SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
JunkYardSaint
JunkYardSaint is on a distinguished road

Default Remote key: What happens when the battery is dead?

I know this is a stupid question; someone is sure to tell me to just change it - but my problem is that I find no way to open this dang thing though it is surely big enough to fit a small watch battery or something I can't for the life of me see where to put it or how to open this little thing. Aside from that it's getting worn so that the little letters and/or symbols or whatever are getting hard to read or see. I see them for sale on line but how do you get it to work on your specific car or whatever? Maybe my local locksmith can answer my question but while I'm here I figured I may as well ask - if any one knows I'd be much obliged *tips hat

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JunkYardSaint's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JunkYardSaint reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JunkYardSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Remote key: What happens when the battery is dead?

Not putting the year in your post or profile doesn't help. If the battery dies just replace it or read what follows.

If you have a spare one, use it. They should have a notch to use a coin edge to pry the clam shell covers apart - no screws. Once popped apart remove the push button membrane from the circuit board and use a cotton cue tip with some alcohol to clean all the debris from the board and membrane. Either replace the battery for reuse or buy a new one. Remotes acquire debris over the years and sometimes interfere with the buttons making contact with the circuit board so cleaning it occasionally can restore functions quickly. Replacing the battery and a quick button test near the car will tell you whether the battery or remote has failed. Synchronizing one simply requires pressing the LOCK and UNLOCK button for several seconds until the electric doorlocks cycle; the cycling signifies the bcm receiving, acknowledging the remote, and cycling the doorlocks to tell you that your remote has been synched and is working. Perform the same button pushing with the other remote or press any button to see if it works otherwise synch this remote the same way with the two-button press. Its that simple.

Its a little known secret that OEM remotes will work on almost any Saturn by simply reading the owner's manual on synchronizing these things. if you don't have the owner's manual and need to buy replacements, its still easy to synch the new remotes (OEM replacements only) to your car; follow the instructions that usually accompany them or (use the suggestion above). The remotes aren't the problem (as they only transmit a frequency) as much as the bcm is commanded in a certain way by you to enable it to learn and remember up to four remotes. It doesn't matter if you have one or seven remotes; the moment the bcm is enabled in learning mode, its capable of learning the last four remotes being transmitted, one at a time. This does not require a trip to Saturn for programming when you can DIY. This procedure is only for the regular remote keyless entry systems. The newer, and very expensive to replace, rfid subminiature chip in the key transponder never needing a battery but physical presence to the car to unlock the OEM alarm system may require Saturn or GM intervention. I haven't read up on this yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

sorry fdryer, but you are wrong on at least one point, you cannot program ions for new remotes, you need to go to a dealership, and dealerships often will not program a remote that is not GM bought. I have to say I am impressed with the durability of my remote, it survived me falling on it from 30 ft, followed by a boulder falling on me while being submerged. I bent the heavy duty key ring it was on into a D, but the remote is undamaged.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

MOST and I repeat MOST dealers will program your remote at no cost. Take the key ring off and pop the fob open from that end. Remove battery clean contacts and install new battery. It may just work as they do not always need to be programmed after a battery change. The FOB be with you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:22 AM   #5
johnsonsmith
johnsonsmith is on a distinguished road

My car has been sitting for quite some time and today i tried to unlock the car, but it wouldn't open. I tried opening it with the key in the keyhole and no luck.I call Locksmith coconut creek for my car problem.They visited me at my place and perform their work in about half an hour.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnsonsmith's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnsonsmith reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnsonsmith is offline   Reply With Quote