SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
CaptSaturn
CaptSaturn is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Observations from a Saturn Lover

Let me start off by saying I love my Saturn. I bought a SL2 in April of 1996. It is a great car and has 136,000 miles on it.

I really would like to buy an Aura. So, I checked them out at the dealer. The following are my observations:

The middle armrest is a mess. It is too big and has a slide on it that doesn't lock.

I don't want a sunroof, but in order to get an XR with leather seats you have to get one. The sunroof has a motor that takes up the headspace in the middle of the back seat too. Who is the marketing guy that came up with the idea of requiring a leather seat and sunroof combination?

Saturn - give me a call when I can order a XR with leather seats and no sunroof. I'll be there with cash. Until then, I will keep my SL2 that I love.

CaptSaturn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CaptSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CaptSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CaptSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
bubba808
bubba808 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Observations from a Saturn Lover

That's funny I didn't notice a reduction in headroom with the sunroof. Did you check out both the panoramic and regular sunroofs??

I guess that would be the only reason, other than cost, that someone would not want the sunroof. I know with the panoramic you lose the universal remote option too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bubba808's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bubba808 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bubba808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:26 PM   #3
MikeT
MikeT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I guess that would be the only reason, other than cost, that someone would not want the sunroof.
I doubt that headroom and cost are the "only reasons" that someone wouldn't want a sunroof. There can also be issues of rattles, leaks, unreliability, etc. Also, some folks have skin sensitivity issues or other reasons of that nature for not wanting more sun.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:08 AM   #4
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I personally find an open sunroof distracting. During the day it lets in too much heat and light. I do like to uncover it in the rain...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I guess it was the same marketing guys at Honda, Lexus, etc. that make you buy a sunroof to get other options.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSaturn
I don't want a sunroof, but in order to get an XR with leather seats you have to get one. The sunroof has a motor that takes up the headspace in the middle of the back seat too. Who is the marketing guy that came up with the idea of requiring a leather seat and sunroof combination?

Saturn - give me a call when I can order a XR with leather seats and no sunroof. I'll be there with cash. Until then, I will keep my SL2 that I love.

CaptSaturn
NOT TRUE! Premium trim and sunroof are two separate options. I have a customer waiting for a cashmere XR with Leather and no sunroof which is inbound right now.

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:33 PM   #7
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

Pete;

I think you better check the order guide a little more closely. It specifically states that leather(Prem Pack) requires that you buy either of the sunroofs.

It will be interesting to see if your customers car arrives with leather but no sunroof. Keep us posted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
Pete93SL1M

Here's the weird thing. The car I am looking at has Morocco Brown leather interior, says so right on the invoice. It also has no sunroof of any kind.
It also does NOT have premium trim listed.
So, if Premium Trim is only leather, and you can only get Premium Trim with a sunroof, how can it be that you can get leather outside of premium trim?

Perhaps this is an early order anomoly having to do with the unavailability of the panoramic roof (CY3) but afaik they were substituting CF5 regular sunroof until it became available.

Here's what the vehicle looks like in the system:
PEG: N/A - N/A
Primary Color: 15U - Golden Cashmere
Trim: 223 - Trim: Leather, Morocco Brown Appt w/ Embossed Inserts
Engine: LY7 - Engine 3.6L DOHC V6
Transmission: MH2 - Transmission, 6 Speed Automatic

Options:
A51 : Seat Front Bucket - Custom
R6P : Processing Code for Premium Paint Charges
AY0 : Airbags: Roof Side, Driver & Pass
R9N : CONTROL SALES ITEM NO. 89
C68 : HVAC System Air Conditioner, Auto, Electronic Controls
SLM : Stock Order Processing Option
DL8 : Mirror O/S, Electric, Heated
U77 : Antenna RR Window, Radio
JL9 : Brakes, 4 Wheel Antilock incl Traction Control
UE1 : OnStar
KG7 : Generator 125 Amp
UG1 : Universal Garage Door Opener
N34 : Steering Wheel Leather, 3 Spokes
UQ3 : Speaker System, Performance Enhanced
NW2 : Wheel 18" Alloy, Multi Spoke, Ultrabright
US9 : Radio 6 CD - MP3
QYH : Tire All P225/50R18-94T BW TL AL2
VG6 : California Bumper Label
R6K : Processing Option
VY7 : Leather Shift Knob

No sunroof!

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2006, 04:06 PM   #9
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I agree with you on the leather/sunroof thing. I sit tall in the seat and have a long torso so I need as much headroom as I can get. The armrest doesn't bother me but the cupholder cover isn't needed at all and will probably break after a few months.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:13 PM   #10
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSaturn
Let me start off by saying I love my Saturn. I bought a SL2 in April of 1996. It is a great car and has 136,000 miles on it.

I really would like to buy an Aura. So, I checked them out at the dealer. The following are my observations:

The middle armrest is a mess. It is too big and has a slide on it that doesn't lock.

CaptSaturn
Sounds to me you are finding excuses not to buy it.

Oh well....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncanuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:26 PM   #11
hugh

Pete;

Something else that is weird is that it includes Traction Control when in fact the XR gets Stabilitrak. The XE gets TC.

I suggest that when the car arrives it gets a very thorough going over to see just what is going on.

Did the customer actually order the XR with the Premium package and without the sunroof ? If so and the car arrives as advertised that's good news for people who don't want sunroofs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #12
Pete93SL1M

Ya stabilitrak and traction control are listed separately in the order guide but both are standard on XR. Traction control separate from stabilitrak is standard on XE. The two use different measurements and operate differently, traction control more primitive.

I will be watching this vehicle so I can update when it comes in, also had this question posed on the internal saturn team forum as well.

..aka GMinTheDriveway

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2006, 08:39 PM   #13
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturncanuck
Sounds to me you are finding excuses not to buy it.

Oh well....

"Ewww it has metal pannels. Boo the headlights are too big"

I'm a Saturn purist, s-series forever!!! Polymer R0000lz!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:04 PM   #14
hbko181
hbko181 is on a distinguished road

The XR model comes standard with heated leather seats (black). Morroco brown is a $100 option, which requires premium trim package, which also requires you to have a sun roof. You can get heated leather seats with no sunroof, you just cannot get leather wrapped steering wheel cover and leather shift knob. If you want the leather steering wheel and shift knob you must get the premium package which requires you to get a sunroof. This info was out of the Auro product training guide.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hbko181's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hbko181 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hbko181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:22 PM   #15
comcardi
comcardi is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbko181
The XR model comes standard with heated leather seats (black).
My understanding is the XR comes with standard black cloth seats that are heated. Leather is an upgrade

Saturn, the GM offspring that has finally been included in the will!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to comcardi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help comcardi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
comcardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:27 PM   #16
SaturnPlanet
SaturnPlanet is on a distinguished road

lol!

i've already sold a few XRs with cloth seats. keep studying though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnPlanet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnPlanet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:48 PM   #17
Galileo
Master Member
Galileo is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Here's a pic of an Aura XR with the standard Black Cloth seats...

Beautiful People First~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Galileo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Galileo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Galileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:29 PM   #18
Pete93SL1M

UPDATE:
The Aura in question did in fact have a sunroof and premium package. For some reason they were not showing up in the system. I guess GM Dealerworld is a trustworthy as it always has been!

..aka GMinTheDriveway

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #19
Emanuel
Emanuel is on a distinguished road

I believe leather, without a sunroof, is an option on the XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Emanuel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Emanuel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:03 PM   #20
hugh

Base XE and Base XR come with cloth seats. To get leather seats you must get either sunroof or panoramic roof. The most recent order guide has not changed on this reqirement.
This revised guide has only one change in it......the base XR price has gone up $95.00 in Canada.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation