SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 10-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #21
bigbird189
bigbird189 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Quad High Beam mod w/DRL & Fog Lights

I have a question regarding this, can't you just run a ground wire from the high beams to ground? I did this with my 02 Chevy Silverado and it has worked great and no problems since I have done it a year ago. I know this is old but all I could find is people using relays.
bigbird189 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2014, 09:42 PM   #22
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Does your Silverado use ground-side switching for the headlights? Does it use the high beams at half voltage for DRLs?
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #23
bigbird189
bigbird189 is on a distinguished road

Honestly I don't know. I found out how to do it through another forum. I realized that it would actually be the ground side of the low beams instead of the high beam side so when the high beam kicks on the low beams would still be grounded all the time. I don't know about the DRLs, I have them disabled.
1997 Saturn SL2 White
217,000 miles and running on 3 cyl. All stock
bigbird189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:38 AM   #24
Starduster_Sat
Starduster_Sat is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

I suppose I should ask what the objective is, because the headlamp optics may not cooperate. I get what you're trying to do, run both low beam and high beam together. But from my experience with my old 95 SL (Gen1) and the 97SL (Gen2, I trust), each lamp has a different beam pattern which weren't designed to work together. The low beam is derived from the old SAE sealed beam standard- hot spot down & to the right, with relatively none to little light to the left, unlike the ECE Euro spec low beam. Running low & hi together (in either case) will be brighter, but at the cost of quality of light distribution. Back in the sealed beam days, a four lamp system had a seperate hi beam filament for the low beam lamp. Which was also the case if you defied the law and ran Euro headlight conversions. Most recent vehicles (be it halogen, HID, or LED) run to the DOT VOL standard- a low beam that mimics the decades-ahead-of-its-time Cibie Z Beam headlight- with the Z shaped jog on the right side of the beam. And these days, specifically designed to be used with a spot high beam. I have zero experience with the 99 and newer Saturn headlights, so I do not know their optics or operation.

The OE fog lights... I don't know how much help they would be with hi beams, other than make the car look wider. Whatta ya expect from 27.5 watts per and ratty optics?

Unlike the old days, you can't swap out for Euro H4/H1 lamps. Must make the best of what you have. Besides keeping the lenses scrupulously clean with Meguiers Plast-X once they start to fog over, there are upgraded bulbs that didn't exist back then. On the 97 SL2, I recently upgraded to Philips Xtreme Vision 9006, and Philips 9011 Halogen IR on high, replacing 9005. I have experience with Halogen IR PAR 38 lamps in a commercial environment, loved their brightness *and* longer service life (from lower wattage), and I am banking on a much longer service life than the Xtreme Vision 9005, in a lamp that also does DRL duty. The two bulbs are well matched to each other. (Available here: http://store.candlepower.com/houpbuthno.html)

I'm looking at all the wiring diagrams, and am glad I haven't dared to mess with it. All so much more complicated than when I installed fog lights on my Opel Manta.
1997 SL2
1995 SL2- RIP @ 332967 mi
Starduster_Sat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #25
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starduster_Sat View Post
Unlike the old days, you can't swap out for Euro H4/H1 lamps.
While I never felt the need for a brighter light output in my '96 SC2's, the '91-'92 SC & '93-'96 SC2 will do H4's with no issue at all (sure the plug is different but that's easy to fix too). Just need a 4x6 square housing to take whatever bulb you want to put in there...

What I found hilarious with my Outback was when I got fog light bulbs for it I had to get the same part number as the S-Series (that aren't '91-'92 SC & '93-'96 SC2) use for low beam! That says a lot about the quality of light output from it IMO...
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #26
Starduster_Sat
Starduster_Sat is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
What I found hilarious with my Outback was when I got fog light bulbs for it I had to get the same part number as the S-Series (that aren't '91-'92 SC & '93-'96 SC2) use for low beam! That says a lot about the quality of light output from it IMO...
Bulb # 880? All 27.5 watts of it? Yep...

Since for whatever reason, I cannot edit my post above, a spelling correction: Meguiars...
1997 SL2
1995 SL2- RIP @ 332967 mi
Starduster_Sat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #27
djjsc
djjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1
1998 SW2
Default Quad High Beam mod w/DRL & Fog Lights

Quote:
I suppose I should ask what the objective is, because the headlamp optics may not cooperate...................each lamp has a different beam pattern which weren't designed to work together........................ Back in the sealed beam days, a four lamp system had a seperate hi beam filament for the low beam lamp.
Objective is obvious; more light covering more area = safer driving. High beam bulb alone just don't cut it. Of coarse they have a "different beam pattern"; it's the whole idea behind hi-lo beam lamps. As far as not being designed to work together; both beams are in the same housing aimed by the same adjustment. You can't adjust one w/o changing the other; they had to be designed to work together. The old 4 lamp sealed low beam adjustment was exactly the same. Relaying both together has made my night driving much more predictable; quite surprising the diff it makes.
djjsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #28
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The HIR bulbs in both high and low beams is a very effective upgrade and does not attract attention as the color temperature is not shifted to blue. Have been using them for years.

Quote:
I suppose I should ask what the objective is, because the headlamp optics may not cooperate. I get what you're trying to do, run both low beam and high beam together. But from my experience with my old 95 SL (Gen1) and the 97SL (Gen2, I trust), each lamp has a different beam pattern which weren't designed to work together. The low beam is derived from the old SAE sealed beam standard- hot spot down & to the right, with relatively none to little light to the left, unlike the ECE Euro spec low beam. Running low & hi together (in either case) will be brighter, but at the cost of quality of light distribution. Back in the sealed beam days, a four lamp system had a seperate hi beam filament for the low beam lamp. Which was also the case if you defied the law and ran Euro headlight conversions. Most recent vehicles (be it halogen, HID, or LED) run to the DOT VOL standard- a low beam that mimics the decades-ahead-of-its-time Cibie Z Beam headlight- with the Z shaped jog on the right side of the beam. And these days, specifically designed to be used with a spot high beam. I have zero experience with the 99 and newer Saturn headlights, so I do not know their optics or operation.

The OE fog lights... I don't know how much help they would be with hi beams, other than make the car look wider. Whatta ya expect from 27.5 watts per and ratty optics?

Unlike the old days, you can't swap out for Euro H4/H1 lamps. Must make the best of what you have. Besides keeping the lenses scrupulously clean with Meguiers Plast-X once they start to fog over, there are upgraded bulbs that didn't exist back then. On the 97 SL2, I recently upgraded to Philips Xtreme Vision 9006, and Philips 9011 Halogen IR on high, replacing 9005. I have experience with Halogen IR PAR 38 lamps in a commercial environment, loved their brightness *and* longer service life (from lower wattage), and I am banking on a much longer service life than the Xtreme Vision 9005, in a lamp that also does DRL duty. The two bulbs are well matched to each other. (Available here: http://store.candlepower.com/houpbuthno.html)

I'm looking at all the wiring diagrams, and am glad I haven't dared to mess with it. All so much more complicated than when I installed fog lights on my Opel Manta.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:15 PM   #29
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

I am very pleased with the PIAA bulbs I put in all 4 lights. Been using them for years with no issues. Clean white light is great in northern Canada at night. None of that fancy blue crap for me thanks!
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #30
510man
510man has much to be proud of510man has much to be proud of510man has much to be proud of510man has much to be proud of510man has much to be proud of510man has much to be proud of510man has much to be proud of510man has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjsc View Post
Hi beam ground signals relay engagement, relay connects blue low beam ground to chassis ground, both high & low beams are on. Works great! DRLs work as before; fog lamps same (avail w/ park lamps & low beam; auto off on hi beam). If don't like just unplug relay.
I basically did this mod. A single relay where the hi beam ground and a 12v source trigger the coil and the low beam light when the relay connects the low beam ground to chassis. I have the HIR blubs in there. The two combined make a HUGE difference.

My DRLs are disconnected. The fog lamps are on the factory setup. There' s something wrong with the fogs though. The switch doesn't work all the time. I think it's a momentary switch and not an actual switch. I'll have to play around with it to figure it out. The factory fog lamps are 30W or something so they don't do a whole lot.
510man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #31
djjsc
djjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1
1998 SW2
Default Quad High Beam mod w/DRL & Fog Lights

Am looking for HIR replacements; so far none avail in stores here. On-line expensive; are they REALLY $30 ea???
Old 12-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #32
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjsc View Post
Am looking for HIR replacements; so far none avail in stores here. On-line expensive; are they REALLY $30 ea???
There's a thread going on in the Tech forum right now on HIR's - here's a link to it. I bought my HIR bulbs from CandlePower.com and they were $50 for a pair including international shipping to Canada. Shipping was via USPS and there was no tax or duty charges. Here's a link to the product page on CandlePower.
CandlePower HIR Product Page
I only ordered the low beams but if you want both high and low beams it'll run you $90.
1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #33
510man
510man has much to be proud of510man has much to be proud of510man has much to be proud of510man has much to be proud of510man has much to be proud of510man has much to be proud of510man has much to be proud of510man has much to be proud of

I bought from CandlePower.com as well. They are spendy but they are the only upgrade option that doesn't involve a bunch of rewiring.

I actually prefer the HIR. The light is yellow like a halogen, unlike a HID, and that helps minimize the flashing from oncoming traffic. It also works better in the rain as the white HIDs reflect the rain and you can't see very well. The HIDs are also irritating to oncoming traffic. I actually wish they'd outlaw the HIDs.

I liked the HIRs in the Saturn so much I put them in my Suburban too. HIR with quad wiring is tough to beat for $100.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #34
djjsc

1997 SL1
1998 SW2
Default HIDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510man View Post
The HIDs are also irritating to oncoming traffic. I actually wish they'd outlaw the HIDs.
Yep, HIDs are becoming a hazard around here.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #35
510man

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelhogan44 View Post
After using this mod for 6 years, it destroyed the switch on my steering column. USE WITH CAUTION.
I think you did something wrong. The mod in the article doesn't add any incremental load to the existing wiring. I wouldn't think the column switch carries the load. It should just trip the factory relays, which requires less than an amp to do. If Saturn engineers wired the cars for the column switch to carry the load, that's a bad design that I'm likely to rewire.

Old Nuc or someone else may know for sure.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #36
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The relay coil will cause an arc across the switch contacts if there is no arc suppression diode installed. There are no diodes across the coils in that mod and it will and has burned up switches.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #37
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Would the diode's used by the S-Series A/C system do the job? I've got quite a few of them in my jar of fuse's thinking they'd come in handy...
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #38
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes they will. Install them backwards as the relay coil polarity reverses when the field collapses and that is when you want the diode to conduct. Same way it is wired across the A/C clutch coil.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:07 AM   #39
ayge
ayge is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2

I was gonna do this but someone said (on the internet somewhere) it cused a car fire. It was a diffrent model GM but still...IDK Id almost rather get some lights from the junk yard and try and retro fit hid LMAO
ayge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:41 AM   #40
crummydriver
crummydriver is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

Hi Everyone,

I've disabled my DRLs and done the quad beam mod using the single relay method on my 2002 SL1; my first Saturn. I've also installed Silver Star 9005 and 9006 bulbs. This mod has made a huge difference in night driving. I always keep a couple of extra relays and fuses on board, just in case. I think my next purchase will be the 9011 and 9012 bulbs, and if that's not enough, I'll find some nice fog lights.

Pretty impressed with the car thus far; it seems to be solidly built, and is very easy to tinker on.
crummydriver is offline   Reply With Quote