SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
TXTABBY
TXTABBY is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Question SL2 Belt Tensioner Pully

I was looking for a rattle at acceleration (from a stop, AC on) and saw the bolt on my belt tensioner pully doing a dance, up and down. It wasn't turning/loosening and the pully itself looked rock-solid as it was turning. Take it in and have the pully tightened/replaced?
I read up on how to change the tensioner...I don't have any jackstands yet to get underneath and fix it otherwise I would...thanks.

Usetahave 1994 SL2 105,000 mi. avg. 29-30 mpg
Austin, TX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXTABBY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXTABBY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXTABBY is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
katarn444
katarn444 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: SL2 Belt Tensioner Pully

You should be able to tighten it from the top. Both the idler and tensioner pulleys can be pulled from the top.

K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to katarn444's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help katarn444 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
katarn444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:24 AM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Assuming that you mean the pulley bolt and not the tensioner hold down bolts. The tension (pulley) will normally have some movement up and down with the engine running. If the spring is weak though it can dance enough to cause a noise.
Engine running CAREFULLY take a long screwdriver or pry bar and place the end of it on the pulley bolt. Push down and see if the noise changes or goes away with the dampening pressure of the bar on the pulley.

Don't get mutilated doing this.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
TXTABBY

1994 SL2

NO KIDDING! I'll try it, but am almost positive it's the pulley bolt. As I said above, the pulley itself is "rock-solid" as its turning, meaning it's not doing the "dance", but the bolt itself is jumping up and down some. Sears has a sale so I'm going to pick up a set of metric ratcheting box-end wrenches and some jack stands today.
Gotta start doing more of the routine maintenance myself...

Austin, TX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TXTABBY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

As I'm sure that the following is well known, but just to remind, the bolt holding down the pulley component of the tensioner unit, tightens by turning it counter-clockwise.

With this in mind, usually the accessory belt riding on the pulley itself, thus, usually results in the bolt not working itself loose.

BTW, not that it needs it, but I can confirm S Siscarman's commentary regards:
Quote:
Engine running CAREFULLY take a long screwdriver or pry bar and place the end of it on the pulley bolt. Push down and see if the noise changes or goes away with the dampening pressure of the bar on the pulley.
, for I did that very procedure just last weekend.

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
TXTABBY

1994 SL2

Just took another look at it...and I'll still see if it needs tightening, but yea, kinda hard to understand how something that's running in the same direction to tighten it can loosen up. I did the above procedure and no change. Now, off to Sears...

Austin, TX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!