SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 09:52 PM   #1
MPR2001GTi
MPR2001GTi is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Wheel shimmy fix, FINALLY!!!!

Well some of you may remember back when I first installed my aftermarket wheels I had this weird wheel shimmy from the brakes under hard braking. After countless times of removing the wheels and checking everything, rotating them, re-torqueing , etc. etc. etc. today I decided to get to the bottom of the issue. In the past after removing the wheels and re-installing them the shimmy would almost completely go away for a short while but then it would come back.

So today I removed the fronts and took a close look at all the mating surfaces and found that two of the bosses on the wheel we not really making 100% contact with the disc (rotor). Upon closer inspection I found that the rotor retaining nuts (little pal nuts) were just to thick to work with the aftermarket wheels. The OEM wheel are recessed enough for clearance but these little guys were keeping the wheel from completely bolting up flush.

I removed them all and re-installed the wheels and what do ya know, I got my Mercedes like ride back!!! So if you install aftermarket wheel this is something you should keep an eye out for if you end up with bad vibrations.

This is what the little bas_tards look like.

Happy mothers day to all you mothers as well as you muthas!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MPR2001GTi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MPR2001GTi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2003, 10:45 PM   #2
yehumikael
yehumikael is on a distinguished road

That is really ironic. I had the same exact problem just a few weeks ago, after I installed after market rims. The mechanic fixed it last week, but I have not had a chance to talk with him yet. Probably the same solution. Now I am just waiting on parts for the VTI transmission. The dealership has had my VUE for three weeks, but they did give me a loaner, so I am happy. Thanks for the input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yehumikael's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yehumikael reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2003, 05:30 AM   #3
BradJK
BradJK is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-2
2001 SL2

And it's safe to take those little things off?
Most car manufacturers being the cost cutting wizards they are don't put unnecessary items on a vehicle.

Good by SL2, Hello???
Just waiting on the 5 door Astra

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BradJK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BradJK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2003, 12:39 PM   #4
MPR2001GTi

Yes they are just retaining devices to hold the drum or disc on when you remove the wheel. Speaking of cost cutting, normally insted of a .02 cent push on pal nut there is a countersunk screw used as retainers. Saturn!?!?! One cheesy company!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MPR2001GTi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2003, 12:41 PM   #5
MPR2001GTi

Oh and I am happy to report the ride to work this morning was as smooth as glass, even slowing down from 80 mph downhill was smoother than its has been....ever!

We are happy brakers now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2003, 11:13 AM   #6
sonkist32
sonkist32 is on a distinguished road

I had aftermarket rims put on also and noticed the brakes acting funny at high speed braking, kinda makes the wheel shake. If I take this back to my dealer will they take those off for me or would they not recomend that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sonkist32's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sonkist32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2003, 11:34 AM   #7
MPR2001GTi

I am not sure the dealer will take them off. They are NOT a safety device though so any tire shop should remove them for you. I can promise you they are the problem!! Just this morning I noticed how much better the ride is at 80 mph. Its much quieter (no road noise) and no shaking AT ALL. Even braking at high speeds is as smooth as butter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2003, 03:44 PM   #8
sonkist32
sonkist32 is on a distinguished road

not that I don't trust you as you seem to know what your talking about, but does anybody else see a problem with taking these things off

also is there 2 per wheel or 1 and is it only the front wheels? easy to do?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sonkist32's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sonkist32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2003, 04:36 PM   #9
MPR2001GTi

There are 2 per wheel, front and back for a total of 8. They screw off the lugs. You may have to use a small punch to get them started then just unscrew them with your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2003, 06:13 PM   #10
torque
torque is on a distinguished road

those little clips are on there so the drums and rotors cant fall off or get cocked during assembley. any time aftermarket wheels are installed, these should be removed. every box that i have opened had 'installation instructions' and they state in black and white to remove these clips.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to torque's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help torque reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2003, 09:44 PM   #11
MPR2001GTi

Bump for the info, she still as smooth as my girlfriend's gl-ass of wine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread