SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
mpit91
mpit91 is on a distinguished road

Default QUICK QUESTION... Symptoms of bad TPS?

Quick question here. Can I get some symptoms of a bad or failing throttle position sensor?

Im having downshift issues when the engine/trans gets hot and i am braking to a stop. By this, i mean that the car doesnt want cycle down the gears like it is supposed to. I think it is staying in 2nd or something.

To avoid this problem, I put the car in neutral when braking and coming to a stop light. The RPMs stay at around 2 until i come to a full and complete stop and then the car decides to idle very normally, right at 750.

Reason I suspect the TPS is because I installed a new one, (not sure if the old one was bad) and apparently there is a learning process. I tried resetting the PCM with the battery disconnected for 10 mins, but it didnt fix the problem above.

I dont think its the IAC valve because i just cleaned away all the carbon buildup in the throttle body which made the car idle better.

Any insight would be appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mpit91's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mpit91 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mpit91 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: QUICK QUESTION... Symptoms of bad TPS?

There is no learning process for the TPS. The curve in most if not all of the available TPS sensors may very well be incorrect for an automatic as that sensor controls part of the shifting program.

What brand TPS did you get?

You need to list the year, and model of your car in your profile if you want any useful information.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpit91 View Post
Quick question here. Can I get some symptoms of a bad or failing throttle position sensor?

Any insight would be appreciated!
The easiest TPS test is to turn the car off when it is idling high, then turn it right back on. If the TPS idles normally when turned right back on, it is your problem - or at least one of them.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:31 PM   #4
Tyler12189
Tyler12189 is just really niceTyler12189 is just really niceTyler12189 is just really niceTyler12189 is just really nice

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post
The easiest TPS test is to turn the car off when it is idling high, then turn it right back on. If the TPS idles normally when turned right back on, it is your problem - or at least one of them.
I have a manual but oldnuc helped me pinpoint my problem and it wasn't the tps so much as the wires had crimp connectors on them from being replaced in the past and as soon as I had the wires soldiered it never came back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tyler12189's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tyler12189 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tyler12189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:39 PM   #5
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler12189 View Post
I have a manual but oldnuc helped me pinpoint my problem and it wasn't the tps so much as the wires had crimp connectors on them from being replaced in the past and as soon as I had the wires soldiered it never came back.
Yes, it could be any of many things, but I gave the EASIEST test to the TPS - you can move on to more elaborate tests if the easier ones don't work. The guy was looking for opinions - I'm sure he wants as many as he can get. Not just one.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:36 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The key OFF then back to ON is only testing for the TPS caused high idle while stopped. The issue described by the OP is transmission shift point related which is not gong to be located by the easy TPS test.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote