SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2005, 11:42 AM   #1
AbbyNN8
AbbyNN8 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Happy '03 Ion and cold weather

Hello, I just got my '03 Ion and want it to last as long as it possibly can. Any tips to keep it running its best??? (Especially things dealing with winter and cold weather right now) Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AbbyNN8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AbbyNN8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AbbyNN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2005, 11:44 AM   #2
AbbyNN8
AbbyNN8 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: '03 Ion and cold weather

o, 1 other thing... I have a weird hum coming from the back of the car... I think the battery because it will stop every so often and then after I open my car door... this happens especially when it is cold. Is this normal? I'm sure it is and I'm just over-reacting, but I would rather be safe then sorry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AbbyNN8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AbbyNN8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AbbyNN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:33 PM   #3
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyNN8
o, 1 other thing... I have a weird hum coming from the back of the car... I think the battery because it will stop every so often and then after I open my car door... this happens especially when it is cold. Is this normal? I'm sure it is and I'm just over-reacting, but I would rather be safe then sorry.
The hum could be the fuel pump priming. You should hear it too when you turn the key to ON/RUN/whatever it's called on the ION (the position just before START).

As for winter care, frequent car washes (with an under-carriage flush) would be a good idea if they salt as heavily in Ohio as they do in Michigan. Even though the body panels are all polymer, the under-carriage and other components are steel and can rust if that nasty salt is left unabated. Other things to do, are to use the proper weight oil for your engine in the cold months (5W30 probably, some people change to a thicker oil in the summer) and let the car run for a minute or two from a cold start, don't start driving right away (let the oil lubricate things first before putting the spurs to it).

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
PlumSL1
PlumSL1 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

If your car sleeps outside use gas antifreeze at every fill up. It sucks when your car wont start because of frozen gas lines.

NicK
--------------
08 Mazda3
00 Tiburon SE - Sold
96 SL2 - Sold
97 SC2 - Sold
94 SL1 - Driven till death R.I.P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlumSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlumSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlumSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote