SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
abinder
abinder is on a distinguished road

Default EGR valve cleaning

I've read some of the EGR valve threads and the way to clean the EGR valve seems to vary a lot.

I was wondering what's the best way to clean the EGR valve on my 98 Saturn SL1, manual transmission (225,000 miles). Sea foam? Carb cleaner? WD40? Is it a good idea to 'pour' some Seam foam down the holes of the engine that the EGR valve covers?

Also, are Sea foam and Sea foam Deep Creep the same thing?

Thanks for any info and suggestions.

Allen

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to abinder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help abinder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
abinder is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
mac99sl2
Advanced Member
mac99sl2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
1999 SL2
Default Re: EGR valve cleaning

I used Throttle body cleaner because I was cleaning my TB the same day. I had to spray the **** out of it and even scrape the carbon off with a small screwdriver. You want to be sure that the pintle moves FREELY. You don't want to feel any sticking when it contacts the surrounding metal. Try not to get the elecronics wet. I used a small steel brush to get the build up off of the face then moved to a hard toothbrush to make it pretty. Use a screwdriver to hold the pintle in while you clean the pintle seating area well. Take your time and all that crap should loosen up. If it is real crusty spray a bunch of your cleaner into a small bowl and set the egr in so that the cleaner is around the crusty area and soak it for 10 or so minutes then start scraping. Some say it's okay to reuse the gasket but for 3 bucks just buy a new one. Those are my two cents...good luck!

Do or do not, there is no try. -Yoda

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mac99sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mac99sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mac99sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
MINICooperS
MINICooperS is a jewel in the roughMINICooperS is a jewel in the roughMINICooperS is a jewel in the rough

Carb cleaner and a Torx bit in a slow speed drill for the pintel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MINICooperS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MINICooperS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MINICooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If you have an air compressor you can hold the pintle in tight contact with its seat while spinning with the torx bit in a drill.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
donnyjaguar
donnyjaguar is on a distinguished road

I was all set to go out and buy a new EGR valve for my 2000 SL1, 5spd until I read they can be cleaned. This is great! Question. Where the devil is the EGR valve located and what's the best strategy for removal? I've done a tune up on the car and this is the last code on the OBD-II readout. The car appears to be running fine, btw. Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to donnyjaguar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help donnyjaguar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
donnyjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It will help a bunch if you stick the year and model of your car in your profile. might as well add your general location too. It helps.

Check the How-To Library on here for details on cleaning. The first post in the library is a listing of the richpin videos and there is one for cleaning the EGR.

The EGR is the black round item sticking up at the right end of the head when looking at the engine. There is an electrical connector on the top of it if you have a 95 or laster car. It is held on by 2 bolts and a bracket. Loosen the bracket nut at the throttle body and it will swing out of the way. A meteric socket set is required to remove the EGR. Clean it with the cheapest carb/throttle body cleaner you can find at the parts store, you need several cans. Buy an new gasket while you are there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
noanoxan
noanoxan is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

just putting this out there, since cleaning didn't work for me, but you could block it off. I've had mine blocked for a week now without issues. no lights either. used a piece of throttle body gasket.

car doesn't fall on its face in 1st-3rd anymore, so it works for me. and I live in fl, so no scamissions (new word I made up. it fits.)

edit: you'll need a 10mm deep-well socket, regardless.

---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to noanoxan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help noanoxan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
noanoxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
2003MercMaraude
2003MercMaraude is on a distinguished road

EGR is not a bad thing on a car that is designed to have it. It keeps the combustion temps down which actually allows you to run more spark advance than you could under some conditions without it. Since you didn't change your PCM controlled timing map and now have no EGR, I'd want to see if you are picking up more knock counts than before. There's no reason to remove EGR on a 100 or 124 hp econo car if it's fixable.

Rides:

2004 Ford Taurus SEL
2003 Mercury Marauder
1988 Chevy K1500
1976 Pontiac Firebird

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2003MercMaraude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2003MercMaraude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2003MercMaraude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
donnyjaguar
donnyjaguar is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the good info. The car is a 2000 SL1 5spd. If the weather warms up I'll take a poke at cleaning it this weekend. There's also a video on Youtube I found that shows the location. I'm not going to block the EGR off as I'm sure that would have a negative effect on my next sniffer test. Mind you, my friend got a pass on his Buick with the catalytic converter removed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to donnyjaguar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help donnyjaguar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
donnyjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
Telyx
Telyx is on a distinguished road

2002 SL

You probably won't even have to loosen the bracket OldNuc mentions--I take my EGR valve out every now and then for cleaning, and it will make it out past the bracket if you turn it a little. One electrical connector and two 10mm bolts--out, cleaned, and back in in about 10 minutes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Telyx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Telyx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Telyx is offline   Reply With Quote