SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
JohnnySL
JohnnySL is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
1994 SL1
Question Royal Purple

so my 3k miles are up but ive been looking alot into royal purple is it all hype? or is it worthe the 20 dollars more for it is ther any other good oils out there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JohnnySL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JohnnySL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JohnnySL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Royal Purple

Royal Purple is one of the early 100% synthetic oils. the benefit comes from extended drain intervals and improved engine protection from wear. The filter quality is important when using the synthetics. Use a filter that advertises synthetic filter media. If you are burning oil there is no big advantage in switching to synthetic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
JohnnySL

1997 SL1
1994 SL1

actually speaking of im burning oil with only 42k on the engine? ive gone through 2 quarts since i got the car about 2 months ago is that normal burn my last car i beat dead haha so i never bothered checking

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JohnnySL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
oak
oak is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

I wouldn't spend all that money on really expensive oil if your burning it. But I'm sure you'll get all kinds of answers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
Yenko
Yenko is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

I dont even use the "cheap" synthetic oils in my car, it burns it TOO fast, i cant imagine putting royal purple in(not to mention its pointless)

No problems with oil consumption with conventional oil however..

1998 Saturn SC2 - Winter car
2004 Mustang GT - Summer car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yenko's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yenko reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySL View Post
actually speaking of im burning oil with only 42k on the engine? ive gone through 2 quarts since i got the car about 2 months ago is that normal burn my last car i beat dead haha so i never bothered checking
You want to check your oil every morning after the car sits over night. Park in the same spot and keep track of the miles and oil consumption. There are ways that possibly will stop or reduce the oil burning but you have to know how much you are burning before you start trying to correct it. There are 10 diamonds on the stick. You want to monitor the consumption down to the number of diamonds per so many miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:33 AM   #7
JohnnySL

1997 SL1
1994 SL1

alright ill watch my oil over the next oil change are there any oils out there that dont burn as fast?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You may be looking at the oil burning issue incorrectly. Oil is mainly for lubrication, to keep things slipping and sliding along to reduce friction. Its secondary benefit is to absorb the engine heat from the combustion and help cool off the cylinders along with the water cooling system. The fact that some engines use oil more than others can be from poor oil management by design of the oil control rings on the pistons. Saturns seem to have poor oil management as the oil control rings are made to wipe off oil from the cylinder walls. If you read through some threads, the pistons needed tiny holes drilled into the piston groove to help the oil drain. There's a member or two that rebuilt their engines and drilled holes for this. Now only time will tell if the extra holes work.

The oil burning issue, as you can understand it now, is from the oil control rings being stuck and overloaded to the point that they are no longer able to fit the cylinder walls perfectly and wipe off excess oil. Heat eventually cooks the oil in the groove making the oil control ring less flexible, the result is oil winding up in the combustion chamber to burn along with the fuel/air mixture. The other way for oil to enter the upper cylinder area is through the valve stems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
alright ill watch my oil over the next oil change are there any oils out there that dont burn as fast?
Not really, they all go away at about the same rate. Its mostly a matter of the hot viscosity and all of them are very close when tested at operating temperature.

There are things that can be done in an attempt to mitigate the oil burning and some are more effective than others. New rings, valve seals, and oil drain back holes are a sure fix but not cheap either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2008, 09:11 AM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
You may be looking at the oil burning issue incorrectly. Oil is mainly for lubrication, to keep things slipping and sliding along to reduce friction. Its secondary benefit is to absorb the engine heat from the combustion and help cool off the cylinders along with the water cooling system. The fact that some engines use oil more than others can be from poor oil management by design of the oil control rings on the pistons. Saturns seem to have poor oil management as the oil control rings are made to wipe off oil from the cylinder walls. If you read through some threads, the pistons needed tiny holes drilled into the piston groove to help the oil drain. There's a member or two that rebuilt their engines and drilled holes for this. Now only time will tell if the extra holes work.

The oil burning issue, as you can understand it now, is from the oil control rings being stuck and overloaded to the point that they are no longer able to fit the cylinder walls perfectly and wipe off excess oil. Heat eventually cooks the oil in the groove making the oil control ring less flexible, the result is oil winding up in the combustion chamber to burn along with the fuel/air mixture. The other way for oil to enter the upper cylinder area is through the valve stems.
You'd figure with over 100 years of engine building experience that a problem with a oil control ring wouldn't happen. Much less over the 12 year life span of an engine Saturn never got a grip on the problem.

Honda started out as a company that had a better way to make a piston ring. I would have gladly paid Saturn an extra $5 for the car to had a Honda licensed rings in my SC. Imagine a s-series that you wouldn't have to worry about the oil level.

My next oil change is going to be with Royal Purple 5w-20. I'll let you know how it works out. I've heard nothing but good stories about it.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
You'd figure with over 100 years of engine building experience that a problem with a oil control ring wouldn't happen. Much less over the 12 year life span of an engine Saturn never got a grip on the problem.
I couldn't agree with you more!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #12
bobfather99
bobfather99 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Skip the Purple.....

Just use oil thats on sale/rebate, or use house brand oils(AAP, AZ, NAPA)
Change oil/filter every 3k-4k, keep it topped off, call it good.

94 Blue SL1 RIP Thanks to a Drunk Uninsured Driver
95 White Bonneville w/190k

Soon Ill be back in Saturnland.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobfather99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobfather99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobfather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #13
ajs_saturn
Advanced Member
ajs_saturn will become famous soon enoughajs_saturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1
2001 SC1

what about the high mileage engine oil? i see the stuff at the stores all the time that show's oil for engines over 75,000 miles. i have 114k on mine, would that help reduce my oil consumption? what makes this oil better on engines with higher mileage?

2001 SL1 5spd - DOHC swap and MS in the works
Bought 02/27/14

2000 SL 5spd
Bought 04/05/05
Sold 06/14/10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ajs_saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ajs_saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ajs_saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #14
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

I use RP in my SC2. But I'd skip it on a regular road car. It is expensive and only worth it if you can truely justify the expense. My car spends plenty of time bouncing off the rev limiter and taking over a G of turning force. The oil pan doesn't always have a good supply of oil and the engine is asked a lot from it many times without proper lubracation. That combo is tough on an engine and therefor I like the added security of knowing that the oil is robust. It would be nice to have a dry sump system, but they aren't allowed in my class, so my onlt recourse is to run something I hope will stand up a bit better to abuse.

On a road car though I run any high quality Dino oil.

Irregaurdless of use I always change oil every 3 months or 3K miles.

Even a healthy Saturn will eat a quart or more in 3K miles. Doen't worry about the oil burning unless it is over a quart in 1000 miles. That sounds extreme but That is just the way it is. Check your oil every 3 or 4 fill ups and top it off when needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #15
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Nothing but hype IMO, it's nothing better than M1.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #16
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
so my 3k miles are up but ive been looking alot into royal purple is it all hype? or is it worthe the 20 dollars more for it is ther any other good oils out there?
some people swear by it. it's supposed to be one of the very best. if you're not racing, it's probably not worth it, tho...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:26 PM   #17
Keeter
Keeter is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

I did the Royal Purple auto trany fluid and a new filter. I noticed a big difference in the way my car shifts. while doing a slow start I can't even feel the trany shift, but when I get on it has tight, quick shifts. It was very expensive. $45 for the fluid and $10 for the filter.

That's my opinion,
Keeter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keeter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keeter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeter View Post
I did the Royal Purple auto trany fluid and a new filter. I noticed a big difference in the way my car shifts. while doing a slow start I can't even feel the trany shift, but when I get on it has tight, quick shifts. It was very expensive. $45 for the fluid and $10 for the filter.
What you get with a full synthetic over any of the synthetic blends or plain petroleum base oil is much less carbon formation as it is much harder to oxidize(burn) and as the Saturn engine does not have any oil drain back holes it is a simple task to pack the oil control ring full of carbon and start burning oil. If the OP has just finished an Auto-Rx flush phase the thing to do is find out what his oil consumption looks like while the flush oil is in the engine and then if the Auto-Rx has worked as advertised he can switch to the RP and gain the benefits of that oil. An engine running synthetic oil will have a markedly lower oil temperature when compared to conventional oil also. That also helps it last longer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-30-2008, 06:28 AM   #19
SonnyD
Advanced Member
SonnyD is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

I vowed I wasn't going to enter this thread, but I couldn't
resist. I switched to Royal Purple about 4 years ago in my motorcycles and 99SC1. I've owned my SC1 since new in January 99. I notice little differences and changes in the car, since it's been in my possession for so long. Same way with my bike, I've owned it since new in March of 98. Both vehicles responded well to the RP. My bike a
digital temp guage, and I noticed a 4-5 degree drop in operating temperature, immediately. I assume the car is the same, but no way to tell with it's temp guage. Both vehicles experienced short lived higher idles, till both self adjusted. Again the bike was easier to monitor. Both vehicles also experienced better gas mileage. I'd say both gained around 2mpg, but I can't completely verify this, as being totally accurate. I switched the bike to the Purple at 12,000 miles and the car at 60,000 miles.
My Saturn has never, ever, used any oil, it still doesn't at almost 80,000 miles. I change my oil at 3 month intervals which is usually 15-1700 miles. I measure the oil when I drain it, and I never come up with more then 7 ounces short of what I put in. If I let it drain for an hour, I'd probably get most of that 7 ounces.
I guess I'm one of the lucky group of "non oil burning Saturn owners".
Regards Sonny

I LOVE MY SATURN!!!!
99 SC1 "Marvin"
2007 Harley FLHX "Street Glide"
Fender 50's Strat...The Guitar That Put the "Rock" in Rock&Roll

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonnyD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonnyD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SonnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #20
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Quote:
Are you using synthetic now?

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote