SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 04:09 PM   #1
Emanuel
Emanuel is on a distinguished road

Default Hot headlight switch on L series

The left stalk on the steering wheel on my 2000 LS1 was getting rather warm when the headlights were on. Brought it to Saturn Service; they replaced the switch. Service manager said it was visibly 'cooked', and when they see that, they replace the switch.
However, he said the part had not been redesigned.

Two questions:
1. How common is this?
2. is there any fire hazard?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Emanuel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Emanuel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2001, 04:57 PM   #2
Three Rings
Three Rings is on a distinguished road

It's a common problem with the L series. I had our switch replaced many months ago (2000 LS1).

Have not heard of any fires, I would hope the headlight circuit breaker would open before it got that bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Three Rings's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Three Rings reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2001, 10:59 PM   #3
Iceman

My 2000 LW2, has had 2 of the headlight stalks replaced in the past 20 months...the last one was put in about 3 months ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Iceman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Iceman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 08-16-2001, 09:14 AM   #4
Tony
Tony is on a distinguished road

The headlight switch on my LS2 blew a 10 amp fuse that also feed the dash lights. It was replaced and no more trouble. However I do not believe that it got hot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tony's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tony reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2001, 08:33 AM   #5
skijay
skijay will become famous soon enough

My 2001 L100 had this problem develop within 1 week of ownership. The dealer I purchased my car from stated this was normal. While driving at night for three hours the stalk got so hot that it started to smell like melting plastic. I went to a DIFFERENT dealership and they said it was NOT normal and would order a new part. It was a "resistance" problem in the stalk. New part installed, Had no problems. TRY a different dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skijay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skijay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2001, 10:21 AM   #6
tucker92sl2
tucker92sl2 is on a distinguished road

I thought I read in a previous post about the Daytime Running light relay causing this. The post said that he removed the relay and jumpered together the 87/30 posts, keeping his both bright lights w/o having DRL's. But he also noted that the stalk didn't get hot anymore. Could it be the DRL relay? . I know GM use's the bright's with a lower amp for those. I think that car was a L-series also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tucker92sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tucker92sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread