SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2
Default windshield and rear window upper molding

Anyone got a source for the plastic molding along the roof edge of the windshield and rear glass? The ones on my car are cracking and kinda ratty. I'd like to replace them if I can find a source. Perhaps I should just get to a body shop supply house and bring one with me. hmmm

Best,

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: windshield and rear window upper molding

21170576 97-02 front trim to fit
21170089 96-02 rear

Might be a generic item. GM Parts Direct shows the front for 13.56 and the rear 14.80

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:10 AM   #3
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

Thanks for the part number. Pretty much every online GM parts dealer wants anywhere from $13-22 for the part and then another $12-16 to ship. LOL

Best,

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Shipping will not be coming down until there is some reasonable belief that fuel prices will come down and stay down. Many state legislatures are looking at lower fuel prices as an excuse to raise taxes on fuel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
21170576 97-02 front trim to fit
21170089 96-02 rear

Might be a generic item. GM Parts Direct shows the front for 13.56 and the rear 14.80
I believe you have to remove the glass to install the O.E. reveal molding.
The front molding has a flat wire in it.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 12 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I just looked up part numbers, not how to install it, no idea as to what kind of a greased pig contest installation might be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2015, 10:25 AM   #7
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

My 92 SL1 rear window has the hard plastic trim. It has rotted away. I asked a glass company , and they said it only comes with the glass. Maybe they were just trying to sell me a new glass?

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

My guess is that it fits over the edge of the glass. Might be possible to buy the piece and modify it so that it may be mounted using a high end polly sealant/adhesive, something such as POR-patch from POR-15. A quick trip to the JY to look at a broke one on any 91-94 should provide that answer and suggest a replacement method.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #9
VUEmaniac

1997 SC2

Think I might just order something closely resembling it from JC Whitney or other outfit. Then I'll seal the top with my usual roof flashing goo and apply the molding. As long as it doesn't leak and is more aesthetically pleasing than the cracked/broken original piece, I'm happy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
Upstate Saturn
Upstate Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutUpstate Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutUpstate Saturn has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2

I noticed mine are looking a bit rough, too, although not cracked (yet!). Has anyone had any luck using this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/MOTHERS-Back-B...gy_auto_text_y

Also, if you get a new windshield, do they replace the molding or only (try to) reuse the old ones?

Maybe an auto glass place would be a good supply source...

2001 SL2 manual - original owner - remanufactured engine at 228k miles, December 2015
1992 SL1 - bought used in '93, totaled in '00 at 170k miles, drove it cross-country a lot!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Upstate Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Upstate Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Upstate Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:46 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The Back To Black probably works fine. The window trim is a different issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2015, 06:34 PM   #12
VUEmaniac

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Saturn View Post
I noticed mine are looking a bit rough, too, although not cracked (yet!). Has anyone had any luck using this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/MOTHERS-Back-B...gy_auto_text_y

Also, if you get a new windshield, do they replace the molding or only (try to) reuse the old ones?

Maybe an auto glass place would be a good supply source...
It works great on trim that has greyed out from UV exposure. It won't do anything for cracked/rotten plastic that's far gone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2015, 10:40 PM   #13
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

The 2015 BTB glass tools catalog arrived today. Some of these moldings might be handy for glass already on the car. T110 looks like it could work for the rear glass:
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps52tzqzsv.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #14
VUEmaniac

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
The 2015 BTB glass tools catalog arrived today. Some of these moldings might be handy for glass already on the car. T110 looks like it could work for the rear glass:
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps52tzqzsv.jpg
Agreed. That looks ideal. Seems to only be sold in rolls of 75'. Anyone else need some and want to throw in together?

Best,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #15
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

For length purposes:
I have a new 21170089 '96-'02 (rear window) and it is 52.5-inches long as measured with it laying along a straight-edge.
I'm not sure about stretch during installation. There is no wire in 21170089.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2015, 08:32 AM   #16
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
I'm not sure about stretch during installation. There is no wire in 21170089.
^^^^FALSE.

Correction: There is a flat wire in 21170089 (rear molding)
Here is a picture of the O.E. 21170089 '96-'02 (rear window)
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps1rih7ibg.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #17
VUEmaniac

1997 SC2

For clarity...my goal would be to simply yank out the existing molding and install new molding (not the glass) only with the help of a little adhesive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Bumpdraft may have a solution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #19
VUEmaniac

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Bumpdraft may have a solution.
Yes, he also sent that to me by PM. Seems ideal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!