SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
stormtracker
stormtracker is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
Default Now a Saturn owner

Hi all.
Just bought a 93 SL2 DOHC for my wife.
It's got 101K miles and seem to be overall ok except for a few things that I hope to resolve soon with some tips from here.
The exhaust broke at the front of the flex pipe, no heat or AC but the fan works. And a small antifreeze leak from the upper transmission cooler line at the radiator.
I will post more in the appropriate section as I get into it more.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stormtracker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stormtracker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stormtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
clean93
clean93 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Now a Saturn owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtracker View Post
Hi all.
Just bought a 93 SL2 DOHC for my wife.
It's got 101K miles and seem to be overall ok except for a few things that I hope to resolve soon with some tips from here.
The exhaust broke at the front of the flex pipe, no heat or AC but the fan works. And a small antifreeze leak from the upper transmission cooler line at the radiator.
I will post more in the appropriate section as I get into it more.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Welcome, flex pipe broke at 101k? Its 2011 that car is pushing 19 years old...people only drive their cars on average 5300 miles a year? O well you will find out soon enough that our odometers gears go bad and our odometers quit working quite often. Did you get a carfax? Sorry to sound mean but I just dont belive that someone can average 5400 miles per year for 19 years after all that's only like 15 miles per day. Actually the average American drives between 12 and 15k per year and I never believe the little old lady stories.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to clean93's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help clean93 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
clean93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
stormtracker
stormtracker is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

It actually is an "little old lady" story, and that's one reason I bought it.
I usually don't believe stuff like that either, but she is a life long neighbor that I know personally, she's about 70, and the exhaust broke last fall. She stopped driving in December. I put a temporary fix on the exhaust, charged the battery and it starts right up. Runs good, just still a little loud. Testing it out to see if there any other issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stormtracker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stormtracker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stormtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
clean93
clean93 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtracker View Post
It actually is an "little old lady" story, and that's one reason I bought it.
I usually don't believe stuff like that either, but she is a life long neighbor that I know personally, she's about 70, and the exhaust broke last fall. She stopped driving in December. I put a temporary fix on the exhaust, charged the battery and it starts right up. Runs good, just still a little loud. Testing it out to see if there any other issues.
Just make sure no exhaust is leaking into the car. I guess the little old ladies do exist!!Just read the sticky on the Saturn S-Series forum and do everything recommended and you should be ok. I own a green 93 automatic SL2 and a 02 LW300. Find the richpin youtube site and use the search feature on here and you will feel like a real mechanic in no time. The S-series cars are very user friendly. Here is a list of things I have done to mine in the last 5 years and 100k. I got it at 80k five years ago and it now has 180k. Repairs consist of a bad starter replacement thanks to the richpin video, drive belt tensioner went out had to replace, leaky cam cover gasket replaced, seat belt control computer pulled at junk yard for 15 bucks, caliper pin froze when changing brakes and had to steel a caliper from my neighbors parts car, just replaced the motor mount it was the aftermarket Ancor brand but it lasted 100k replaced thanks to richpins video I think thats the only repairs I have done so over all its been a really good car that is easy on the pocket book. Has been getting 28 mpg mixed and upto 34 highway. Next repair will be the odometer gear it went out on me a few weeks back. 30 some oil changes, 3 transmission fluid and filter changes, 1 coolant change, ects, pcv, drive belt, 2 sets of tires, 2 brake jobs, 2 sets of spark plug wires, 4 sets of plugs, 1 tail light bulb, 1 headlight bulb, aftermarket cd player, replaced front speakers...this car was not the little old lady car but was a young couple in Ohio who had an SUV they drove in the winter and this car was always garaged before I got it...I have not been so nice to it. They traded it in at a used car lot my friend owns and I got a call saying I should come take a look at it so I did. I was happy to sign the papers that night for it. A year after I got it some idiot jumped a red light when I had a green turn arrow and clipped the rear bumper cracking my 1/4 panel and putting a nice hole in my bumper. His insurance paid 1600 to fix thanks to the Saturn dealers outrageous repair estimate but it did not affect drivability so I just kept the money and considered it a blessing because I only paid 2k for it when I bought it. 5 trips from dayton ohio to cedar point each year, trip to TN, trip to NJ, trip to Canada, never a problem. In fact I drove non stop from NJ to Dayton which is like 13 hours with no problem at all, seats are actually pretty comfortable for someone who is above average size at 6ft 200lbs like myself. The car has been retired to my wife to drive to and from work. The 02 Saturn LW300 is just a much nicer car to drive.

Last edited by clean93; 06-24-2011 at 12:27 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to clean93's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help clean93 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
clean93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:06 AM   #5
snowball
snowball is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Glad to have you on the site. Heres the list of things I have done to my Saturn. Change oil, change belt and replace brakes. I bought mine new and it has been great. Welcome again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snowball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snowball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I only drive my 93 SW2 5000 or so miles per year. I typically fill my tank once a month. But then, I live in the city and take public transportation to work most days (except when I work nights and weekends). It does happen.

Oh and BTW, welcome, Stormtracker!

Last edited by cityhawk; 06-24-2011 at 07:17 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
macbox
macbox is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1997 SC2

Welcome stormtracker. Stop over at the S-Series forum and check out the New/Returning S-Series owners checklist version 2. You will find all the little maintenance items that need to be done, such as ECTS.

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#5, 1998 SW2m, rebuilt at 126K, Totaled at 205K miles.
#6 1997 SC2a, 179K, Needs a new head.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Congratulations: that's just broken in. Still lots of life left in it.

I bought a 7 year old 1986 Olds Calais that only had 21,000 miles on it from an Olds dealer who had taken it in trade. All verified via the smog check data [every two years in CA]. It does happen.

My folks bought a 4 year old 2002 Focus with 8000 miles on it.

Check Hemmings or Classic Car, they come up all the time. They're called "survivor" cars and there are awards for "most original".

Current issues have featured a 73 Plymouth Barracuda with 45,000 miles with the original owners, a 65 Pontiac Tempest with 26,000 miles, 52 Chrysler with 52,000 miles, 38 Lincoln Zephyr V12 with 26,000, 56 Hudon Hornet, 80,000.

Not restorations, mind you, but lightly driven original cars that have, for one reason or another, not been driven into the ground.

It happens and it's not as uncommon as someone would think.The story of the car is sometimes as interesting as the car itself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:16 AM   #9
Exocet 98
Exocet 98 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Welcome to the forums !!

2002 Z06
2000 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Exocet 98's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Exocet 98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Exocet 98 is offline   Reply With Quote