SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2019, 10:52 PM   #1
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Bilstein Shocks and struts

Ok, so about a year ago I got some ****ty springs and Delco shocks to lower my car. Never have lowered my car but I learned quickly that cheaping out obviously isnt the way to go. Car rides like ****, loud as hell, and they are so worn they need replaced already.

So what I'm looking for is some Bilstein shocks and struts. I'm also going to be going with some Eibach springs this time.

My question is if anyone knows the part numbers or is able to help me find the right bilstein shocks and struts that will fit the NA Astra. I know some stuff is interchangeable and fits both EURO and NA Astra. But, I'm not 100% sure on the fitment.

https://www.eibachshop.co.uk/info-pa...-%2001.05.2009
I found these kits on the Eibach website listed for the Astra H 1.8L

Any information would be very helpful. Thankyou

'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FreedomSoftware's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
AstraFasta
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Bilstein Shocks and struts

We just spent a lot of time looking for struts for a 4 door Saturn Astra. This was an XR but had the upgraded "sports supspension" option from the factory which were different struts than the basic XR.

It seems GM now only sells the softer XE struts in the US (which are updated parts numbers). There may be a delay in delivery due to UAW strikes.

Front left 93195924
Front right 93195925

Also, most of the GM online catalogues seem to cut off some of the descriptor text making the search more difficult (XR, XE, Sport, transmission type...)

https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/e...a/06/za06-103/

This site gives Bilstein catalogue. You can go to main page to select english language.

http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default...7018001&12=101

I think the B4 is soft, B6 is stiffer, B8 is for lowered but you need to research as I don't remember 100%. That link says the B4 & B6 are for standard chassis and B8 is for sports chassis, but I'm pretty sure the description marketing material from Bilstein says differently; just search the internet (sorry I didn't bookmark those descriptive marketing links).

For European search they sold a ton of versions you want the Astra H (mark 5) with z18xer as the diesel engines are very heavy and the smaller engines are very light.

Maybe you can do a group import from Europe.

This is the GTC:

http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default...01&14=4&12=130

This is the Astra Hatch:

http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default...01&14=4&12=130

User @Goob will have more info as I threw out my notes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:13 PM   #3
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomSoftware View Post
Ok, so about a year ago I got some ****ty springs and Delco shocks to lower my car. Never have lowered my car but I learned quickly that cheaping out obviously isnt the way to go. Car rides like ****, loud as hell, and they are so worn they need replaced already.

So what I'm looking for is some Bilstein shocks and struts. I'm also going to be going with some Eibach springs this time.

My question is if anyone knows the part numbers or is able to help me find the right bilstein shocks and struts that will fit the NA Astra. I know some stuff is interchangeable and fits both EURO and NA Astra. But, I'm not 100% sure on the fitment.

https://www.eibachshop.co.uk/info-pa...-%2001.05.2009
I found these kits on the Eibach website listed for the Astra H 1.8L

Any information would be very helpful. Thankyou

Hey Hoosier,

Not only do I have the part numbers, but I have proof they fit.

Please see this thread just below from 3/19/19 for the B6 & B8 part numbers. It seems that in 2018, Bilstein changed their numbering system, but you may still see the new and old part numbers around the net.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228934

It is difficult to push the enter button when you want to be sure you are getting something that fits and you don't want to spend 20-30% of the purchase price to send something back to Europe. So go forward and find the same information for what you believe is the same car on both shores. Multiple places.

I found our auto described multiple places as Series Atra H (Mk5) A04, Model Range (chassis) L48, with the 1.8L benzin/petrol 103KW/140HP engine. Don't believe me, but confirm for yourself.

I found the rear shocks for just $90 each at Summit Racing with an e-coupon published on their site banner. Compared to the prices in Europe for the same thing and the shipping, I thought this was a good deal and jumping off point to do some hard shopping and find the remaining parts for the least price in Europe. Our car shares this strut with a couple other vehicles, including the Chevy HHR weird truck,and so they stock for them, not the 15,000 Astras in NA.

Further down the thread above,you will see I found the Eibach Sportline springs in Poland from "Rally Shop World" for just $184 including shipping. Here is their eBay store: https://www.ebay.com/usr/rallyshop_w...p2047675.l2559

And the front struts were $340 including shipping from www.partsoutlet24.com.

So my total was $734.

After conversion, the shop you are looking at is $853. If you want it all at once, the Rally Shop guys match this price and include shipping.

I had a go at my links and the prices are still the same, save for Summit Racing on the B8 24-114684's. They are $100 again, but get free shipping.

Proof it all fits:

Front Link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11bX...ew?usp=sharing

Front Spring and Strut

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11gi...ew?usp=sharing

Rear Spring and Shock

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11aE...ew?usp=sharing

Best of luck.

Last edited by JFS; 10-06-2019 at 10:26 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
AstraFasta
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Thanks JFS.

The partsoutlet24 seems to have a sale on the B6 and B8 for the Astra noting 42-48% discounts; these are in the $100 range front and back. (Prices include local VAT (Euro sales tax) of about 20% - you should contact the seller as that should be removed for export but additional international shipping charges added back).

One can cross reference the parts number to the Bilstein Cataloge I linked below to help confirm fitment.

I lived in Europe a long time and European cars have much stiffer suspension bits. They export soft suspensions on US cars for the lower speeds and lousy roads. So the Euro market B6 might be quite stiff.

FYI the The Eibach springs are not on sale.

https://www.partsoutlet24.com/en/pro...+-+1.8+2.05%3e

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:09 PM   #5
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
Thanks JFS.

The partsoutlet24 seems to have a sale on the B6 and B8 for the Astra noting 42-48% discounts; these are in the $100 range front and back. (Prices include local VAT (Euro sales tax) of about 20% - you should contact the seller as that should be removed for export but additional international shipping charges added back).

One can cross reference the parts number to the Bilstein Cataloge I linked below to help confirm fitment.

I lived in Europe a long time and European cars have much stiffer suspension bits. They export soft suspensions on US cars for the lower speeds and lousy roads. So the Euro market B6 might be quite stiff.

FYI the The Eibach springs are not on sale.

https://www.partsoutlet24.com/en/pro...+-+1.8+2.05%3e
My bad. They went down $3.00.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eibach-Spor...item2ac6021bd2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
goob
goob is on a distinguished road

JFS,

Did you end up going with the B6 or B8's for your front struts?

Gary

08 Salsa Red Astra XR 5dr 5spd
Spt Pkg, Prem. Aud. and Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #7
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

JFS, thanks for the research and write-up on the Bilsteins! Lots of good info there. I found the prices on Bilstein's website to be similar to what you found. Should be a fun project.

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:09 PM   #8
FreedomSoftware

2008 Astra XR

Sorry about the late reply. Been tracking down information about replacing my clutch next all this last week.

That is a lot of information, thanks for the write up and well done. This is basically everything I was looking for. I bought my car with 78k miles and I am the 4th owner. The suspension was pretty wore out and so was the clutch when I got it. Again I tried cheating out when "lowering" my car and I'm paying for it in the end (think I paid $450 all said and done including the labor so that shows how bad I cheaped out.)

'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-13-2019, 10:59 PM   #9
FreedomSoftware

2008 Astra XR

JFS I saw you mention about writing up a report about your install. And were going to take some pictures, did you ever get around to that?

'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-14-2019, 01:18 AM   #10
JFS

2008 Astra XR

I recently had some changes at work and new requirements after due to some health changes regarding my mother-in-law.

I will not have step-by-step instructions, but some helpful ones with description of what I encountered. I did most of this in July, during our hottest July in quire a while, so I found myself concentrating on the work, not so much documenting.

I hope to tie things up soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation