SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
Milly
Milly is on a distinguished road

Default Timing chain on 2009 Astra XE

Hey Saturn lovers!

I am thinking of buying a 2009 Saturn Astra XE and I read that the model does not have a timing belt but a timing chain. Is it true that the chain (if the oil is changed regularly) does not need to be changed?

What is your experience with the timing chain? Did you have to change it or not? Approximate cost of changing it?

Thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Milly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Milly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Milly is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enoughAstraFasta will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Timing chain on 2009 Astra XE

Search the threads here m8. Fake news!

Timing belt needs to be changed from time to time. If you have no written proof that it was changed, then 10 years is more than long enough to require immediate change as the rubber degrades with use and with time. While at it a few of the pulleys should be changed at the same time.

You can leave it but failure will likely destroy the engine and leave you on the road with a sudden loss of power.

I did it DIY for less than $100 but used a lot of my friend's tools. There are plenty of guides here to help you.

Shop might charge you a bit more. In my area probably closer to $1000.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #3
Milly
Milly is on a distinguished road

Thank you AstraFasta!

Are you sure that you are talking about the timing chain? Two people have now told me that this model has a chain instead of a timing belt ...

I appreciate your replies

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Milly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Milly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Milly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

PLEASE take 5 minutes and follow the suggestion to search "timing belt."

Anyone telling you these cars have a timing chain vs. belt is delusional and has no experience with this model car, none whatsoever.

Chrissakes, the man just told you he changed his TIMING BELT.

The above exasperation is done only to protect you from not knowing what you are buying.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #5
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enoughAstraFasta will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly View Post
Are you sure...?
I am sure

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote