of you.

Some things to consider, when converting the Saturn to RWD will be the expense of having a custom driveshaft and the rear axle that will fit.

I haven't seen or done measurements on how to do this. The likely candidates, to take as donor parts for the rear axle, may need to come from a foreign car that was RWD and smaller. The Chevrolet Chevette was also RWD.

You will require considerable power, to even come close to a GNx engine, in a race. Those GNs could beat a Ferrari, back in 1987, in the standing ¼-mile. And that was without any modifications.

The Saturn has lower weight, which you can take advantage of by leaving it with FWD, to stand a better rival to a LeSabre equipped with a GNx engine swap.

In all honesty, I would drop a Buick 3800 Series-II, with the Supercharger in it, out of the 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP trim. 1997 was the only year that GM utilized a "heavy-duty" built, stock auto transmission to that engine.

This puts you at the 240bhp mark, right of the get-go, before you modify the engine. In a 3,300-lbs Grand Prix, these engines could power them into a flat, 15-second ¼-mile.

In a 2,300-2,600 lbs Saturn, you are looking at low to mid 14s, stock. You will add a few extra pounds with the new drive train(I estimate maybe 250-350 lbs), because of the cast-iron block/heads of the V6. You will also double your HP and nearly triple your low-rpm torque(which occurs at a low 2,800rpm, as opposed to 4k/5k ranges of a turbo 4 cylinder).

This will provide you with plenty of off-the-line acceleration through your 330' range, and you won't have to worry about losing any top-end through the 1000' and ¼.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote