SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #5941
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
I'm hoping B12 Chemtool works for me.

Any reason in particular you're using a Ford filter? I know it's probably a contract build, and they have filters for lots of non-Ford vehicles, but it still seems weird to me, to put a Ford part on a GM.
Though it wasn't today, I used B12 followed by MMO.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237152

Just make sure to use something to lube the cylinders after the B12. That stuff has no film strength at all. Since I used the B12 first, I can't say how much better or worse than MMO it might be for loosening up carbon, but it did a good job.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #5942
454cid
454cid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
Just make sure to use something to lube the cylinders after the B12. That stuff has no film strength at all. Since I used the B12 first, I can't say how much better or worse than MMO it might be for loosening up carbon, but it did a good job.
Yes, I'll definitely put something in the cylinders before turning the engine over. Originally I planned on using MMO, but I've got some spray stuff, that might be easier. It's kind of a thick product for a spray, and I don't particularly like it other purposes.

If I use MMO, it'll have a little 2-stroke oil in it.... I'll use my mixing syringe

2000 SL2 Automatic (not back on the road yet)
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:05 AM   #5943
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

B12 has a good reputation as a ring cleaner as long as the condition has not reached the terminal stage where the cylinder and rings have worn out of spec. It is about all there is for a DIY quick fix that is readily available.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #5944
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Yes, I'll definitely put something in the cylinders before turning the engine over. Originally I planned on using MMO, but I've got some spray stuff, that might be easier. It's kind of a thick product for a spray, and I don't particularly like it other purposes.

If I use MMO, it'll have a little 2-stroke oil in it.... I'll use my mixing syringe
If you have a decent sized syringe, you can use that to vacuum out as much of (whatever you put in) from the cylinders before cranking. Just put a piece of small fuel line or vacuum hose on the end and get it out.

I did that followed by compressed air vacuum rig before cranking mine over after the soak, and got very minimal smoke show. It actually started as quick as usual with just a puff of smoke, then a bit more as it came up to temp.

With a syringe you could get a lot of carbon off the tops of the pistons before cranking, and the MMO worked great for that. I used a squeeze bottle (think cafe ketchup squirter) so the vacuum to pull stuff out was limited. Had I used a syringe I think I could have gotten a better flush from all the stuff on top of the pistons.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #5945
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

In "Geniune GM Parts" fashion, I got a damn "Service Engine Soon" light on my way to work.

Time to scan it and find out which "Pride of Delphi" electrical component is malfunctioned..........

Ironically, the car is running and driving perfectly fine.....code will probably scan as "No Apparent Reason"......

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #5946
SRGW
Advanced Member
SRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL1
Post Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Friday had a new muffler and strap installed. Saturday had to install a water pump.

1995 SL1 236,300 2005>2018
1997 SL1 75,200 2014>????
CHECK YOUR OIL!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SRGW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SRGW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SRGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #5947
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Gold_Uranus View Post
Parked it under the cover in the driveway for a couple days already... Found out that the sunroof leaks (surprise...) during out lovely weather this time of the year here in Florida. Didn't work already, looks like it's been sealed shut with black silicone sealant of some sort, it's dried out and splitting... I'll scrape the old stuff out, MIGHT try to figure out WHY it doesn't work, would be neat to get it working and maybe get it to seal correctly. But if all else fails I'll just reseal it...
Old thread linked here, not sure if he is still selling stuff (fixing my sunroof is on my list of things to do as well )

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156881

The leaks are often related to the sunroof drains (one in each corner) being either disconnected or clogged. See trottida's post/diagram here

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222895

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:50 PM   #5948
A2Saturn
A2Saturn is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Had the garage replace my belt tensioner, idler pulley, and belt. This repair eliminated the unpleasant whirring sound from under the hood.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to A2Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help A2Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
A2Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #5949
454cid

Finally got the new valve cover gasket on. I discovered a small crack the other day, and wondered how it happened. I think I figured it out today. The passenger side motor mount
interferes with the valve cover. I didn't try to move the motor mount. One of those bolt holes in the timing cover is already stripped and held in place with Loctite.

The crack doesn't look to go all the way through the plastic, so I don't think it will be a problem. The Felpro gasket looks like it should seal pretty well. The old one leaked oil into the plug wells. It looks like the timing cover was pulled, and the "mechanic" goobered up the original valve cover gasket with something like RTV. The old gasket was hard, and cracked or at least the center section came out in two pieces.

I'm also soaking my oil soaked truck carpet in the pan of degreaser I soaked the valve cover... it was really too weak for the valve covers baked on oil, but it might work on the carpet. I was going to toss it, but other than the dirty motor oil, it looked to be in great shape.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #5950
focusofheart
focusofheart has a spectacular aura aboutfocusofheart has a spectacular aura aboutfocusofheart has a spectacular aura about

1998 SL2

Quote:
I'm also soaking my oil soaked truck carpet in the pan of degreaser I soaked the valve cover... it was really too weak for the valve covers baked on oil, but it might work on the carpet. I was going to toss it, but other than the dirty motor oil, it looked to be in great shape.
Just a suggestion - try combining equal parts of 2x or 3X Dawn Liquid Detergent and white vinegar into a spray bottle and use that as a carpet degreaser. Spray on liberally and let work for a few hours. Scrub the carpet a bit then rinse very well. That solution has many other uses as well for the home.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:06 PM   #5951
454cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusofheart View Post
Just a suggestion - try combining equal parts of 2x or 3X Dawn Liquid Detergent and white vinegar into a spray bottle and use that as a carpet degreaser. Spray on liberally and let work for a few hours. Scrub the carpet a bit then rinse very well. That solution has many other uses as well for the home.
Ok thanks. I'll see where I am with it, after the degreaser soak. It'll be several days before I get back to it... I'm working a lot, right now.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2019, 06:18 PM   #5952
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Driver's side Wheel Bearing, Race & Hub replaced.

Race was LOCKED IN - Presses couldn't get it out. Finally used a Dremel to release pressure.

All good AND no more pulling to the right!

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #5953
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Bolted on a power release trunk latch. I can now open my truck with my key fob

It really is the little things that entertain me...

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #5954
454cid

Got the new plugs and wires in.... still messing with the routing. I've got the plastic cover without the wire grooves. I've got a 3 and a 4 wire retainer. I couldn't figure out how they used to be routed, but I just looked at a picture I took. I think the new wires are longer.

The car runs, but still smokes. I still need to change the oil. It's old oil full of B12 Chemtool.

I checked the gap on the plugs, all but one were right on. I torqued the to 20lbs with my beam torque wrench with anti-seize on them. It was tighter than I probably would have gone by hand, but I wanted to use a torque wrench because of the aluminum.

Now I can finally move this thing around again!

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #5955
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
I torqued the to 20lbs with my beam torque wrench with anti-seize on them. It was tighter than I probably would have gone by hand, but I wanted to use a torque wrench because of the aluminum.
To use anti-seize or not to use anti-seize that is the question. The NGK site says not to use it as it alters torque by an increase of 20%.

ngksparkplugs.com - 5 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT SPARK PLUGS
Quote:
1. Anti-seize

NGK spark plugs feature what is known as trivalent plating. This silver- or chrome-colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without the use of anti-seize. NGK tech support has received a number of tech calls from installers who have over-tightened spark plugs because of the use of anti-seize. Anti-seize compound can act as a lubricant altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage.

2. Corona stain

Corona stain is observed as a light brown or tan discoloration above the hex (located on the ceramic body of the spark plug). Corona stain is created by oil or dirt particles surrounding the spark plug. Spark plugs create a high amount of static electricity as they fire, attracting these particles to the exposed ceramic between the plug boot and the hex. Corona stain is completely normal and should not be mistaken for exhaust gas blow-by or broken seals inside the spark plug.

3. Gapping fine-wire spark plugs

In the late 1980s, when fine-wire spark plugs first appeared, installers used incorrect gap tools and procedures resulting in bent or broken-off firing electrodes. As a result, many people assumed that one cannot adjust the gap on a precious metal plug. While most NGK spark plugs are pre-gapped, there are instances where the gap requires modification. NGK recommends a wire-style or feeler gage gap tool, which can adjust the gap without prying against the center electrode. NGK also recommends adjusting the gap no more than +/- 0.008” from the preset gap.

4. Torque

Torque is critical in the plug’s ability to dissipate heat and perform properly. Always follow the manufacturer’s recommended torque specification. An under-torqued spark plug can lead to excessive vibration and improper heat dissipation, causing spark plug and/or engine damage. An over-torqued spark plug may cause thread damage or breakage, or compromise internal seals within the spark plug, leading to improper heat dissipation or exhaust gas blow-by.

5.“Copper spark plugs”

“Copper spark plugs” is a term mistakenly used for a standard material spark plug. A standard material spark plug traditionally uses a nickel-alloy outer material fused to a copper core. Almost all spark plugs use a copper core center to conduct the electricity, jump the gap, and promote heat dissipation. However, as an outer electrode material, copper would not be a good choice, as it is soft and has a low melting point (resulting in a plug that would last minutes, not miles). Nearly all NGK spark plugs, including precious metals iridium and platinum, have a copper core. When one talks in terms of nickel alloys, platinum and iridium, one is referring to its durability, or how long a spark plug will last before it needs to be replaced. However, when one talks about copper, he or she is referring to its ability to conduct electricity that is needed to fire across the gap and ignite the air-fuel mixture.

2001 SL1 MT (433,500 km @ 06/2019)
1999 SL2 MT (277,300 km @ 06/2019)
2011 Suburban LT (128,250 km @ 06/2019)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 06-19-2019 at 11:18 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #5956
454cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
To use anti-seize or not to use anti-seize that is the question. The NGK site says not to use it as it alters torque by an increase of 20%.
Yeah, I probably should have gone lower than spec because of the anti-seize.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-19-2019, 07:34 PM   #5957
focusofheart
focusofheart has a spectacular aura aboutfocusofheart has a spectacular aura aboutfocusofheart has a spectacular aura about

1998 SL2

I began the process of wrapping my car today. I will have the car wrapped over the course of 3 visits due to my daily time constraints.

The shop receipt shows they used Oracal Premium 3.5 mil Cast Vinyl - 286 Bottle Green. So far I am very happy with how the surface has turned out.

shop link: https://updog.com/

This morning at 9am:

Completed:

These images were taken with an old flip phone so they lack sharpness. The images are also linked to the Photo Gallery where a larger image is available.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #5958
focusofheart

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusofheart View Post
...The shop receipt shows they used Oracal Premium 3.5 mil Cast Vinyl - 286 Bottle Green...
This correction is for Signmaster, because I am certain he can tell the difference in colors - LOL!

The shop ended up using 677 Fir Tree Green Metallic for the color wrap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-21-2019, 08:18 PM   #5959
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

New valve cover day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5974.jpg (204.8 KB, 10 views)

1997 SL2, 114K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:36 PM   #5960
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
New valve cover day
Sharp!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote