SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2019, 09:38 PM   #1
SuperCookie
SuperCookie is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default Do think my crazy plan could work?

I have a list of all of the ideas i come up with for cars and car companies (yes i dream big) and one of my ideas is a lw300 sleeper. My idea was to convert it to AWD with a chevy 4.3L v6, a small turbo (max SAE gross 350hp and lbf) and a modern automatic transmission. Do you think given enough money this could be done and still be driven comfortably. the L series wasn't designed to have a driveshaft and a center diff, so the interior in my mind might not be able to be conformable with modification to the floor plan that could fit these things. Do you thing i could pull it off given enough money?

2001 Yellow Special edition SC2 (not the bumble bee)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperCookie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperCookie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
02 LW300
02 LW300 is just really nice02 LW300 is just really nice02 LW300 is just really nice02 LW300 is just really nice

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Do think my crazy plan could work?

Just skin the car and use the blazer frame and floor boards.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:00 PM   #3
SuperCookie

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
Just skin the car and use the blazer frame and floor boards.
i could do that but that would mean 4wd. and you can't drive that on the road

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SuperCookie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2019, 12:20 AM   #4
02 LW300
02 LW300 is just really nice02 LW300 is just really nice02 LW300 is just really nice02 LW300 is just really nice

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

When you said AWD that is what I thought you meant. Stick it on an s10 frame and go play drift car then. Just use the shell and it would be stiff and light and fun.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #5
SuperCookie

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
When you said AWD that is what I thought you meant. Stick it on an s10 frame and go play drift car then. Just use the shell and it would be stiff and light and fun.
The olds bravada used an AWD system and a 4.3l v6 with the balance shafts. i think swapong in the power train be the best way to do it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCookie View Post
I have a list of all of the ideas i come up with for cars and car companies (yes i dream big) and one of my ideas is a lw300 sleeper. My idea was to convert it to AWD with a chevy 4.3L v6, a small turbo (max SAE gross 350hp and lbf) and a modern automatic transmission. Do you think given enough money this could be done and still be driven comfortably. the L series wasn't designed to have a driveshaft and a center diff, so the interior in my mind might not be able to be conformable with modification to the floor plan that could fit these things. Do you thing i could pull it off given enough money?
Anything can be done....... with money. Any thought exercise is easy. Translating ideas into reality takes some serious thoughts on yanking existing drive train components then shoe horning in your drive train of choice with an experienced person(s) able to make things fit. Adding to the complexity of attempting to replace front wheel drive for all wheel drive, you're creating additional problems attempting to add turbo charging. Anyone without a clue about super or turbo charging simply blows up their pet project without any serious research on the subtle differences between conventional EFI systems and EFI systems with boost. Adding a super or turbo charger is just not that simple. The secrets are not secrets and well known, just not brought out in plain layman's terms for everyone to understand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #7
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Just go buy a BMW M5M instead. What your trying to do isn't worth the cost/labor even if it's a pet project. That dream is long gone. The age of the Saturn is more beneficial for a everyday driver not a StreetRacer. The plan isn't crazy it's just plain lack of common sense here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

As noted by fdryer, "Anything can be done....... with money." Based on your OP you're already are aware of the problems presented by attempting such a conversion relating to the powertrain, chassis, and floor pan (let alone major wiring changes and possible smog law concerns [depending upon which state you reside in]). With all of that in mind this is a pipe dream, a fun pipe dream, but a pipe dream nevertheless. Please don't stop "dreaming big," but consider a better dream.

You're certainly correct in recognizing the "sleeper" aspect of the L-Series cars with the V-6s. Some members here who own those cars have appreciated that and written some posts about surprising BMW owners who think they're going to leave this "unknown" car in the dust only to be left there themselves.

311,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 03-12-2019 at 08:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote