SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
Yngpreach
Junior Member
Yngpreach is on a distinguished road
 
Yngpreach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 10

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Im out of options and $$$

I bout a 2000 Saturn LS2 1 owner w/ 104000 miles roughly 3 years ago. It now has 140000 miles now and a Beautiful car. I have two problems with this car.

1. Im only getting 245 miles per tank of gas, weather I drive it on the highway or in the city.
Here is what I have done. Timing belt & water pump replaced @ 108000, Fuel filter changed, cabin air filter, under the hood air filter changed, oil is changed every 3000 miles. Throttle Body & MAS has been cleaned out, tires are rotated and balanced every other oil change. Spark plugs changed, and fuel injection cleaner has been used and I still only get 245 miles per tank of gas.

2. PROBLEM TWO.
Im having a big issue of this car cranking but not turning over. It's happening now more than ever. One day it wont start. I will let it sit for a couple days, come out to the car and it will start right up, i can drive it for a few days and then the same thing will happen a again. I will have it towed to my mechanic and it will start for him. I pick it up, i can drive it for a few days, same thing happens again. I will try to start it for 3 days straight, NOTHING! I have it towed to the dealership, it starts for them and they tell me nothing is wrong with my car.

Im tired of spending money on tows, diagnoses and Im sick of looking like an idiot. Some please give me some insight.

Last edited by Yngpreach; 07-03-2012 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: added additional information

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yngpreach's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yngpreach reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yngpreach is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
fdryer
Super Member
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute
 
fdryer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 42,579
 

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

Which engine is this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold
 
Chazberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,103

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yngpreach View Post
2. PROBLEM TWO.
Im having a big issue of this car cranking but not turning over. It's happening now more than ever. One day it wont start. I will let it sit for a couple days, come out to the car and it will start right up, i can drive it for a few days and then the same thing will happen a again. I will have it towed to my mechanic and it will start for him. I pick it up, i can drive it for a few days, same thing happens again. I will try to start it for 3 days straight, NOTHING! I have it towed to the dealership, it starts for them and they tell me nothing is wrong with my car.
Welcome aboard. I'm thinking this is the 3.0L V6?
My first thought - an intermittent Crankshaft Position Sensor can give you these symptoms.
You also might do better re-posting this in the L-series Tech section.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
Yngpreach
Junior Member
Yngpreach is on a distinguished road
 
Yngpreach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 10

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

This is the 3.0 V6

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
Welcome aboard. I'm thinking this is the 3.0L V6?
My first thought - an intermittent Crankshaft Position Sensor can give you these symptoms.
You also might do better re-posting this in the L-series Tech section.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yngpreach's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yngpreach reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yngpreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
fdryer
Super Member
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute
 
fdryer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 42,579
 

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

As mentioned, add the engine and model to your personal profile so it pops up under your name. And search the L-series tech threads about intermittent crank position sensor faults.

We have members confusing L-series with S-series, one engine for another, etc., and we wind up playing twenty questions.

If this is a cps issue, all starting attempts will flood the engine without a start. Whatever the outcome, try starting without throttle and if the engine doesn't fire up, hold the pedal to the floor for all subsequent starts - this tells the ecm to shut off injectors while starting to dry out the engine and allow the spark to work instead of shorting from soaked plugs.

The cps is next to the oil filter. There are many 'experts' that don't recognize intermittent failures. Here on Saturnfans its a recurrence across a few models with the same symptoms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
Yngpreach
Junior Member
Yngpreach is on a distinguished road
 
Yngpreach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 10

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
As mentioned, add the engine and model to your personal profile so it pops up under your name. And search the L-series tech threads about intermittent crank position sensor faults.

We have members confusing L-series with S-series, one engine for another, etc., and we wind up playing twenty questions.

If this is a cps issue, all starting attempts will flood the engine without a start. Whatever the outcome, try starting without throttle and if the engine doesn't fire up, hold the pedal to the floor for all subsequent starts - this tells the ecm to shut off injectors while starting to dry out the engine and allow the spark to work instead of shorting from soaked plugs.

The cps is next to the oil filter. There are many 'experts' that don't recognize intermittent failures. Here on Saturnfans its a recurrence across a few models with the same symptoms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yngpreach's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yngpreach reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yngpreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold
 
Chazberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,103

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

To test the CKP, check the resistance. A good one reads 900-1000 Ohms across the terminals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CKP.JPG (87.5 KB, 192 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:35 PM   #8
Mkharris
Junior Member
Mkharris is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 41
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
To test the CKP, check the resistance. A good one reads 900-1000 Ohms across the terminals.
This helps so much. We have replaced this sensor 3 times already. However it has never caused our car to do this. So we just simply figured it was something else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mkharris's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mkharris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mkharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:55 PM   #9
markwood007788
Junior Member
markwood007788 is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 16
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

I will miss the Saturn client benefit philosophy the greater part of all. Up until now, the approved specialist co-op has not satisfied my desires. One would believe that they would take something that did work and add it to their plan of action. IT appears that GM and their merchants simply need to delete all hints of Saturn. Much appreciated Charlie for keeping Saturns memory alive. It is much valued. Cheerful New Year to all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to markwood007788's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help markwood007788 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
markwood007788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sky options? Green98SC2 Sky General 26 03-30-2006 01:28 PM
Options Dj_Xao L-Series General 2 01-15-2004 11:55 AM
Must have Options SW2Muck General Saturn Discussion 25 09-03-2003 09:44 AM
What options? KJB Vue General 3 07-01-2003 06:46 PM
Options LWZen Ion General 13 11-29-2001 10:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:55 PM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.