SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #141
shavelieva
shavelieva is on a distinguished road

Default Re: S-Series Swap Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
Put the '99 head on the '01 block. Compression will decrease with the SOHC pistons. Then put the now good engine into the '99. Use your current PCM. Use your current Flexplate from the '99 engine. Use your '99 harness and sensors.

A '93-'02 block (sohc or dohc) will work for you. You will need to look into the knock sensor location as the 3rd gen block has a different style. IIRC it can accept the older style (your '99).

Standard transmission = 5 speed manual shifting transmission
You Sir are awesome!

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300402376939&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2701wt_988

I bought that $300 free shipping and handling 2000 SOHC with something like 48k on it!

ordered it on Tuesday, the guy shipped on Wednesday and i picked it up on Saturday at our local ups freight! I yanked the DOHC with transmission over Fri-Sat and stripped it down on Sunday and found the culprit to be a shattered piston ring and a #2 piston moving very difficultly.

The DOHC head is dirty, one of the #2 exhaust ports was so clogged I could barely fit my pinky in. Definitely going to be doing some cleaning. Any gaskets I should definitely replace? I know the air intake manifold is paper and mine fell apart.

As far as the chain tensioner goes what kind of gasket sealant should be used? I know i should let the sealant to skin prior to application but what kind? what about around the block and head and the head and manifold(top and air) and the exhaust manifold? I have a good set of exhaust gaskets.

my 99' DOHC cams kinda don't look good either, chain is perfect link for link, but the exhaust teeth are sharp, and not quite as wide as the intake's teeth. Should I replace them? What years can I replace them with? Would it be OK to buy used?

While I have the transmission I'm going to go head and tighten he bolt that affects the reverse lag.

Any other recommendations while I have the blocks split?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shavelieva's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shavelieva reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shavelieva is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #142
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavelieva View Post
Any gaskets I should definitely replace? I know the air intake manifold is paper and mine fell apart.

As far as the chain tensioner goes what kind of gasket sealant should be used? I know i should let the sealant to skin prior to application but what kind? what about around the block and head and the head and manifold(top and air) and the exhaust manifold? I have a good set of exhaust gaskets.

my 99' DOHC cams kinda don't look good either, chain is perfect link for link, but the exhaust teeth are sharp, and not quite as wide as the intake's teeth. Should I replace them? What years can I replace them with? Would it be OK to buy used?

While I have the transmission I'm going to go head and tighten he bolt that affects the reverse lag.

Any other recommendations while I have the blocks split?
Start a new thread for these questions

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #143
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Air Conditioners

'95 - Model DKV - 11A

'97 - Model DCV - 11A

'98 - '99b - Model DCV - 11G

'01- '02 - Model DCV - 11J

Identification
You can figure out the model of the compressor by looking at the pulley and the connector position/location.

Known Compatibility
'01 with 11G - Leaks slightly, but an annual DIY charge is all that is needed

I cannot comment on any other years since I do not have those cars.
The short answer is match refrigerant type R-12/R-134a and clutch design, just match the connector and refrigerant type. Then verify the high and low side lines connect in the same way and at the same place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #144
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Intake manifolds and fuel delivery:
91-94 Intake manifolds interchange.
95-98 Intake manifolds interchange.
99-2k Intake manifolds interchange.

91-94 Throttle bodies interchange.
95-98 Throttle bodies interchange.
99-2k Throttle bodies interchange.
Can anyone tell me if the intake manifold and throttle body changed significantly in 2001? I am trying to put a 01 motor in a 99 and the swap guide appears to be silent on this. It seems that the data ends with the 2k in this area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #145
papa bulldog
papa bulldog is on a distinguished road

New to the forum. My wife's 1999 SC2 1.9l w/DOHC has shucked a rod. I have found a good 1.9l DOHC out of a 2002 what would be the difference if any? I have been told it wont work and I have been told that a 99-02 swap would just be plug and play. Any help here would be great. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to papa bulldog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help papa bulldog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
papa bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:42 AM   #146
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

To answer both previous questions (since multi-quote doesn't seem to work) I'm almost certain there are pretty much no significant changes under the hood from 99-2002. I think that's what the interchange earlier was referring to since it left 2K1 and 2K2 out and just put 2K. I'm not 100% on that, but I think that is right.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:23 AM   #147
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

I am pretty certain that the exhaust ports and manifold had a major change from the 99 to the 01. I am not sure what the 00 heads look like. I will post pitures in a few days when I pull the 99 motor out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #148
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
I am pretty certain that the exhaust ports and manifold had a major change from the 99 to the 01. I am not sure what the 00 heads look like. I will post pitures in a few days when I pull the 99 motor out.
I think you're right. I'm so out of practice with my Saturn knowledge.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #149
caveeagle

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Details on the SOHC Head change from '99 and earlier and '00-'02.

Air pump system is piped into the exhaust manifold and directly in to each of the 4 ehaust ports.
'99 Ex ports.

Pic of an '00 - '02 Exaust port.

Here are both Exhaust manifolds side by side.

'99 Gasket:

And the '00 to '02 gasket:

Is has occured to me that not all of the '00 to '02 sohc motors necissarily had the air pump system added. All that I have fond so far do. And Rockauto only shows the one Exhaust manifold gasket for '00 to '02.

I will probably try to use the '99 manifold (and gasket) on my '01 motor and see if it runs well enough. I am pretty sure that it would not work well to try the reverse swap. A large port <99 head would not flow well into a '00+ manifold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #150
lightwing1
lightwing1 is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2

Looking to tighten up the suspension on my wife's 91 SL2, and I found out that it's not so easy to find bushings for the rear links. saturnparts.net lists parts claiming they fit 91-95, but the parts guy at the local caddy dealer(they have taken over Saturn parts sales) claims that there was something unique about the 91 rear suspension and the parts won't interchange.

I'm starting a new thread with more questions, but I'm also posting here in hopes that someone who has BTDT can answer definitively whether the lateral links and trailing links for 91-95 will interchange.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lightwing1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lightwing1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lightwing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #151
StarLady
Advanced Member
StarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really nice

1992 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUERAM View Post
I have a 93' SC2 and need a new ignition control module, Does anyone know what years will work? I have searched this forum but have not found this info, sorry if I missed it and thank you for such a good resource.
Quote:
'92-'95
I thought it was '91 <--> '92
and '93 <--> '95

1992 SC - TwinCam (Automagic)
Bought it brand new, and still loving it today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StarLady's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StarLady reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StarLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #152
02SC2_
02SC2_ is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2005 ION-1 Sedan

Hey guys,

Ive been doing some interior work on my 02 SC2. I had two questions about interior swaps.
1. Is the SC steering wheel swappable with any other models? I'm preferably looking to upgrade to something a bit newer.

2. Also wondering if the temperature cluster is swappable with any of the newer GM cars.

Any help or direction is much appreciated,

Kendall

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02SC2_'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02SC2_ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02SC2_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #153
W.P._Turbocars
W.P._Turbocars is on a distinguished road

I am a little unclear on the EGR ports on my 2 saturns 1 is a 92 sl2, the other a 97 sc2) The engine in the 97 is toast so I am pulling the 92 engine to drpo in the 97. I know the manifolds are different but will the newer egr valve bolt to the older mount? If I have to modify it a little I can no biggie but the car is about 40 minutes away and I wont be able to get to it for a few days. Just wondering do I know before I order an EGR gasket for either year.

Thanks guys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to W.P._Turbocars's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help W.P._Turbocars reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
W.P._Turbocars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #154
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02SC2_ View Post
1. Is the SC steering wheel swappable with any other models? I'm preferably looking to upgrade to something a bit newer.
It's swappable with all other models; there was no difference wrt. body style. But there's nothing newer, as 2002 was the last year for the S-Series.

Quote:
2. Also wondering if the temperature cluster is swappable with any of the newer GM cars.
Search the S-Series sections (General, Tech, Mods) for "VUE cluster"; supposedly some years of VUE cluster fit the later S-Series, but it may require some reconfiguration of the connector pinouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.P._Turbocars View Post
I am a little unclear on the EGR ports on my 2 saturns 1 is a 92 sl2, the other a 97 sc2) The engine in the 97 is toast so I am pulling the 92 engine to drpo in the 97. I know the manifolds are different but will the newer egr valve bolt to the older mount? If I have to modify it a little I can no biggie but the car is about 40 minutes away and I wont be able to get to it for a few days. Just wondering do I know before I order an EGR gasket for either year.

Thanks guys.
The electric EGR valve will only bolt to the '92 engine with an adapter that was used on the '94 California cars. Member Low Saturn collects them from junkyards and sells them here on SF. But it would be in vain, as the crankshaft on the '92 engine has different timing on the reluctor for the crank position sensor, and it will never run right in a car later than '92. You'd have to open up the engine and install a crankshaft from a '93-up engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #155
ChevyPower
ChevyPower is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1
1999 SC1
Dizzy Re: S-Series Swap Guide

I got a 2001 Sc1 5spd and want to go from sohc to dohc i have a 1997 dohc complete motor here, but the bottom end is messed head was redone and brand new timing chain and gears what is the best way to swap head and what is all involved? i also want to put a Turbo on later on down the road. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChevyPower's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChevyPower reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChevyPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #156
Orion FE
Orion FE is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

To start with, you'll need the intake, exhaust, ECM, etc. There's a lot that feeds the ECM on the newer models so you may run into issues there as well. I'm not real sure the 97 head will work with a 2001 block though. They changed the pistons in 2000 and I believe they're higher compression pistons, which means the combustion chamber may not be suitable on an older head. Personally, the swap isn't worth it to me. I would stay factory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Orion FE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Orion FE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Orion FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #157
ChevyPower
ChevyPower is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1
1999 SC1

why do you have to change the ecm when changing the head?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChevyPower's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChevyPower reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChevyPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #158
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyPower View Post
why do you have to change the ecm when changing the head?
Because the PCM from a SOHC equipped car has programming on how to properly run a SOHC engine. The PCM from a DOHC has the programming on how to properly run a DOHC engine. SOHC and DOHC heads are different.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #159
Orion FE

1998 SC2
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Exactly! The ECM for a SOHC vs a DOHC will not work simply because the ECM takes readings from the cam position sensor and for a SOHC, they're different than a DOHC. It might work but your engine wouldn't have it's full potential power because of the timing being retarded or advanced too much to run normal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Orion FE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #160
Orion FE

1998 SC2
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I would try and find a donor car if I was going to switch from a SOHC to a DOHC, due to all the sensors and electronics that changed in 2000. If you want to change it to a DOHC car, try to locate the newer head, especially having the newer block and piston style. It'll save you some heartache but you would still need the ECM/PCM for a DOHC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!