SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
saturnPr!de
saturnPr!de is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Performance Chip

I am finally back here on saturnfans and i love it, anyways, i looking to put a performance chip in my 1997 sl2 manual transmision im just wondering if there is a certain brand that will give me the best bang for my buck and how hard it is toi install and program and all that, just looking for some information thanks guys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnPr!de's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnPr!de reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnPr!de is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1
Default Re: Performance Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnPr!de
I am finally back here on saturnfans and i love it, anyways, i looking to put a performance chip in my 1997 sl2 manual transmision im just wondering if there is a certain brand that will give me the best bang for my buck and how hard it is toi install and program and all that, just looking for some information thanks guys.

NONE. stay away from performance chips for $aturns. all they do is empty your wallet...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
saturnPr!de

1997 SL2

ok what is the best way to get some HP without spending tons ya know

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnPr!de reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
ok what is the best way to get some HP without spending tons ya know
well, after several years pondering this same question, i've come to the conclusion that it is neither easy nor cheap to extract hp from our saturns. in compensation for this, i have instead decided to set up my c.ar to deliver the most lateral traction possible.

you can do things that help a little (very little, in my experience) like intake, t.hrottle body bore, e.xhaust. this will give you a better sounding car (opinion) but not necessarily a more powerful one. throttle response might be increased, but no real increase in hp.

beware of companies/individuals that claim they can give your saturn cheap hp. it does not exist. cheapest real increase is probably ('nuther opinion) the addition of a nitrous wet-kit. cheapest is a relative term here. the key is to research parts you intend to buy. it will pay off in the long run...

s3aturnr

p.s. sorry for the extra punctuation, i don't like unsolicited links on my posts...

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
saturnPr!de

1997 SL2

i see what you are saying, i already have a SPS hotshot intake, i was looking at the big bore throttle body, how hard is that to install? and also ive been looking at exhaust, there is yet another question, i want a deep sounding car, ricey but not WAY ricey you know what can i do there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2006, 01:19 PM   #6
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Cheap?

Strip the interior, strip all the sound buffer stuff of your doors and body, strip the trunk, strip the dash.. see where I'm going here?

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
saturnPr!de

1997 SL2

yeah i see, but i am looking for more HP not weight reduction.........yet........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #8
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
yeah i see, but i am looking for more HP not weight reduction.........yet........
They result in the same thing. And weight reduction affects performance in a straight line, stopping, and cornering.

You are kind of vague on how well you can fund your desires. The best return is going to be in a good tuneup and filters and ensure that all engine parameters are in their optimal range.

Once you've done that, an exhaust system will give you the best return. There's no point working on the intake side until you increase the capacity of the exhaust.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:45 PM   #9
10W30
Advanced Member
10W30 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Quote:
Your Saturn was engineered for one purpose and one purpose only: To get from Point A to -----------> Point B.
If your looking for some good quality advice on this subject, try looking on www.TurboSaturns.net

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 10W30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 10W30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
10W30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:45 PM   #10
scsomike
scsomike is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

being lighter is part of the cheap way to gain performance... as far as spending money to go fast in a saturn, you are going to have to spend a pretty fair amount from what i've seen around here. you can do the nitrous route, the turbo route or you can try to cram a different GM fwd plant in there. other than that, bolt ons don't add up to much.

'97 SL2, 5spd get around car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scsomike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scsomike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scsomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #11
saturnPr!de

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor
They result in the same thing. And weight reduction affects performance in a straight line, stopping, and cornering.

Once you've done that, an exhaust system will give you the best return. There's no point working on the intake side until you increase the capacity of the exhaust.
good point, to strip my car i wouldnt want to go as far as removing seats and that sort of thing, so what are some other things i could remove?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #12
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
good point, to strip my car i wouldnt want to go as far as removing seats and that sort of thing, so what are some other things i could remove?
http://evilplastic.com/p92-wgt1.htm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Applefool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Applefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #13
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applefool
The only thing I can say is, taking out the air deflectors at the front of the car is not a good idea, otherwise, wow.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:59 PM   #14
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

By removing weight, you also tend to make the car much less comfortable to be in. Wind, road, engine, and exhaust noise all get much louder when there is less to insulate you from them. Just a warning for you.

--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #15
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy
The only thing I can say is, taking out the air deflectors at the front of the car is not a good idea, otherwise, wow.
In this case he replaced the closed off front fascia with an open one from a '96 coupe. Therefore it's not an issue.

--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #16
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm
In this case he replaced the closed off front fascia with an open one from a '96 coupe. Therefore it's not an issue.

--Tom
Oh I didn't know that the facia was open enough to allow proper airflow, if that's the case, then I guess it's fine.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #17
pranqstr
pranqstr is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Performance Chip or increased horsepower

Okay,
How much HP is practical for a street c-ar with a ecotec en=gine? While we all want the best, biggest and brightest ca-r, but at what point does the horsepower make it hard to drive around town?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pranqstr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pranqstr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pranqstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #18
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy
Oh I didn't know that the facia was open enough to allow proper airflow, if that's the case, then I guess it's fine.
Yep. These years of coupes didn't use any air deflecting/channeling devices that I'm aware of. The deflectors got ripped off my 92 and the car would always warm up to the 3/4 line and then cool off just fine when the fan kicked on. It would do this no matter what the weather or driving conditions. I guess it's good to know that the fan is capable of cooling the car down on its own. I later went in and dremeled out my closed off fascia to somewhat resemble the '96 fascia (minus the fog light holes). Now the car stays around the 1/2 mark if I'm moving.

--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2006, 06:05 PM   #19
96SaturnSc1cp
96SaturnSc1cp is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1

"Emissions junk

Removed the EGR valve (replaced with a block-off plate)"

can you do this with no ill effects. cause i had a bunch of problems with mine. and i thought i needed it. i dont intend on taking it off i would just like to no if everything would run right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 96SaturnSc1cp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 96SaturnSc1cp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
96SaturnSc1cp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:16 PM   #20
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

No.

Your computer is expecting it to be there.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote