SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2018, 10:41 PM   #1
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

Default Astra ECM or ECU Replacement

Astra ECM or ECU Replacement GM 55564092

The Engine Control Module ECM or Engine Control Unit ECU is the brains of the engine management system. ECM failure is very common problem of all 1.8 Astras with the same engine system type. The failure is caused by the ECM design and location, because it cannot dissipate heat naturally combined with corrosion, engine vibration, and extreme temperature differentials.

Europe’s experienced shops, articles will say the fault usually displays warning lights all over the place with a huge range of faulty codes blaming the electronic throttle body, air temperature sensors, etc. Yes, they will always confirm: It is a major Astra well-known problem.

We have 2 options:

1) Get your own one repaired or rebuild with refreshed software (no programming or coding needed). Send to the UK and get back ready to install plug and play, save money!

2) Get a new ECM fitted and programmed by the dealership. Expensive! Does not guarantee back to the original state, due to the lack of tech support.

I usually commute with my Astra full year-round from cold winters to hot summers (0 F - 100 F). I will wash my engine at least 3 times in a year. After 10 years may the ECM seals become worn out? So, moisture may corroded the ECM? Or, probably due to the upgraded sound system, steering wheel stalk, hid headlights, hid fogs, faulty relays, fuses, bad connectors, etc the loaded software may become corrupted and unstable?

When I was working in my fogs, I had to turn on the engine. Little after that my engine start to run very unstable: The amber engine light come on, the recharging red battery light was flashing, the idle needle indicator was near 2000 rpm unstable, etc. A complete mess! Right there it was pointing to an electronic failure. It was about to happen anytime, anywhere! So, I had to tow back to the dealership. In few days will be ready.

My suggestion to you is to be aware of the ECM failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velocast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velocast is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
AstraFasta
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Astra ECM or ECU Replacement

Maybe not fully related. But alternative issue. . .

Moisture seems to migrate into the black fuse box which is located under the hood, near the windscreen. Happened to me probably twice. The typical codes I have seen include "throttle position sensor" but there have been others. Drying the box and components resolved all codes.

Not sure where the moisture comes from. Vibration seems to loosen the two plastic clips a few times so I am always checking to make sure that box is securely closed. Also someone changing a battery or disconnecting the battery etc. might inadvertently dislodge the black cover.

The black 0-ring gasket is rather suspect. I make sure that is seated correctly. A similar 0-ring was poorly aligned on the cabin air intake at the firewall of my Astra and killed a few resistor packs & fans. I fixed that by realigning the 0-ring and adding a bunch of silicone. It was a rather painful effort but only took a few hours.

There is also the possibility water migrates from below into the box.

There are some posts here showing a few easy steps to disassemble and dry the box and components out. They have worked for me.

A more permanent fix might be to add a thin bead of silicone to help the 0-ring and add a few zip-ties to make sure the box is closed. I have not done either so don't have an opinion either way.

Last edited by AstraFasta; 10-21-2018 at 03:39 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:51 PM   #3
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
Maybe not fully related. But alternative issue. . .

Moisture seems to migrate into the black fuse box which is located under the hood, near the windscreen. Happened to me probably twice. The typical codes I have seen include "throttle position sensor" but there have been others. Drying the box and components resolved all codes.

Not sure where the moisture comes from. Vibration seems to loosen the two plastic clips a few times so I am always checking to make sure that box is securely closed. Also someone changing a battery or disconnecting the battery etc. might inadvertently dislodge the black cover.

The black 0-ring gasket is rather suspect. I make sure that is seated correctly. A similar 0-ring was poorly aligned on the cabin air intake at the firewall of my Astra and killed a few resistor packs & fans. I fixed that by realigning the 0-ring and adding a bunch of silicone. It was a rather painful effort but only took a few hours.

There is also the possibility water migrates from below into the box.

There are some posts here showing a few easy steps to disassemble and dry the box and components out. They have worked for me.

A more permanent fix might be to add a thin bead of silicone to help the 0-ring and add a few zip-ties to make sure the box is closed. I have not done either so don't have an opinion either way.
This could be the issue with my codes. For the last 3 winters (well just colder weather in general, 50F or below) my check engine light always comes on and gives me throttle position sensor and MAF. Weird as the lights go away when it starts to warm up. Also I have replaced my TPS 2 times now (second time under warranty). Usually ends up giving no response until about 50% or more. Ill check mine out tomorrow as I just washed the motor of my car a few days ago.

'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FreedomSoftware's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
AstraFasta
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

This simple guide with lots of photos helped me

https://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co...fira-b.371985/

Also see posts #17 & 18 below

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208132

Finally, for fun you also can clean the MAF carefully, but use ONLY MAF spray as other chemicals will kill the delicate wires. While you are at it, you might replace your air filter and clean the throttlebody. Make sure to tighten the pipes and airbox well. These may be unrelated to your current issues but are popular Astra issues so worth the time once you get the UEC sorted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:50 PM   #5
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

I just got back my Astra running strong full power like always does – sometimes intimidating. Of course, without any issues!

Here is what the dealership did:

-Diagnostic Codes P2119, P2100 for throttle body failure
-Checked throttle body’s wiring and connectors
-Checked ECM’s wiring and connectors
-Replaced ECM and programmed
-Original throttle body reset still Codes coming
-New ECM throwing transmission related Codes
-Replaced with new throttle body and reset Codes
-Found 20-amp ignition fuse missing
-Replaced fuse: idle reset OK; reinstalled original ECM and re-programmed OK; Road test OK; No DTCS RESET OK

Shocking, the dealership ADDED A FUSE ON LOCATION 19. Our owner’s manual does NOT show all the fuses and relays for the XR and XE versions (see page 9-35). It is bit misleading!

Opel Astra H variant 1 shows fuse on location 19 is for the transmission electronics (30-amp). That is maybe the reason why my transmission is little bit smooth and responsive. Anyway, is running like always does! Good for me!

Just in case I will replace the new 20-amp fuse for a 30-amp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2019, 12:04 AM   #6
velocast

Default Re: Astra ECM or ECU Programmed

Solved: New ACDELCO 55564082 Electronic Computer Monitor (ECM) Programmed

When you are working with electrical related parts always disconnect the battery! I remember my ECM got crashed because I did not disconnect the battery when I replaced my Throttle Body, Headlight Switch, and Headlamps all at the same time (my stupidity). The dealership had hard time but got reprogramed using the same old ECM. Back then, they could not program the new one ACDELCO 55564082.

You can find the ACDELCO 55564082 at rockauto.com

That ECM can be programmed by the dealership. If they tell you “can’t do it,” you tell them, yes it can be done with the GM Service Bulletin No 16-NA-165. Here is the link to print out so you can give to them

https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/SB-10108636-9340.pdf

GM Service Bulletin No 16-NA-165
Date May, 2016

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2019, 08:28 PM   #7
Astra08
Astra08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Good info to have on hand, thanks.

Dealerships view the Astra as a UFO these days. Any info you have at hand is useful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote