SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 11-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
reinhart0901
reinhart0901 is on a distinguished road

Default 02 vue 2.2 5sp dies when brakes are pressed and when put in reverse.

I have a unique situation. I tried getting help on here about a year ago with no success. I am hoping this time is different.

The problem, I spliced in a trailer light 4 pin connector into the rear harness. It worked fine but when I would hit my brakes the turn signal lights would turn on. I changed the wiring and it worked fine for awhile but then it came back and I started to notice that if I hit the brakes and hold them it would kill the motor. A little later I noticed that it ran funny and died when I would put it in reverse. When the car is running the reverse lights are dimly lit. Through my trial and error I found that if I took a brake light bulb or the reverse light bulb out of the socket the car would die and not restart. I also found if I disconnected the rear harness back under the rear seat it would also not start. I then figured out if I pull the fuses out for the brake lights and the back up lights it runs fine with no issues. Now since it has sat for a year the speedometer quit working but the odometer is fine.
Any help would be great I am almost ready to just part it out. I also took to a local shop and they checked it for any shorts or anything odd and they found nothing. Said I will probably have to go to a gm service to get fixed but I don't want to dump alot of money in this anymore. I had zero issues with it until this happened.
reinhart0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 02 vue 2.2 5sp dies when brakes are pressed and when put in reverse.

It sat for a year?
BUy a new battery,

then disconnect and repair your wiring harness ( remove trailer harness) and see if it improves.
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 02 vue 2.2 5sp dies when brakes are pressed and when put in reverse.

Here is link to previously mentioned thread:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183043

Step one: I'd remove any evidence of installing a four-contact trailer connector to a five-wire system, making certain vehicle wiring is exactly as it was before the modification.

Step two: Each light fixture is connected to vehicle wiring using a small multi-pin connector - and they are easy to disconnect.

(a) Start at left rear corner and disconnect complete tail-lighting fixture and test.

(b) If no change move to right side fixture and retest.

(c) I'm guessing the ground wire (black) is either open or providing high resistance in ground path for one of the two fixtures.

The lack of good ground results in PARK/TURN/BRAKE/BACK-UP bulbs using one of other bulbs power path for ground return.

This is a highly undesirable condition - especially if feed-back voltage makes it back to BCM and ECM.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote