SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 11:07 AM   #1
KrgION03
KrgION03 is on a distinguished road

Default Keyless Entry?

Does anyone know if the dealer will add a keyless entry for me separately? My car did NOT come with it from the factory, but it's something I really want!
Kyle

18 Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic, Narvik Black
15 Porsche Cayman, Carrara White
Previous:
13 Porsche Boxster
09 Mercedes-Benz C300
06 Mini Cooper S
05 Saab 9-3
03 Saturn Ion2
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2003, 11:17 AM   #2
SonataInFSharp
SonataInFSharp is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Only if they have an aftermarket option available. They should give you a list of all the aftermarket accessories when you pick up that car.

It would probably be less expensive to buy a car alarm, since that would include keyless entry- but you need power locks installed, usually.

I don't think it would be as easy as you would like, but I am sure something can be done either 1) buy an alarm system, 2)wait for some aftermarket instalation option.

*Drive it like you bought it.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:33 AM   #3
zborgerd
zborgerd is on a distinguished road

Keyless entry comes with the convenience package. I believe that it is $600 extra. That includes auto windows and door locks too.

It's probably something that needs to be factory installed. I couldn't even get them to install fog-lights in mine, so I doubt that they'll do the convenience package thing after the fact.

If you really want it, I'd ask them about it. You might hate to do it, but there is a 1500 mile/30 day return policy. I'd hate to see you stuck with a car that you aren't happy with, just because it doesn't have the few extras that you'd like. I'm sure that you haven't put many miles on it yet, so it shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:10 PM   #4
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

The alarm is easy, but will cost you for aftermarket. You will be using this car for some time, so make sure you get what you want and don't take some answer of "Well, we may be able to do it later on," because after the 30 days/1500 miles they don't need to do anything at all beyond saying, "I'm sorry."

Keyless entry, an alarm, power locks/windows, leather and a sunroof were what I wanted in my SL2 and if it had those features I'd probably still have it and probably driven it into the ground.

Get what you want and be happy now. Some people get new cars/models every year or every few years, but if you like to find a new car and drive it into the ground like some of us, then make sure you get one in which you will be happy to drive it into the ground for as long as you own the vehicle.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:56 PM   #5
ionowner
ionowner is on a distinguished road

I was greatly interested in the keyless option when I got my Ion1, but the dealership quoted me a price of $500-$600 to have it installed.

My dealership also told me that "true Keyless remote" is not available on the Ion. By "true" I mean you hit the Unlock button on the remote and ALL doors locks are unlocked. Aftermarket parts would be the only way to get it done.

It seems silly to me to offer electric locks without the keyless remote. It greatly reduces the functionality of the electric locks without the remote.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:07 PM   #6
Jaseball
Master Member

That dealer is misinformed for saying that about the Ion keyless. You hit the unlock button once it opens the drivers side only, that is true, but you hit it again and all doors on the car unlock.

I can't believe dealers know less about the cars they are selling than the customers. When I bought the Ion3 I knew more about the weight difference between the SL2, the engine, the Delta frame, prices compared to other cars, etc., than the sales person I dealt with, although the sales guy was nice enough.

Heck, it's their JOB to sell the cars in their line, so you would think they would know the details, especially if it is a feature you actually have on the car!
Old 03-25-2003, 03:32 PM   #7
zborgerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaseball
That dealer is misinformed for saying that about the Ion keyless. You hit the unlock button once it opens the drivers side only, that is true, but you hit it again and all doors on the car unlock.

I can't believe dealers know less about the cars they are selling than the customers. When I bought the Ion3 I knew more about the weight difference between the SL2, the engine, the Delta frame, prices compared to other cars, etc., than the sales person I dealt with, although the sales guy was nice enough.

Heck, it's their JOB to sell the cars in their line, so you would think they would know the details, especially if it is a feature you actually have on the car!
Jaseball is correct. Hitting unlock a second time unlocks all of the doors. Hitting the lock button once locks all of the doors. Hitting it a second time arms the alarm, and it responds with a honk.

It is indeed "true" keyless entry.

I'm not surprised at how little these salespeople know about the cars, actually. They are lazy and don't have the passion to research it. A guy at the Saturn dealership mentioned that the ION's all have fold down passenger seats, to which I replied "Only the Quad Coupe does that". It was then that he noticed that he was wrong, having documentation in front of him that said "Quad Coupe Only". This was after they offered me some sort of silly passenger-seat tray that goes on the back of QC passenger seat.

I still can't get over the trunk cargo net. I can't believe that I was the first person to buy one. I'm surprised that they don't stick a list of options in front of their customers. Then again, if I was some other guy that didn't know better, I'd assume that they were correct when they told me that they'de have to charge me $60 to install it because it required drilling and epoxy... Until I pointed out that the clips were there.

Shoot. The things are only $30. It's like they stick floor mats in every single car and call it a day. Those accessories have a high markup. Those people need to push them.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:39 PM   #8
Jaseball
Master Member

Zborgerd-

Hey! I was thinking about the cargo net thing. Does it work well with grocery bags and such and is it worth the $31? I may go pick up the only one they have in stock this afternoon.

Also a small correction on your keyless lock comment. Pushing the lock button once locks the doors and also arms the alarm. Pushing it again does offer a confirmation beep, but you don't need to push it twice for the alarm to set. Check out the 'armed,' light on the dash and the flashing ready delay after on button press vs. two with the beep.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:45 PM   #9
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Beware of aftermarket alarms, etc ebven if the dealer refers the job out for you.

They will void your warranty if the work causes trouble. Also, if you move or the dealer changes hands, your warranty from them needs to be on Charmin to be of any use.

If you must have this option, exchange the car. Dealer parts and labor rates on installing these options will give you an instant stroke.

As the other poster told you, don't be led along by vague promises that "we can add it later". If you really want the options at a fair price, get another ION with the options factory installed.

Good luck.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:19 PM   #10
ducklet
ducklet is on a distinguished road

It's been my experience with ALL of my car purchases (12, including my future QC) that salesmen know shockingly little about the cars they sell and do not want to know. I think they assume it's safer to claim ignorance and just work on their marketing skills.

If I TELL you the price of this car, will you commit to buying it TODAY? Just what will it TAKE to put you behind the wheel?

(That's why I will probably never buy another toyota, honda, or vw ...)

It's got to be Saturn or Acura or a higher class dealership for my future cars.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:23 PM   #11
ducklet

p.s. I don't understand what you guys are saying about keyless entry: "That dealer is misinformed for saying that about the Ion keyless"

How is the dealer misinformed? I haven't seen Saturn's keyless entry, but with my Jetta, you just click it unlocked and jump in. I like the way it beeps when you click it locked and arm the alarm system. Then when you return, the lights flash and the car gets all happy like a puppy.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:45 PM   #12
benpatient
benpatient is on a distinguished road

it works exactly like that on the ion. "lock" once locks the doors and turns on the alarm, unless the driver's door is open, in which case it locks 3 doors and dings to let you know that it is not locked. after i think 5 seconds the drivers door locks, open or not, and the alarm waits to engage till you shut the door. something like 30 seconds.

"lock" twice makes the car beep to confirm that it is locked. if the door is open, it forces it to lock immediately, instead of waiting 5 or so seconds.

"unlock" once unlocks the driver's door and disables the alarm.
"unlock" twice unlocks the rest of the doors.

how is that anything but "real" keyless entry?

i know the Caddy XLR doesn't even have keys (you walk up to the car and it unlocks if you have the key fob with you, and uses push-button starting), but I don't think that's what you're talking about.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:46 PM   #13
benpatient

i forgot to mention that the inside lights turn on any time you hit a button on the keyfob, and that they flash when you hit anything, as well...
Old 03-25-2003, 05:26 PM   #14
ducklet

benpatient: is there a way to disable the *inside* lights turning on when you enter the car or unlock it? I did on my Jetta.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:29 PM   #15
ionowner
ionowner is on a distinguished road

benpatient,

Does the "true keyless remote" you are referring to come standard on any of the Ions? Do you get a free remote with the purchase of the Ion? Makes me think the dealership was trying to get an extra $500 out of me!
Old 03-25-2003, 07:15 PM   #16
Jaseball
Master Member

Only on the Ion3 is the keyless entry/security system standard. On the Ion2 power locks are standard and you can add the keyless/security feature as an option I believe, but on the Saturn site it does not list the keyless/security as options for either the Ion1 or 2 that I can tell.

http://www.saturn.com/is/
Old 03-25-2003, 07:51 PM   #17
benpatient

the ION 3 comes with them, as jaseball said. truth be told, if you want power anything, getting an ION2 is kinda silly.

for not much money, you get fog lights, power everything, 16 inch alloys and firehawk tires, security/keyless, silver gauges, cd/cass, and better quality interior fabric. now if you don't like the interior pattern, 700 bucks will get you leather seats, shifter and steering wheel...

to me, the ION value points are the ION1 auto/manual and the ION3 manual.

ducklet, i'm not sure if you can do that or not. obviously, you could just disable the overhead light completely. is there a reason you would want to turn off this feature? i mean, if it's night time, and you go to unlock your doors, what if someone were in the back seat, and you didn't see them because the dome light didn't come on till you opened the door? i like the dome light coming on with "unlock" but i guess that's me...

it goes of very quickly after you hit "lock" though. it stays on a while after "unlock"
Old 03-25-2003, 10:14 PM   #18
zborgerd

Default Lights and keyless.

Keyless entry is part of the convenience package. I'm looking at my reciept, and it's more expensive than what I mentioned before. Looks to be $825. That adds keyless entry/alarm, power windows/locks, power mirrors, and cruise. But it is standard with the ION3.

Ducklet. There is a control inside, on the dome light, to control it. But as far as I can tell, there is no light control on the remote (fob).
Old 03-25-2003, 10:26 PM   #19
zborgerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaseball
Zborgerd-

Hey! I was thinking about the cargo net thing. Does it work well with grocery bags and such and is it worth the $31? I may go pick up the only one they have in stock this afternoon.

Also a small correction on your keyless lock comment. Pushing the lock button once locks the doors and also arms the alarm. Pushing it again does offer a confirmation beep, but you don't need to push it twice for the alarm to set. Check out the 'armed,' light on the dash and the flashing ready delay after on button press vs. two with the beep.
As for the cargo net- It does work pretty well. Look in the trunk to see where the hooks are. They are on the left and right sides. That will give you a good idea of where they sit. The net spans that whole gap in the trunk.

The net is good for smaller objects. For instance, I put small tools in it, as well as a large Mag-Light. Anything larger might be too big. You can probably put things like ice scrapers in it too. It's pretty low-profile., and stays out of the way of normal things, like grocery bags. But I wouldn't plan on putting anything really big in the net. It was worth the extra convenience to me, for $33. But for some, it might seem like a waste.

I'm thinking of buying a few more things. Namely, the arm rest and the glove box lock.
Closed Thread