SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
Default Towing on a dolly

I recently towed my SC2 on a tow dolly. It has a fault steering wheel lock. When I turned around a corner the steering wheels also turned resulting in the car running into the fenders and knocking one off.

Reading online people suggest (a) you're stupid (b) use a rope to tie the wheel or (c) you're stupid.

Is there a recommended way to 'lock' the steering wheels?

I was thinking of the security wheel lock (security bar) but don't want to spend the money until I know it'll work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to proveniebam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help proveniebam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
proveniebam is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Towing on a dolly

I'm going with (D), first time with a trailer.

We didn't have a problem with my SC2 on U-Hauls dolly, secured the front wheels to the dolly unlocked the column and didn't take corner's like there wasn't a trailer behind us.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2
Default Re: Towing on a dolly

I would go with your wheels were not securely tightened down. I've towed around 80 saturns with my tow dolly. The furthest I've towed was 1600 miles from NC to CO.

Whenever I hook up a Saturn on my dolly, I go around a few turns and then pull over and retighten my straps. I often (not always) unlock the steering wheel to give a little more flexibility with turns.

The other possibility is that the dolly is too narrow for the car. How about a picture?
Here's my rig:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote