SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
LickTheBassist
LickTheBassist is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Cool Royal Purple

With my upcoming oil change, I was going to do a trans fluid change as well.

My question is has anyone used the Royal Purple Max ATF trans fluid? It is supposed to be compatible with the Honda fluid.

My brother swears by their motor oil, which I'm also thinking about using as well. I also looked at my Vue's oil dipstick today.. it was very pretty yellow like new oil.. made me happy! I'm so used to my Accord's oil getting dirty when it's time for a change... it was something new! I've been needing new lately....

I can't tell you if genius is hereditary, because heaven has granted me no offspring.

04 Saturn Vue 3.5L AWD
95 Honda Accord EX-L 2.2L VTEC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LickTheBassist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LickTheBassist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LickTheBassist is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: Royal Purple

If your brother performed a UOA before, and after using RP motor oil he would change his mind... My engine experienced higher wear using RP...

After using their motor oil, I wouldn't use their ATF.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:29 AM   #3
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Agreed. Royal Purple isn't horrible, but it's nothing special. Plus, if a fellow member used RP on his J35 and came out with a bad UOA, I'd definitely stray away.

RP is over-hyped by the media to the muscle car types, from what I've seen.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

I wouldn't use ANYTHING in the Honda transmission other than OEM Z1 Honda or the GM labeled equivalent.

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
strikers
strikers is on a distinguished road

I have used Lucas Multy ATF trans fluid with great results. i tow on a weekly basis. You dont need to use manufactured trans fluid. Just pick out the ATF fluid you want that is Multi Vehicle. You will be fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to strikers's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help strikers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
strikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
stbvue
stbvue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

I seen on the RP website they were testing it before and after on the Dyno machine and they claimed to have gained 8 more HP. Dont know how true it is, but that would only apply if you were racing. Some on here use the RP Synchromax for their RDM. Personally i stuck with the Honda Z1 tranny fluid and it made a difference so far.

I dont mind things that go bump in the night as long as they arent in my VUE!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stbvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stbvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stbvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
LickTheBassist

2004 VUE 3.5L

Ok then... I get a resounding NO from everyone. I have no problem going down to the Honda dealership and getting my fluid, there are some nice looking mechanics down there.

So.. what kind of oil would you guys recommend? I used Valvoline High Mileage in my Accord... my dad is loyal to Pennzoil... and the bro uses the Royal Purple... so what is the best oil?

I can't tell you if genius is hereditary, because heaven has granted me no offspring.

04 Saturn Vue 3.5L AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LickTheBassist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
stbvue
stbvue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

I myself aslo use Pennzoil...It keeps the lifters quiet in my Vue.. I think its 5w-20....I also use 10w-30 for winter....both gave me good performance. Not to mention most garages around me use it also, so thats what i go with.

I dont mind things that go bump in the night as long as they arent in my VUE!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stbvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stbvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stbvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
newbievueowner
newbievueowner will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE Red Line

I ran Amsoil ATF for almost 30,000 km's and here were my observations:

1) the oil was still nice and red and didn't smell burnt.
2) it seemed to act a little funny when lugging the motor/trans at certain speeds/RPM's. Seemed to drag the RPM down even more and take more throttle to get it to downshift.
3) the pulsing/surging while lugging in 5th gear started happening near the end. It never did it in the beginning when I first installed it but started doing it more frequently in the end. It may not have anything to do with the fluid, it could be a TC issue.

I have since changed the fluid out to Honda Z1 ATF. So far so good, but it could just be because it's new oil. The amsoil never did it when it was new either so I will have to wait and see. The Z1 seems to downshift easier when going up a hill or lugging the engine and doesn't need as much throttle to get it to kick into a lower gear.

Just my observations in 30,000 kms of driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
Someclown
Someclown is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheBassist View Post
so what is the best oil?
IMO, Mobil 1 full synthetic it costs a bit more but I do 10,000 Kms oil change intervals and change the filter every 5,000 Kms with excellent results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Someclown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Someclown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Someclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

I have been having good luck with Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil and Motorcraft semi-synthetic. The latter is about half the price of the former.

Royal Purple has a following, but doesn't appear to be well regarded by the oil weenies at BITOG.

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #12
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

The best oil is the one that you're happy with. I could use nothing but the finest baby seal oil, but it's very pricey, and it's benefits are unpredictable at best.

OK, that's a joke, bu the truth is that if you use a high quality oil, follow the OLM, and use decent filters you'll be fine. Engines aren't made from glass, and oils and additives have come a long way from the 3-5k oil changes of the 70s. 15k isn't unreasonable these days.

I just get whatever decent oil is on sale at the time I need it, and tend to go with the Fram Tough Guard filters. They're not the best, but they're a decent value and readily available. I've got a few things of Pennzoil High Mileage 10W30 now, Walmart had them for ~$17 each(for the 5 quart jugs). Prior to that I'd just get it changed at a place and let them use whatever.

Use what makes you feel better. It's highly unlikely you'll ever see a noticeable benefit from using Mobil 1 or Royal Purple over any other decent quality oil. The only reason to do it is to brag about it, or to make yourself feel better.

That said, i thought it was cool how my buddy's Silverado SS had a little "GM recommends Mobil 1" thing on his oil fill cap. Not because the oil is better, it just looked cool in the engine bay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

My best UOA's were with Mobil 1 and Fram Extended Guard synthetic media filters.

The K&N oil filter wasn't as good as the Fram Extended Guard.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #14
newbievueowner

2006 VUE Red Line

That's funny because any articles/write ups I've seen on oil filters all say that Fram are one of the worst filters. Supposedly the NAPA gold filter is one of the best (as far as conventional filters). Anyone ever done a UAO on an Amsoil EAo nano filter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #15
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbievueowner View Post
That's funny because any articles/write ups I've seen on oil filters all say that Fram are one of the worst filters. Supposedly the NAPA gold filter is one of the best (as far as conventional filters). Anyone ever done a UAO on an Amsoil EAo nano filter?
Most Fram suck. But the Tough Guard is the only decent one. It's not great, just the best you can get at walmart.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html

Big comparison of oil filters. It's a good read.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #16
newbievueowner

2006 VUE Red Line

It says that the Harddriver filter and the Amsoil nano filter are very good filters but they really don't give any analysis/details. This is what I would like to see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #17
lemarjones
lemarjones is on a distinguished road

My 2004 Vue has 102K and I've used Amsoil exclusively since I bought it at 42k. I've always used their EOa filter. Every bit of serious research I've found states that Amsoil is at least in the top 5 if not #1 in passenger vehicle lubrication when compared to everything else on the market.

Also, understand that there is NO STANDARD for calling an oil synthetic, synthetic blend, full synthetic, or <blank> synthetic. It's a marketing term!!! No different than saying chocolaty, chocolate taste, chocolate flavored, or chocolate like. It AIN'T CHOCOLATE! If you add one drop of any man-made additive to ANY oil, you can market it as synthetic or full synthetic, or synthetic blend.

Amsoil is actually uses turbine engine oil as its base. So if it's able to stand up to the heat, friction and shear force of an aircraft engine, your pidly passenger car engine is a walk through the park...no a strole...well no...a rest on a park bench.

Do an internet search on the "Oil Bible" and on 'best synthetic oil' and find loads of info on all types of synthetics and how they actually rank. Amsoil or Royal P may or may not be what you need or want, but at least you'll have all the info you need to make an informed decision.

No, I'm not an Amsoil spokesperson or salesman. I just know what has worked for me for the last 20 years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lemarjones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lemarjones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lemarjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #18
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Posting an oil question on a car forum = the best way to bring out everyone's opinion about what is the best and what works for them. Never fails.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #19
D C
D C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
Most Fram suck. But the Tough Guard is the only decent one. It's not great, just the best you can get at walmart.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html

Big comparison of oil filters. It's a good read.
I've read through that "analysis" in the past and frankly I find it mildly entertaining at best and completely misleading at worst.

It's nothing more than a subjective opinion based on qualitative observations of several filters. It doesn't tell me a thing about the filtering efficiency, long-term durability, or anything else performance-wise about the filters.

Frams have been criticized for their construction. Frankly, I don't care if the filter is made out of kleenex & duct tape if it performs well without failure. If Frams were as crappy as one is led to believe, there would be engine failures all over the place from people using them. I'm not seeing it.

Personally, everything I own with an internal combustion engine gets Mobil1 oil. My cars also use Mobil1 or Purolator PureOne filters (higher first-pass efficiency) and go 10k miles between changes. That's hardly a stretch considering that most oil change monitors will go 6-7k between changes with dino-oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to D C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help D C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
D C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #20
LickTheBassist

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
Posting an oil question on a car forum = the best way to bring out everyone's opinion about what is the best and what works for them. Never fails.
Ha! This is true.. I was hoping to do a tally in my head of what everyone chose and see what the most popular one was. I do value everyone's opinion, as I have one myself.

Oil brands are like chocolate... everyone likes a different flavor, but I was hoping there would be a standout contender.... like Hershey! If only my Vue could run on Hershey bars... I think life would be complete.

04 Saturn Vue 3.5L AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!