SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2002, 12:25 AM   #1
pbrown
pbrown is on a distinguished road

Default KYB struts and Eibach springs

Hi All,

I'm going to buy new springs and struts for my 96 SL2. Aside from the obvious, do I need anything else to do this right? KYB sells new strut mounts and Eibach has a camber adjustment kit. Do I need to buy these? How easy is the install for the home mechanic?

Thanks,
Pat

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pbrown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pbrown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2002, 08:21 AM   #2
Abe95SC2
Abe95SC2 is on a distinguished road

Getting new mounts and a camber kit would be a very good idea.

They are not NECESSARY for the install but having new mounts put in while the struts are out is cheap insurance. Also I've heard of people being able to install the eibachs without a camber kit but the camber kit would make it easier for he person doing the install and might reduce the labor cost if you were to take it to a shop.

My clubmate was able to do his strut/spring install in his garage with basic tools, jackstands and a spring compressor. So anyone with basic mechanical skills should be able to pull this off without a hitch. Just be sure that the first place the car goes after the install is the alignment shop.

Abe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Abe95SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Abe95SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2002, 01:40 PM   #3
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: KYB struts and Eibach springs

Quote:
Originally posted by pbrown
Hi All,

I'm going to buy new springs and struts for my 96 SL2. Aside from the obvious, do I need anything else to do this right? KYB sells new strut mounts and Eibach has a camber adjustment kit. Do I need to buy these? How easy is the install for the home mechanic?

Thanks,
Pat
use your existing strut mounts. kyb struts don't need camber adjustment kits because the kyb struts have enough adjustment with the slots on the bottom holes to set them back to normal if you don't want too much negative camber. i've installed struts and springs on mine and buddies saturns and it's fairly easy. you'll need a spring compressor and jack stands to do it. it helps if you have an air tools too. oh yeah you'll need an alignment afterwards. have your saturn store do it so they don't screw it up like some places do

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
98greenSC2
Advanced Member
98greenSC2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Sorry to raise the dead.

I have Eibach Pro-Kit springs and I'm thinking I should change the struts soon. The ride is getting rougher and less comfortable. Sometimes when I go over a speed bump, there's a pinging noise from the right rear corner. I looking to installing KYB GR-2 struts as I've heard good things about them when coupled with lowering springs. Should I also change the strut mounts and boots when I do this? Really I should have done this when I installed the springs. I guess that's practice now. My car should handle and ride better after installing new struts and swapping the stock alloys with 15" Konig Heliums with Kuhmo Ecsta 711 215/55-15 tires.

http://members.cardomain.com/stdmtn11
15.59 @ 87.1 quarter mile
1998 Saturn SC2 *sold* What have I done!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98greenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98greenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2005, 01:04 PM   #5
savage
savage is on a distinguished road

i put on kyb's and sprint 2". and w/ the kyb's i could have gone as much as -3deg camber up front. but i didnt more like -1.75 and the thing handled awesomely. about -1 in the rear. it was awesome. but on the new ride drop zones w. no name struts. Drop zones are ok. hurts over bumps but crucial in the corners.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to savage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help savage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #6
98greenSC2
Advanced Member
98greenSC2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage
i put on kyb's and sprint 2". and w/ the kyb's i could have gone as much as -3deg camber up front. but i didnt more like -1.75 and the thing handled awesomely. about -1 in the rear. it was awesome. but on the new ride drop zones w. no name struts. Drop zones are ok. hurts over bumps but crucial in the corners.
How was the ride with the KYB struts? I think the KYB struts are stiffer than stock and dampens better than stock struts with lowering springs. Also, how was the tire wear with all the camber? I try to keep mine at -.5 camber all around and no more than -1 with as little toe as possible.

http://members.cardomain.com/stdmtn11
15.59 @ 87.1 quarter mile
1998 Saturn SC2 *sold* What have I done!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98greenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98greenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #7
savage
savage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdmtn11
How was the ride with the KYB struts? I think the KYB struts are stiffer than stock and dampens better than stock struts with lowering springs. Also, how was the tire wear with all the camber? I try to keep mine at -.5 camber all around and no more than -1 with as little toe as possible.
handling was awesome. after you went over a bump it like didnt jounce at all.i believe the kybs are 30% stiffer rebound in the front and stock spec in the rear. tire wear was a lil excessive the way i had it set up. but 1 deg would probally be real close if not in spec.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to savage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help savage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:14 PM   #8
Jammer
Advanced Member
Jammer is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Yup, handeling goes way up. I did just what you want to do, Eibach and KYB's left in the stock strut mounts. There was no need for the camber kit. I did the install in about 3 hours in the driveway. Go to Sears and buy a spring compressor and a 21mm open end for the stock top nut and I think the top nut on the KYB's was a 19mm (doublecheck I am a bit fuzzy on that). Also a 17.5mm rear sway bar made a great improvement. If you can do it all at once. Lots-a-fun.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:20 PM   #9
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
with KYB GR2 struts you do -not- need any camber adjustment kit. the KYB struts have a slotted hole on the bottom so you have plenty of adjustment there already.
oh wait.. i answered this post before. someone dug this back up

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #10
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

for the disassembly of the stock struts, USE A SPRING COMPRESSOR. i have seen someone get shot by a flying spring from my 96sl2 and it takes many beers to make the pain go away. also, there are bearings in the front strut assembly and they flew all over. took us an extra 20 min to get those rounded up, cleaned and back where they belong. when putting the lowering springs on the new struts, you probably won't need a compressor, the springs are too short to pre-load properly. i've always wondered if there would be a performance benefit of having those kyb struts shortened by about an inch and a half so the springs could be pre-loaded on the strut. anyone have an insight to this?

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-12-2005, 10:03 AM   #11
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer
Yup, handeling goes way up. I did just what you want to do, Eibach and KYB's left in the stock strut mounts. There was no need for the camber kit. I did the install in about 3 hours in the driveway. Go to Sears and buy a spring compressor and a 21mm open end for the stock top nut and I think the top nut on the KYB's was a 19mm (doublecheck I am a bit fuzzy on that). Also a 17.5mm rear sway bar made a great improvement. If you can do it all at once. Lots-a-fun.
I haven't done suspension in a saturn yet, but I know that w/ VWs you should ALWAYS change the strut mount. it is usually worn, and why wouldn't you want to replace it while you're in there? it's like changing the water pump on a V6 when you change the timing belt. you save on labor and it's preventative maintenance.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!