SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-02-2020, 11:01 PM   #1
uluz2a6
uluz2a6 is a jewel in the roughuluz2a6 is a jewel in the roughuluz2a6 is a jewel in the rough

Default Stall or near stall on deceleration

I am aware of threads that have gone over this issue, but I am at a true loss and before I use the cure-all of gas and a match, I am open to advice.

2002 SC2 120K on vehicle and less than 1500 on a full rebuilt engine.

I personally rebuilt the engine and it was perfect after re-installation. Then a fuel pump quit. It was replaced as well as the filter/ regulator. Wix for filter and Autozone for the pump.

Fuel pressure does not dip when stall or near stall condition occurs.

Throttle body was cleaned well at time of rebuild and recently inspected and is still clean.

EGR valve is clean

Replaced IAC motor, no change.

At first when this condition presented it would set MIL P1599 for a near stall condition, but in last 5 weeks it doesn't set that code and condition seems same.

Recently a P0442 code showed up, I have not addressed it yet as it isn't the big issue.

The reason I replaced the IAC motor is because when I commanded it to close or open more with my scanner, it would always increase the idle by 250 RPM. Replacing the IAC had no change on this phenomenon so I swapped out the ECM with one from a good running SL2. Both the condition of near stall and increase only on IAC test persisted.

Other than the near stall condition, the car runs very well. Idles well. Starts well. Accelerates well.

It did this before the fuel pump quit so obviously the easy culprit was a failing pump. I don't like throwing parts at cars to solve issues, so any advice is welcome.
uluz2a6 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2020, 12:01 AM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Stall or near stall on deceleration

I sounds like there is bad wiring/connectors between the IAC and PCM. Easiest first step would be to disconnect the PCM connector and check resistance, for each coil/phase, back through the wiring and IAC motor. You should get about 55 ohms, and be sure the two phases are not shorted to each other or ground.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:25 AM   #3
bluesl2
Master Member
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Check for vacuum leaks. May or may not be related to po442 code.
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:29 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

What are cold engine and warm engine idle rpm?
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:10 AM   #5
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

Spark test your coils. Replace the spark plug wires if they have any age on them at all.

Has always worked when mine does that.

Highmile
'95 SL1 719k and counting
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:05 PM   #6
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Remove the IAC valve and verify it only moves one direction when you command it from the scanner (commanding either direction). I assumed that is the case since the idle only increases, but let's check...
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #7
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Lots of good suggestions, but I want to add one.

A clean EGR doesn't ensure function. Doing a block is free, fairly quick and easy. Probably worth a try.
Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote