SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
TrentinoAndre
TrentinoAndre is on a distinguished road

Default Valve body and input shaft nut

I'm having the dreaded reverse slam and the problem with the slipping/jerking forward gears. After reading through these forums I think I need a new valve body and I need to tighten the input shaft nut.

Where should I try to find/buy one that is trustworthy? The site (carsaturnstore) sells a transmission repair kit (can't post url since this is my first post) and it makes it sound like I should be wary buying it any other place, but I wasn't sure why. I see them on ebay for a broad range of prices and was just worried about being ripped off.

What do you all think?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TrentinoAndre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TrentinoAndre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TrentinoAndre is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
gruelens
gruelens has a spectacular aura aboutgruelens has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
Default Re: Valve body and input shaft nut

I had a very positive experience with ebay seller "dink2954". A couple of months ago I purchased a valve body from him on ebay. Quick shipping, fair price, money back garantee, and he bought my old valve body. In addition, I had two phone conversations with Ken, ( dink2954). He gave me a lot of his time and good info. I would certainly not hesitate to recommend dink2954 on ebay. All the best to you.
George
'99 SL2
(disclaimer: no affiliation, just happy with a good old fashion fair deal)

======================

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentinoAndre View Post
I'm having the dreaded reverse slam and the problem with the slipping/jerking forward gears. After reading through these forums I think I need a new valve body and I need to tighten the input shaft nut.

Where should I try to find/buy one that is trustworthy? The site (carsaturnstore) sells a transmission repair kit (can't post url since this is my first post) and it makes it sound like I should be wary buying it any other place, but I wasn't sure why. I see them on ebay for a broad range of prices and was just worried about being ripped off.

What do you all think?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gruelens's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gruelens reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
You don't want to "tighten" your old nut . . .

“NOTICE: Use a new nut due to insufficient torque retention of old nut. Clean shaft threads with wire brush. When tightening and torquing this nut it must be done quickly. The thread locking material used on the new nut will cure in a short time resulting in incorrect torque."

And to do the job right, you should use a Clutch Holding Tool. You can get everything here . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/classified...t/3767/cat/500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
TrentinoAndre

Do you really need a clutch holding tool? It wasn't mentioned in this thread.

"15. Use the 23mm socket and torque the input shaft nut to 111 lbs. You can immobilize the shaft by sticking a phillips screwdriver into one of the holes on the side of the 1st gear clutch pack and wedging it against the output shaft gear."

I like that guy sells it all as a kit for convenience, but maybe he can just take the clutch holding tool out if the using a screwdriver works...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TrentinoAndre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
TrentinoAndre

Also, I have the part number for the input shaft nut (#21001680) and gasket (#21001684). Is there a part number for the output shaft nut?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Do you really need a clutch holding tool? It wasn't mentioned in this thread.
Some folks have had success jerry rigging something - and some folks have distorted the Clutch Pack Drum which leads to more problems.

Quote:
Is there a part number for the output shaft nut?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2014, 02:41 AM   #7
whitesl2much
whitesl2much has a spectacular aura aboutwhitesl2much has a spectacular aura aboutwhitesl2much has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SL2

I had my transmission rebuilt about a year ago, then last week it did a reverse slam in the morning, 100 miles later it spilled its blood all over the freeway and now it needs another rebuild according to the shop. <metal in filter>
against my better judgement i'm gonna let the same shop rebuild it, but I wanted to give him the input and output shaft nuts with threadlock on it to prevent this from happening again. I just don't know where to buy them.. not on saturnparts.com or .net.... any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whitesl2much's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whitesl2much reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whitesl2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #8
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

You say it spilled its blood on the freeway, was it the diff pin?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesl2much View Post
I just don't know where to buy them.. not on saturnparts.com or .net.... any ideas?
It was probably your Diff Pin that let loose if you spilled your ATF all of a sudden, not a Input Shaft Nut problem. But to answer your question, this $80 Kit has everything for the ISN job . . .
http://www.ebay.com/sch/impactproducts/m.html

Or http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

End Cover Gasket – 21001684
Input shaft nut – 21001680
Output shaft nut – 21001679

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #10
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Aside from the diff pin issue, I wouldn't trust a shop to rebuild a trans that couldn't get those nuts for you, along with the other parts/seals needed for the rebuild. There should be no need for you to chase down the nuts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #11
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

^+1 a very good point!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2014, 02:14 AM   #12
whitesl2much
whitesl2much has a spectacular aura aboutwhitesl2much has a spectacular aura aboutwhitesl2much has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
You say it spilled its blood on the freeway, was it the diff pin?
forgive my lack of knowledge, I'm enjoying wrenching on these things, but don't exactly know what i'm doing lol

I just pulled the engine and trans today, I can see the diff pin when I look through where the cv axles connect, it looks well... like it's there.
not sure what a launched dif. pin looks like.

The shop had told me the fluid came from the filter, and that I toasted it by driving for a few miles with no fluid. it seemed to me like the transmission was overheating. I pulled over to check the fluid level and it was fine, but I lost reverse, since it was still driving forward, I tried to make it home the last 20 miles, <terrible idea> but shortly thereafter I saw smoke in my rearview, and by the time I got to the shoulder no more forward and fluid all over my nice clean engine bay.

the codes I pulled after the blood spill were:
transmission torque converter lock up
1st gear incorrect ratio
2nd gear incorrect ratio
3rd gear incorrect ratio
4th gear incorrect ratio

thanks for the links, i'll check it out.
I paid 1000 for the rebuild the first time.
this time he said only 600 <think he realizes it should have lasted longer>
these are the prices for a bench rebuild. <I bring it in and install myself>

I agree the shop should know whats up with this transmission, but valvebody is all he seems to think is a problem with this transmission, contrary to what I've read on this great forum. I think the only real reason I want him to do it again is
to find out what happened, and because he's 3times cheaper than everyone else, perhaps i'm getting what I pay for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help whitesl2much reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #13
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

This is a pretty confusing story.

Quote:
I just pulled the engine and trans today, I can see the diff pin when I look through where the cv axles connect, it looks well... like it's there.
not sure what a launched dif. pin looks like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gqhGC5vKDY

Quote:
The shop had told me the fluid came from the filter, and that I toasted it by driving for a few miles with no fluid.
Was the Filter loose? Any obvious Gasket damage?

Quote:
1st gear incorrect ratio
2nd gear incorrect ratio
3rd gear incorrect ratio
4th gear incorrect ratio
These Codes would be caused by low fluid as the Clutches would be slipping.

Quote:
I agree the shop should know whats up with this transmission, but valvebody is all he seems to think is a problem with this transmission, contrary to what I've read on this great forum.
There is nothing that can go wrong with a VB to cause a massive fluid loss.
If the shop said the Filter leaked, why are they prescribing a VB fix?

Quote:
perhaps i'm getting what I pay for.
You might be right about that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #14
whitesl2much

1999 SL2
1998 SL2

I agree, super confusing, moved my thread to reverse slam when hot.

fluid shot out of filter, not leaked. its all back together though, just afraid to
drive it 'til I can fix reverse slam when hot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #15
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Just curious, did the low coolant come on solid at any point before it failed? Supposedly they stay on solid to signify the trans is overheating.

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote