saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 05-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Turbocharger exhaust manifold and kit

Has anyone else seen this on ebay? Sorry if this has already been posted, too lazy to hit the search button.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Opel-...item5191decb46

And this too...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Opel-...item3ef8bbb2e3

phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
Joshua34
Joshua34 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Turbocharger exhaust manifold and kit

Is that the t3/t4 for like 400.00 if so yes. me friend put it in his 03 saturn. it gave him around 80 horses more
Joshua34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

Would anybody be willing to try it in their Astra?? because for that price... it's quite tempting.........
Marc-Antoine

2009 Astra XE 5-door, Twilight Blue.
"I have four rules in the Astra. No food, no drink, no smoking, and no vomit. Got it? Now... let me just put my coffee in the cup holder..."
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Suns_PSD
Suns_PSD is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

For that inexpensive price I'd sure like to see someone give it a shot.

Roman Numeral Dude has the equipment to program one of these motors not to mention the most invested into his ride so he would be the obvious candidate.
Suns_PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Mgg4591
Mgg4591 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I want to put one of these in my SL2 but i really dont want to lose my A/C. Is there a way to put in a turbo and keep the A/C? The kit looks exactly the same for the s-series but the manifold is different, obviously.
2002 Mitsubishi Galant 2.4, 94,500 miles
2007 Toyota Camry 2.4, 29,600 miles
1999 Saturn SL2 1.9, 93,700 miles
Mgg4591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

If I had the money and downtime available to install a turbo on my Astra, I would. From what I've gathered, our ECU can compensate for low boost without tuning.
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgg4591 View Post
I want to put one of these in my SL2 but i really dont want to lose my A/C. Is there a way to put in a turbo and keep the A/C? The kit looks exactly the same for the s-series but the manifold is different, obviously.
Without knowing anything about turbocharging, why would you lose the air-conditioning?
Old 05-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
Mgg4591
Mgg4591 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfire6 View Post
Without knowing anything about turbocharging, why would you lose the air-conditioning?
Because the turbo sits right where the a/c compressor goes.
Mgg4591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
For that inexpensive price I'd sure like to see someone give it a shot.

Roman Numeral Dude has the equipment to program one of these motors not to mention the most invested into his ride so he would be the obvious candidate.
Although he has the most invested, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the equipment needed to reprogram the computer.

That said, did anyone else not notice the huge glaring hole in both links? That being, exactly which Ecotec motor is this supposed to fit? Nowhere does it mention either an engine code, displacement, or model year. And a T3/T4 hybrid would be a bit big for our small 1.8L engines and would likely lag like crazy. Finally, a turbo, intercooler, cooling fan, and turbo timer (plus a bunch of other stuff) for under $500 US!?! Only in your dreams!

PS: It also states that "installation instructions are not included". It is my guess that this is some cheap universal kit and that the seller has absolutely no idea whether it will work on our Astras or not.

Caveat Emptor!
"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
NJastra
NJastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
Although he has the most invested, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the equipment needed to reprogram the computer.

That said, did anyone else not notice the huge glaring hole in both links? That being, exactly which Ecotec motor is this supposed to fit? Nowhere does it mention either an engine code, displacement, or model year. And a T3/T4 hybrid would be a bit big for our small 1.8L engines and would likely lag like crazy. Finally, a turbo, intercooler, cooling fan, and turbo timer (plus a bunch of other stuff) for under $500 US!?! Only in your dreams!

PS: It also states that "installation instructions are not included". It is my guess that this is some cheap universal kit and that the seller has absolutely no idea whether it will work on our Astras or not.

Caveat Emptor!

OMG......PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THAT! I JUST WON THE AUCTION!!!
LOL just kidding That would suck tho, huh?
-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

2017 Regal GS, 20", fully loaded

1987 Z28 - modded
NJastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
GM Sky Man
GM Sky Man is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Guys (old and newbies), it has been 2 years since our Astras came across the pond. And despite all these snake-oil salesmen telling us that they can "tune" our cars, no one and I repeat that NO ONE has put their collective money where their mouths (or blog typing) is at. STOP living in the fanatsy world. No one is going to see a profit in undertaking a power performance upgrade for our Astras. It is not in the cards. Not in the picture. There is simply not enough Astra owners to warrant the development cost, the piece costs, and the market to tune up this eco-box. Let it go already...

Next month, someone will "claim" they can get 100+ hp out of your car if they paint it pink, rub a special 100% carnuba wax on the paint, sacrifice a chicken and perform a voo-doo dance around the car to "life the evil horsepower robbing spirits" from the soul of the car. And sadly, some of you on this forum will ACTUALLY believe that too. Repeat after me...Let it go.
GM Sky Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #12
vanilla sky

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Sky Man View Post
Guys (old and newbies), it has been 2 years since our Astras came across the pond. And despite all these snake-oil salesmen telling us that they can "tune" our cars, no one and I repeat that NO ONE has put their collective money where their mouths (or blog typing) is at. STOP living in the fanatsy world. No one is going to see a profit in undertaking a power performance upgrade for our Astras. It is not in the cards. Not in the picture. There is simply not enough Astra owners to warrant the development cost, the piece costs, and the market to tune up this eco-box. Let it go already...

Next month, someone will "claim" they can get 100+ hp out of your car if they paint it pink, rub a special 100% carnuba wax on the paint, sacrifice a chicken and perform a voo-doo dance around the car to "life the evil horsepower robbing spirits" from the soul of the car. And sadly, some of you on this forum will ACTUALLY believe that too. Repeat after me...Let it go.
If that manifold will bolt up to our heads, there's no reason someone couldn't throw a turbo onto one of these cars. Most modern cars can handle very low boost without having to tune them. I truly doubt GM would R&D a new manifold flange for every ecotec engine. I'm willing to be that most of them share the exhaust flange at least.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:04 AM   #13
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla sky View Post
I truly doubt GM would R&D a new manifold flange for every ecotec engine. I'm willing to be that most of them share the exhaust flange at least.
I seriously doubt that, because the Ecotec family covers dozens of individual engines. Our engines are twin-cam VVT, while others lack the VVT and some are even diesels. And those are just some of the engines that were offered in the Astra H.

But if you are correct and that they do share all the same manifold design, then the one in the link won't fit our cars. My Haynes shows the exhaust manifold of the 1.4L sold over in Europe (but not our Z18XER - drat!), and it's bolt pattern doesn't match the gasket shown in the link.
"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."
Old 05-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #14
Suns_PSD
Suns_PSD is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

These Chinese imitation turbos cost nothing and I know from experience that some of them are every bit as good as an equivalent Garrett.

Also, even if the turbo was laggy it could still slap on another 25hp up top. I mean, it's all extra hp that we currently don't have. Furthermore a laggy turbo actually has some advantages including very low parasitic drive losses (low back pressure), high efficiency range, and it's easy on other car driveline parts like the clutch and transmission.
Suns_PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #15
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Just wait until the Chevy Cruze comes out. It's my understanding that it's going to use a very similar 1.8L Family 1 Ecotec as the base engine, so there might be some options out there once there are enough of them on the road. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #16
FooBag
FooBag is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I would say the odds of this bolting up to our engines is very low. Compare the two pictures below. I've circled two areas where there are very obvious differences between the flanges.

Also, I emailed this company through eBay last week asking about this manifold and still have no response from them.

hxxp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/foobag/Z18XERManifold.jpg

hxxp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/foobag/EditedTurboManifold.jpg

edit: So, I can't post links as I don't have 15 posts here yet. Lame! Anyway, you'll have to copy and paste.
2008 Astra XR3
2012 Silverado Crew Cab
FooBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #17
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooBag View Post
So, I can't post links as I don't have 15 posts here yet. Lame! Anyway, you'll have to copy and paste.
Here are the images in the links he put up.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:18 AM   #18
Astra La Vista!

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
These Chinese imitation turbos cost nothing and I know from experience that some of them are every bit as good as an equivalent Garrett.

Also, even if the turbo was laggy it could still slap on another 25hp up top. I mean, it's all extra hp that we currently don't have. Furthermore a laggy turbo actually has some advantages including very low parasitic drive losses (low back pressure), high efficiency range, and it's easy on other car driveline parts like the clutch and transmission.
Well, since the absolute cheapest brand new T3/T4 I've found online in the last five minutes is about $375US (most of them sell for at least double that), that leaves $124 for the intercooler, fan, timer, gaskets, plated plumbing, air filter, header wrap, water/laser-cut flanges, etc. Not going to happen. Besides, the cheap hose clamps included in the kit are a joke (especially with non-flanged tubing), and I don't even see any provisions for supplying that turbo with oil (or returning it to the sump).

2.2-2.3L would be the absolute minimum displacement for a T3/T4. While it is true that you'll have less back pressure in the exhaust system because such a large turbo is more free flowing, you'll also likely have to run it up well beyond 5,000+ RPMs before you begin to see any worthwhile boost. You'll get some small HP boost all right, but it will come on very late as the larger, heavier turbo spools up. And it won't really be any more efficient than a smaller turbo, simply because the turbo will only never get into the operating range where that fact matters.

Turbos need to be sized to the engine's displacement and RPMs, and while I would agree that it is better to go slightly larger than slightly smaller, a T3/T4 would simply be too much for our small 1.8L engines.

The scariest thing in the eBay write-up reads as follows:

"We are the parts supplier, not mechanic. We can try our best to help with generic questions, but it is best to consult a professional turbocharger installer with specific questions.

"There are no installation instructions included. The install is simple and most customers install it themselves in a weekend. If you cannot figure it out or feel uncomfortable with the installation, please have a professional assist."

Translation: "If this kit doesn't fit your Astra like we claim it does, don't call us -- call somebody else."
Old 05-13-2010, 04:15 AM   #19
vanilla sky

2008 Astra XR

TBH, it looks like only one of those bolt holes is off. You really would have to have at least both gaskets in hand to know.

I don't think changing the turbo mounting flange would be that big of a deal if you already have a manifold. Just take the new flange and the manifold to a welder. It would be a lot cheaper than having the whole manifold made for you.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #20
vanilla sky

2008 Astra XR

I got a response. I asked which Ecotec engine the manifold was for and the answer was:

"the 2.0/2.4."

I guess that answers that.