SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2015, 08:30 AM   #1
minn505
minn505 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Need to replace wiper blade switch; it started smoking a lot

I have to replace my wiper blades switch piece because it started smoking quite a bit while I was on a long drive. It was smoking a lot about every few minutes, and it eventually started to mess with my other car accessories, including causing my headlights to flicker. I removed the two wiper fuses as a temporary fix, but I'm going to replace the switch with one from a junk yard. The problem is for sure that switch because I've removed the steering column cover and watched smoke come out of both sides of that switch.

Which years of the L series cars can I use to get that switch?

Also, my left turn signal doesn't automatically shut off when I turn my steering wheel back, would replacing the headlight / turn signal switch fix that problem? If so, which years of the L series cars have that same switch?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to minn505's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help minn505 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
minn505 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Need to replace wiper blade switch; it started smoking a lot

This could be more related to your hazard switch that controls turn signals that could be going bad but your turn switch on the steering column if you change that and that disengages your R-L turn then that would be the problem but if you use L-R and there is no indications working that would mean your Hazard switch with is part of the turn signals has failed and needs to be replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
minn505

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I took the two switches off of a 2000 Saturn LS1 for my 01 L200 and that fixed both problems I was having.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help minn505 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
minn505

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Actually, I spoke too soon. Shortly after I replaced my headlight switch, it seemed like I was no longer having the problem where my left turn signal would stay on after turning left until I manually turn off that switch, but I'm having that problem again.

With this problem, the left turn signal stays on after I've turned left unless it's a really quick and sharp turn (such as in an open parking lot). I don't at all have this problem with the right turn signal.

What do you think the problem is with this? This problem was somewhat better for a while after I replaced the signal today, but now the symptoms are the exact same as before, in that it only turns off by itself if it's a really sharp and quick turn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2015, 11:59 PM   #5
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You might want to look at the contacts of the steering wheel side of the wiring to see if there isn't any melted damaged? Otherwise it's best to use a new turn signal device rather then used as this will help eliminate problems a used switch might introduce. As I also said check your hazard switch-before turning either left or right switch on push the hazard in and see both L-R blinks in sync and then release the hazard and test left and right signals and see if goes off. Hopefully all that melting didn't do some other damage that is unforeseen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2015, 06:43 AM   #6
minn505

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

This problem is unrelated to the melting. The smoking was only with the wiper switch and my car has had this turn signal problem since at least early December when I bought it for only $800.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
minn505

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I tried what you said regarding trying it with the hazards lights on but there was no difference. The headlight switch still stays in the "left turn" position after I turn left until I manually move the switch back up to the middle position.

Should I buy a new headlight switch to fix this problem, or should I try something else first?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #8
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn505 View Post
I tried what you said regarding trying it with the hazards lights on but there was no difference. The headlight switch still stays in the "left turn" position after I turn left until I manually move the switch back up to the middle position.

Should I buy a new headlight switch to fix this problem, or should I try something else first?
Well since each of those are on either side could be your turn signal is also going bad if it doesn't disengage when you want it to. See if you can get a used one cheaper to change it out to test first otherwise if not you might have to also get a new turn signal switch as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2015, 06:44 PM   #9
minn505

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's that the switch I got from the junk yard has the same problem, I'll try another switch. Thank you for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2015, 11:16 PM   #10
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

If you are going to the bone yard to get the wiper switch then you should also get the turn signal/headlight stalk and the "SIR" coil (usually called an airbag clock spring at a JY). The cancel lug for the TS is on the clock spring housing and can break off if the signal mechanism gets stiff (I speak from personal experience). Note - replacing the coil requires removing the steering wheel, which requires disconnecting the air bag. There is a very specific procedure for this to avoid having it blow up in your face. Get the proper directions by subscribing to Alldata. I have posted on this in the past so you could try a search.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote