SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
richamer1
richamer1 is on a distinguished road

Default Swap guide

I checked the swap guide it did not state SOHC or DOHC. I need to put a engine in my 92 SC DOHC it appears that it needs to be a 91 or 92 . Can I use a SOHC engine without any mods ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richamer1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richamer1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Re: Swap guide

You should be able to use an SOHC. What's the problem with the current engine? I got your PM about the 91 DOHC my brother has for sale. The 91's had a different mounting scheme than all the other model years. You could probably make it work by changing the timing cover.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I've seen a very few posts that mention that there is a way to adapt the '91 to the TAM system even in a '91. I don't know anything about it though.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

For what a '92 is worth, and for the cost/effort required to _downgrade_ to an SOHC (those coupes never end got an SOHC), you'd be better off just buying another old Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
richamer1
richamer1 is on a distinguished road

Well I thought the problem was just the timing chain. But last night with the timing chain removed I tried to line up the crank and cams. When I turn the crank it makes a sudden stop just before 12:00. No matter what posistion the cams are in. That led me to believe that i needed much more than a timing chain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle1 View Post
You should be able to use an SOHC. What's the problem with the current engine? I got your PM about the 91 DOHC my brother has for sale. The 91's had a different mounting scheme than all the other model years. You could probably make it work by changing the timing cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richamer1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richamer1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richamer1 View Post
I checked the swap guide it did not state SOHC or DOHC. I need to put a engine in my 92 SC DOHC it appears that it needs to be a 91 or 92 . Can I use a SOHC engine without any mods ?
For what it would probably cost you in parts to do this, it would be easier to just buy a used 1991 or 1992 engine. But finding one in good condition is about a likely as winning the lottery.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #7
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richamer1 View Post
Well I thought the problem was just the timing chain. But last night with the timing chain removed I tried to line up the crank and cams. When I turn the crank it makes a sudden stop just before 12:00. No matter what posistion the cams are in. That led me to believe that i needed much more than a timing chain.
Be careful about turning the crankshaft with the timing chain off. This is an interferance engine which means the valves and pistons will collide if the valves are open when the pistons come up to top center. There is very little chance there is a cam position where there is not at least one or two valves open to some degree.

Normally when doing engine work, the engine is positioned with the #1 cyl at top center prior to removing the timing chain. When reassembling, if you have to move somthing, you take the crank off top center by rotating it 90 deg, clockwise as facing the crank pulley. This will take all the pistons that are up, down. You then can safely rotate the cam(s) to the position relative to top center #1. You then can rotate the crank BACK (counter clockwise) to the top center position.

BUT if you rotate the crank through a full 360 degrees with no timing chain, you can be assured you will hit a valve or two in the process. The only way you can safely rotate the crank a full 360 degrees is to either have the head off or the cam(s) off the head so as all the valves are closed.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

Low Saturn,

What do you have to do to put a 91 engine in a 92? Change the timing cover? Is there anything else?

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle1 View Post
Low Saturn,

What do you have to do to put a 91 engine in a 92? Change the timing cover? Is there anything else?
yeah, just swap out the cover.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote